Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghibie19

“Flowering Blue Flower suggestions, anyone”

Ghibie19
2 years ago

I would like to plant a fragrant shrub or vine that blooms with blue blossoms. I like blue flowers.

Please let me hear your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks!

Comments (38)

• callirhoe123
    2 years ago

Where are you located?

Ghibie19 thanked callirhoe123
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Where in the world are you located? What we might suggest may be very dependent on location.

Ghibie19 thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • sam_md
    2 years ago

Probably more lavender than blue this is Alternate-leaf buddleia, a large shrub with arching branches. When finished blooming, not much of intererst. Did you consider one of the blue forms of Hibiscus or Rose-of-Sharon? If you have mild winters consider California Lilac.

Ghibie19 thanked sam_md
  • laceyvail 6A, WV
    2 years ago

Neither Buddleia alternifolia nor Rose of Sharon are fragrant.

Ghibie19 thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • papnnana
    2 years ago

Hydrangea. (Shrub)

Ghibie19 thanked papnnana
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

this is what you are asking for: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=unicorns&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images

and good luck with that .. lol ..

blue vine... morning glory ... the blue one ...

fragrant... perhaps wisteria ... but then many may argue... they arent really blue ...

may as well throw in some larkspur and delphinium on the ground.. when you cant get your fix with your unicorn dreams ...

there also the usual suspects with blue leaves .. hosta and conifers ...

and finally .. hobby lobby has quite an assortment of unusual things.. lol ... and they dont even need water ..

ken

Ghibie19 thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Hydrangeas aren't fragrant either. We need a location to make useful suggestions but fragrant and blue is a tall order.

Ghibie19 thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • papnnana
    2 years ago

You may get fragrant, you may get blue, but getting both together will be a challenge.....SO, Hydrangeas!!!!!! 😁🤗

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sam md

I really do appreciate the lovely photos! I have never seen a live Buddleia.

I am considering looking into seeing if there is a possibly for it to grow here.

Thank you for mentioning Hibiscus. I didn’t know there was a Hibiscus in blue form. All I have ever seen is the red one. Yes, the winter is not at all bad here and we hardly ever see the snow.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Papnnana

I remember seeing this delightful plant during the holiday season. I like it!

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Maackia

You did it!

You are my plant’s angel.

Thank you forever so much!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

You still haven't indicated where on the planet you might be located!! This can have a massive impact on which of the suggested plants might grow successfully for you.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m in zone 9 Arizona.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Then skip the hydrangeas - they will quickly become toast in your climate!! But the blue hibiscus (H. syriacus - Rose of Sharon) and possibly the ceanothus could work. Also caryopteris (aka bluebeard or blue mist) or English lavender. The lavender cultivar 'Hidcote' has very dark, purply-blue flowerhead and is highly fragrant.

Otherwise, there are a fair number of blue flowered perennials that could work - cornflowers, salvia, agapanthus, iris, globe thistle, sea holly (Eryngium), Russian sage.

• Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

More blue: some Alliums , thumbergia (light purple/blue), jacaranda tree (I think it is a very blue purple ...), Borage, Showy penstemon (also kinda purple), Lobelia (more than one blue), Bearded iris

These are fragrant: some sweet peas, Freesias (kinda purple though)

Caveat, I have no idea if they'll grow there. But maybe in a shaded part of your yard? If at all possible, I would try hydrangea - among other things, they are a great cut flower.

Ghibie19 thanked Need2SeeGreen 10 (SoCal)
    2 years ago

What about lupines? do those come in blue?

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Agapanthus, but whether they'll grow In Arizona I don't know.

• papnnana
    2 years ago

Gardengal, I've seen your name so much, have you been on this site a long time?😁

• papnnana
    2 years ago

Ghibie, you're welcome! It's fun to exchange ideas. 😁👍

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    2 years ago

Papnnana, Gardengal has been here for something like 25 years. She has extensive expertise.

Ghibie19 thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • papnnana
    2 years ago

Got it. 👍😁

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Gardengal 48 (PNW Z8/9)

I do have some kind of Lavender and some kind of Sage. I forget what variety they are.

The Lavender is a little bit under the weather right now thou. But love them both.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Need2seeGreen 10 (SoCal)

Sweet Peas sound great! As for Hydrangea, the holiday season seems to be the best to take a closer look at them.

I have also read that some Hydrangea cultivars with their long stems, make good cut flowers. Which variety or varieties would you have some suggestions of? How long will their vase life be?

• sam_md
    2 years ago

Did you consider Chastetree? Summer bloomer, no diseases or insects. Don't know why it wouldn't grow in Arizona.

Ghibie19 thanked sam_md
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I'd give the hydrangeas a miss. They will not be happy in AZ heat and dryness.....you will need to water multiple times a day, which makes little sense in a drought plagued region of the country. The chaste tree is good suggestion however.....very tolerant of hot, dry locations!

• Ghibie19 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • Ghibie19 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

also, baptisia

Ghibie19 thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

Oh, I'm afraid I don't know what kind we have - I think it is pretty ordinary though. What's great about it is, it lasts a long time in the vase - like a couple weeks, if you keep the water fresh. And the color kept intensifying. Ours did not have particularly long stems, but they are in pots, so a bit smaller overall.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Sam_md

You again surprise me with the gorgeous Photos! Thank you!

Can this Chase tree be pruned on occasion? Like, after flowering. How well does it take pruning?

Would you please guide me with how to plant, watering schedule and soil amendments? The soil here is heavy clay and water hardly ever penetrates. When I am trying to plant something I have to add something to the soil whether it be store brought bark or topsoil.

Thank you in advance for you kind help.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Much Thanks to Maackia’s suggestion. I have planted a tiny Perovskia in a location which receives all day sun. I could really use some suggestions on how to keep the tree happy, healthy and successful during this year’s wintering.

All helpful suggestions welcomed. Thank you!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Perovskia isn’t a tree so I hope you weren’t expecting one. If you Google some images you’ll see that it grows about three feet tall and is a perennial subshrub that spreads gradually by underground stems. It is drought tolerant so don’t overwater it. It needs no help to overwinter. It’s perfectly hardy. Depending on your climate it may die to the ground or just become ratty and need cutting to the base in spring.

btw the sage you showed earlier is normal culinary sage.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

Try Texas Mountain Laurel (Sophora secundiflora - it's probably been renamed). Flowers are more on the violet-blue side. But they seem to like the heat. They smell like grape drink.

Ghibie19 thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
  • Jurassic Park
    2 years ago

What about Rosemary and Lavender for blue flowers and fragrance.

And not fragrant but there is also Lily of the Nile.

Ghibie19 thanked Jurassic Park
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Lily of the Nile is the Agapanthus suggested above.

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

It relives my anxiety of not knowing what to expect from Perovskia during this first winter. If the plant happens to die back I will cut it back as you suggested. Very funny sometimes, how a certain plant can have great influence over you. I am trying my best not to fuss to much at this little thing.

Also the Sage is another one of my most favorites. I really appreciate the ID. Thanks!

• Ghibie19
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Margaritaville (Zone 7b/NJ)

I love love Rosemary! This is a pic of a volunteer tiny one that somehow popped up in my garden.