Software
Houzz Logo Print
saher107

Dining room size vs dining table... Help please!!

13 years ago
Hi!
So I am purchasing my very first dining table (chairs to follow) and found one I love. I really want to seat 8 people and am having trouble figuring out the size.

Option 1: 84w 40d 30.5h
Option2: 106w 40d 30.5h

I'm attaching a pic of my room dimension. I only have walls on 2 sides (129" and 176") the other 3 sides are openings with 2 pillars.

Pic 2: 84" table I saw in person. Placed with three 22" wide seats.
You can see in the pic that the 3 chairs do not completely fit in the metal legs.
Distance between legs is 50"

Pic 3 is from catalogue of 106" table.

Pic 4: what dining room
Could look like with 84" table.

I know there are certain spacing guild lines people use for dining room size and table size. Please
Let me know of any of these tables would work.

Thank you!!

Comments (18)

  • 13 years ago
    The table's feet are very impractical. One person takes up 2' width and these pretty feet might turn out to be a pain in the knees!

    As you can see a 106X36" table will fit in, but without the chairs at the head end. This means you'll have to find chairs that will fit in and let your guests/family sit against the steel consoles.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The 84" table would give the same problems with the feet when sat on, but if you could find chairs that fit in (which I wouldn't advise), it would look okay unused (because okay is not grand, a 15" seat isn't much). Check if the console is screwed in place (so can be moved) or consists of a larger steel frame. Good luck finding your perfect dining set!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    First thing that caught my eye is the chandelier would not be centered. You may need to swag it on a hook; I had to do the same thing.
  • 13 years ago
    Rinqreation you gave me more to think about thanks for the pictures and laying out the different scenarios.
    Between the 84" and 106" which one do you think would look better in the room?

    The chandelier will eventually change so yes it really would need to be more centered
  • 13 years ago
    Love your 'mockup' of the room. I would be sure to actually sit around the table in the store and see what type of chairs fit and are comfortable. Have you considered a round table with a pedestal? Very comfortable to sit around and great for conversation. Not sure how it would fit in your space. Happy decorating!
  • 13 years ago
    To illustrate a round table:
  • 13 years ago
    To answer your question: What I like about large tables is the face-to-face setup, so no head end chairs (only when there's just too many guests to sit on the sides). An oval or round table would also look good.

    Plus, I think you could build your own table too, you don't have to be technical to do so. Find a pretty (old) table or door for example, sand it down by hand, so not all paint comes off, buy a tempered (smoky?)glass top and spray paint the legs (table) or buy steel consoles (in case of a door).
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Hi....Those legs are not going to work for anyone, and the three chairs are too close together to be comfortable.
    The large round table with a pedestal base would be the most comfortable and conversation friendly. The chandelier needs to be centered.
  • 13 years ago
    Update, I ended up getting the larger table instead of the smaller one and love how it looks. There's still a lot of room and the legs haven't been a problem thankfully. Time to decorate the room and find another chandelier to replace this uncentered one! Any ideas?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Something contemporary that goes with the table, a little industrial, some steel? A rectangular/long shape, maybe two smaller 'round' ones..
    Contemporary Nova Metallico Silver 30" Wide Pendant Chandelier · More Info

    Industrial Vintage Cloth Cord & Rustic Pipe Metal Chandelier, Industrial · More Info

    Tubular Linear Iron Chandelier · More Info

    Orbit 7-light Chandelier · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Something rectangular with a bit of sparkle to tie in the classic look of the chairs with the contemporary style of the table (love the set). You'll need a light that is between 1/3 to 2/3 of the length of the table if you go for a rectangular one.
    Contemporary Chandeliers · More Info


    Or... two of these:
    Vienna Full Spectrum Chrome and Crystal Chandelier · More Info
  • 13 years ago
    Omni Suspension by Glow Lighting · More Info


    Have you thought about hanging velvet floor to ceiling curtains or curtain panels? Perhaps pick a colour from the adjoining room that goes will in your dining room too?
  • PRO
  • 11 years ago
    Thanks, your article in the blog is very helpful! I look forward to reading more posts in the future.

    I forgot to post an update. Bought a chandelier In Dubai and brought it back with me. I'm now working on setting the table decor. Any feedback is always appreciated :)
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Remove the vase and candles (too tall), let the chandelier be the main attention grabber. The runner and a decorative platter (for example) is fine.
    [https://www.houzz.com/products/24-inch-long-silver-metal-decorative-platter-prvw-vr~22081272[(https://www.houzz.com/products/24-inch-long-silver-metal-decorative-platter-prvw-vr~22081272)

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    is this a bernhardt table? I'm thinking of buying it

  • 9 years ago

    Why don't you try the Tulip Table? They are awesome in terms of how they look and also in terms of quality. Manhattan Home Design have the different sizes of tulip tables and different materials. Have a look https://www.houzz.com/photos/products/query/tulip-table-manhattan-home-deisgn/nqrwns