Software
Houzz Logo Print
material_creativity

layout help: pantry cabinet halfway on the wall?

5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We are trying to expand our galley kitchen by taking down a wall. Here is the layout that seems to work based on discussions with two architects. I understand that we can get a lot of storage if we continue the 13” deep pantry all the way to the end of the wall. But 12ft of the narrow pantry is probably too much for our needs. There is also a 3.5 by 5 ft walk-in pantry planned behind the refrigerator wall. Wanted to get your feedback on whether the abrupt stopping of that pantry wall cabinet at 4ft seems too odd. And the distance between the island corner and pantry corner is 32” which is the recommended doorway in a kitchen. We will have seating on the island, somewhere between 2-4. But we don’t plan to use it everyday as our dining area is just next to the kitchen. The corner between RF and pantry cabinet is the offset we need from the bathroom behind it. The KD prefers to finalize the floor plan first before going forward, so I am stuck at this step. Any help on my original question as well as the overall layout is welcome. I have a drawing on the graph paper, but I thought this one looks cleaner:


Comments (7)

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    IMO you can never have enough storage in a kitchen and IMO a narrow walkin pantry outside the actul kitchen work space is never good design BTW you need to place the sink close to the fridge and 32" is way to narrow for a walkway so back to the drawing board I would eliminate that 13" deep pantry and move the wall back into the space for the walkin and add some true pullot pantries on the wall next to the fridge .

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for your feedback! Moving the wall of the fridge may not be an option as it is a load bearing wall. And I am already removing one of them. To place the sink close to the fridge, would it help to swap the fridge and counter? I can remove the 13” deep pantry and extend the fridge wall by just those 13”, but that means swapping a toilet and shower area in the bath next to it. And according to you, the storage without the wall pantry is not enough? We feel the same, and are open to loosing something to gain some.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Do your appliances have to go where you show them?

    A to-scale floorplan will help people give you better advice.

    If you can flip the whole kitchen and make it an L, with the range on the inside (blank) wall, you will have a much better layout. It's not good to have your range in a walkway through your house. If you can move your doorway to the mudroom (not take out the wall), that would be best.

    To answer your original question: no, do not extend that 13" cabinet. You do not have enough space between the island & cabinet for that configuration. 32" may be the size of a doorway but it isn't enough with a chair in front of it.

  • 5 years ago

    @anj_p, you are spot on and sorry I didn’t mention that restriction. The wall where appliance garage is, has drain pipes from upstairs bathrooms. I was told that it would be quite difficult to move that. The range wall is external, so hard to move that. One option to move the range out of that walkway is to move it to the wall with the fridge and move the fridge and sink to the exterior wall. Btw, for the 32” walkway, there is no seating there, just the corner of the island. It is tight and the island can shrink to 36” to increase it, but not sure if it is worth it given that there is nothing else on the wall behind the island for 8 ft, which will leave 50 inches behind the 36 inch island.

  • 5 years ago

    My original question is whether I should have the 4ft wide 13” deep pantry cabinet at all? I am NOT planning to extend it all the way. But I like the 4ft wide narrow storage. I am worried about it stopping abruptly though and the 32” between the cabinet and island corner.

  • 5 years ago

    I thought you had seating at the island? If you do, I assume it's opposite the sink? If that is the case, the seating will block the space between the island and pantry cabinet. So, no, you shouldn't have it at all IMO.

    I think switching the range & fridge locations would be an improvement if that aisle is an often-used walkway. Plus it would move your fridge closer to your dining area, which is a benefit.

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, there is planned seating may be for 2 towards the dining end of the island. We have a version with range on that wall, one issue there was the counter space next to the range, I get about 24” on both sides as opposed to 36” in the above plan. But that is workable if required.