Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandawood82

backsplash and bulkhead help

amandawood82
2 years ago

Any help oils be greatly appreciated.
We are refacing our kitchen and removed a wall and island to open up the main floor.
FIrst dilemma- we are finishing a gas fireplace to be with ledge stone and we found a backsplash that is the same ledgestone with marble. I’m worried about it looking to uneven and having the electrical outlets not sitting flush. Also worried about stains.

The kitchen is going to be super white which we like although we should have probably went with a darker floor tile.
We are going with the super white quartz countertop, white cabinets and island, new stainless appliances and the wall colour is light grey. I’m hoping because the bulkhead is staying that it won’t look too hospital like. The next room with have the dark wood in the picture.
Question two-
Now that we have a large beam separating the two room the island pendants and light over the table I had planned I’m thinking should be switched to only pot lights throughout the kitchen. I’m a little confused as to what to do with the post, paint it wall colour or decorate it somehow.

Thank you so much for any ideas!!!

Comments (7)

• Ali K
    2 years ago

That tile looks like it would be a nightmare to keep clean. Lots of little grooves to collect grease and dust. I would go for a smooth tile backsplash to make cleaning possible.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I personally would faster invest in having the column removed before painting the cabinets.
    But regardless wrap the post in drywall and molding.
    Backsplash - Agreed with the above. I’d find something else. Maybe something organic looking, handcrafted type.

• amandawood82
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. Did you mean the vent stack that’s coming out or the bulkhead above the cabinets? Here is the look of what the fireplace will be so we are hoping to match the backsplash to the fireplace. I
    Like the look of a marble shiny tile too.

• heatheron40
    2 years ago

That's a lot of white. Maybe consider a color in a special shape or a laser cut detail

• tedbixby
    2 years ago

There is no reason to try and "match" the fireplace. Not sure why you are thinking that you need to.

Is there a reason why you can't wait and decide on the backsplash after the rest of the kitchen is done? We see so often on Houzz where the OP selects the backsplash ahead of time and is so disappointed once it is installed and wished they waited. It is much easier to make that decision once everything is in place. That is a lot of white and you may find that it looks too "safe" and want to do something else. You aren't totally discarding this one, you just are going to give yourself options later.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

NO ledgerstone anywhere it is already a dated look and never for a backsplash.I agree wait to decide backsplash after all other elements are in the kitchen BTW forget the raised bar area .

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Another vote NO for that backsplash. And matching the fireplace surround is not a good reason. In fact, it might look bad for it to be matchy. A fireplace is a fireplace, and a backsplash is meant for cooking splatter to be wiped off it. No reason for them to match, it doesn't matter if the rooms are adjoining.

I would wait until everything else is installed before choosing the backsplash. Everything will look different once installed. I think you are already uneasy about the backsplash given your "hospital like" comment, which I think is an accurate concern. After everything is installed, choose your backsplash tile, and hire a tiler to install it; you don't need to have your GC do it, it can be done later.