Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wyosue58

Laundry Room layout-Need Help.

2 years ago

In my new house plan, I have moved the laundry room to be across from my pantry instead of by the garage.

Right now it is 14' 5" x 8' 8". Is that wide enough? If I need to add more width I can do that.

The north side cabinets are 24" deep, the south side is 29" deep to give enough room behind the washer, dryer, and freezer. The cabinet between the washer and dryer has a clothes hamper with storage above.

The doorway is 40" wide--is that wide enough? I did want to add a trash bin but not sure where to put it. Any suggestions?

On the north side are spaces for a laundry basket and folding countertop. Above that area will be a rod to hang closes. I hope there is enough room. The cabinet about is 15" high.

Thanks,

Comments (11)

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I wouldn’t have anything between the washer and dryer. Move the hamper to the left side of the washer.

Will you use an iron and ironing board, or maybe a steamer?

What else will you do in this room? Fix things? Arrange flowers? Repair clothing? store batteries, other cleaning supplies?

• 2 years ago

bpath,

Thanks for your comments.

The reason the tall cabinet is in between the washer and dryer is for ease of putting the dirty clothes in the washer. The washer is on the left (door hinges on the right) and the dryer on the right. There is a drawer (shelf) that pulls out to put the laundry basket on to transfer the wet clothes to the dryer.

I will have a large sewing room for ironing. I will have some cleaning supplies and other things in the laundry room. I will also have a storage room for larger items and a furnace and mudroom.

Thanks again

• 2 years ago

Hmm,i can see your point about the hamper to washer. But do you mean the waher door hinges on the left? on the other hand, moving clothes from washer to dryer, wet, is much, much easier when they are next to each other.

So, what are all the other drawers abd cabinets for?

• 2 years ago

Mine are not next to one another and it's not an issue at all. I like having my cabinet inbetween for sorting clothes, spraying them, etc.

• 2 years ago

I would make the upper area open between the machines.

• 2 years ago

I’d have a shelf between at about shoulder level for the detergent.

• 2 years ago

@cpartist

Thanks for the photos. I never thought about leaving it open above the hamper. How wide is your cabinet? Mine is 21". Do you have doors to cover your appliances?

I just enlarged the photo--so you have a folding ironing board and not a hamper?

Thanks again.

• 2 years ago

@bpath

So, what are all the other drawers and cabinets for?

I know this is not a good reason but for balance. I will store extra supplies and towels for cleaning.

• 2 years ago

It’s always good to have room for cleaning supplies, rags, paper towels, batteries, flashlights, small tools, glues, elastic bands, doo-dads. As long as there’s a plan!

• 2 years ago

@bpath

I know this is probably overkill but I have NO STORAGE in my present house.

• 2 years ago

@cpartist and @bpath

Does this look better?

The spacing is off for the appliances but I hope you know what I am going for.

EDIT: I left the hamper 21" wide because I am not sure 18" wide will work for a hamper.