Software
Houzz Logo Print
macbeth3n1

Which base cabinet pantry layout?

5 years ago



We're using this 80" wide base cabinet area for our pantry. There will be a countertop, and upper shelving. The top picture, are the 16" cabinet doors too narrow? The bottom, are the 40" wide roll-outs too wide? tia

Comments (26)

  • 5 years ago

    Just my thoughts as I’ve been working on our layout/cabinet plan. The 16” drawers should be ok if you have a good plan for what would make sense and fit there. I followed advice I found here and taped a rectangle on my counter showing the inside dimensions of a drawer and see what things you could fit in each drawer.

    The 40” pullouts seem way too big to me. That’s two wide doors to open and a huge thing to roll out when you need one thing out of the cabinet.

    Beth thanked jaja06
  • 5 years ago

    Oh and just saw you were asking about the 16” doors, not drawers. I think 16” doors are a very normal size.

  • 5 years ago

    Why do doors? Just do drawers

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with Lisa, Option 3: More Drawers!

    Door with pull outs is 2 steps to get to contents, drawer is 1 step.

    Can you specify any size for your units or is this stock?

  • 5 years ago

    I can see the value of doors if using for a pantry since you can see more stuff at once, IF these are not deep cabinets. If they’re more than 16 inches or so deep I’d also say all drawers is more useful space.

  • PRO
    5 years ago




  • 5 years ago

    I'm doing drawers everywhere else in the kitchen, but as this will house all my pantry items, I think opening the doors wide and seeing all 3 rollouts at once, and the sides of the stuff itself is more useful for cans & bins.

  • 5 years ago

    Do you all use drawers for your pantry?

  • 5 years ago

    I do not have any drawers in my pantry, and would have put in some if I was able to redo

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with more drawers. I have deep drawers in my pantry

  • 5 years ago

    What's its color?

  • 5 years ago

    All drawers, @Chang? This is where my canned goods, bins of baking supplies, nuts, etc will go. Cereals, things I can't decant easily..

    Possibly also teas, coffees. I can't imagine canned goods in drawers. I feel I should open the doors wide to see what's inside all at once, rather than drawer by drawer. I must be missing something.

    I figured I'd use the drawer stack in the middle for produce and a few larger items.

    @rebasheba 80" wide area, standard depth (24"( and height (34.5"). Ordering RTA cabinets from Barker, which come in 1/2" increments so fairly flexible.

  • 5 years ago

    So this is NOT fancy and pros don’t respond if it’s gonna be not nice. My hubby made the shelves. I lazy Susan’s. Rollouts for extra drinks and dog food bin. Store bags etc. empty space don’t worry we’re selling primary home and I will use those top shelves LOL

  • 5 years ago

    And the youngest going to school it will be just the two of us. Plenty of room for him and I

  • 5 years ago

    I think the fact that the cabinets are 24” deep and all below waist level makes drawers probably a better option. I think “open wide to see everything” won’t be so true. Maybe search for posts and pics of pantry drawers for ideas of how people stored their pantry stuff.

    My parents have a tall pantry cabinet with rollouts. It’s about 18” wide and 24” deep with one door. For the rollouts at eye level it’s not a big deal, you can see pretty far back. But not for the lower ones unless you crouch down. It also gets a little unwieldy with stacked things threatening to fall off the low sides of the pullouts.

    I don’t think it would be a disaster to use pullouts, but definitely worth considering drawers.

  • 5 years ago

    Oh! I wasn't really thinking of pantry items when I commented (even though you said pantry right there hm)

    One reason I was asking about how you can specify the sizes is that I don't think a 16 in wide drawer stack will be maximally useful, especially not for "larger items"!

    My parents also have a tall pantry like jaja06 described, although it's actually pretty wide. And the experience of the low rollouts being a pain is just the same. I totally get wanting to see everything, but you would have to get down on the floor to do so. So might as well get a drawer that you look down into, maybe?

    Obviously, using roll outs is not the end of the world by a long shot! And they do make ones with higher sides or guard rails to help with the falling off problem, which is real.

    There are other possible pieces to the puzzle like this kind of thing (Ikea)


    or wire baskets for produce -- has anyone here actually used these? Did anyone else grow up with a breadbox drawer, what happened to those? :)

    Getting Organized with Fieldstone Cabinetry · More Info


    any chance you can recoup a little bit of shallow storage for cans and bottles elsewhere?


  • 5 years ago

    We actually are including a 12" slim tall pullout (6 shelves) next to the refrigerator which I'm thinking will hold all our bottles (oils, condiments, etc) and larger spice containers. I hadn't thought about canned goods in there, but that is a definite maybe! Like this, but as tall as the fridge:


    Smaller spices will be in a drawer next to the stove. I'll be decanting dry goods: pastas, beans, rices, baking staples, etc, and storing them on the open shelves above the pantry area. Here's the space right now (dishes will move to another area):




    So what's left? Cereals, bags of chips, coffee & tea (our coffee station will most likely be in this area), drinks, extra/random food items that aren't in the decanted jars, random stuff.

    Here's my current walk-in pantry. There's more stuff on the right: wine, beer, water bottles, plastic wraps, picnic items... (We are moving the fridge to this location:)



    With the rollouts, I wasn't really planning on stacking things; I figured the top rollouts would be shorter, and for canned goods and shorter items; the lowers for larger stuff, probably organized in baskets like I'm currently using, so things wouldn't really be toppling over. In my first design, the 16" 3-drawer stack in the center was going to hold our wire baskets of onions, potatoes, etc, and was mainly just to break up the door-visual.


    It's hard to find pantries in drawers! I did see this page, which I love. No rollouts or drawers in this area, but she used clear soda can bins to hold cans in pantry drawers which I thought was brilliant as then you can see the labels. Would they be better off in drawers or rollouts? In drawers I can only see the tops so I'm not clear on how to arrange items.



    And here are her pantry drawers. (I am a visual organizer and I'm not sure this would work for me):



    For this overall look which I definitely love, except that my open shelves would have filled jars, not empty:



    I will re-think the drawers idea; my husband isn't really into it, and since we have drawers everywhere else in the kitchen, I thought the rollouts might be more versatile since we could reposition them as necessary. When I search online, I mostly see pantries (like below) that have rollouts below counter level, and shelves above. So I was figuring I'd be replicating that idea somewhat. I think rollouts above eye-level are useless anyway! So aren't lower rollouts where you usually use them?



    I could also switch the doors/drawers so that there are 2 sets of drawers with the center portion (make it a little wider) being the door/rollout section (bottom drawing):



  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Like the shallow top drawer of my 3-drawer base cabinets; great for organizing. Wish I did a stack of 5 or 6 drawer base cabinet. Store saran wrap, aluminum foil, ziploc bags in one. Have another that is all boxes of tea (I like tea).🙂


  • 5 years ago

    I will have several sets of drawers for everything non-pantry related, although I'm planning all to be 3-drawer stacks. (one 36"w, one 18"w, one 21.5"w, one 30"w)...each with a short top drawer for flatware, utensils, spices, potholders/placemats, cutlery & prep utensils. A 15" trash pullout with a top drawer for foils/wraps. The middle/lower drawers of these will hold: linens/dishtowels, pots&pans, appliances, bakeware. A narrow cabinet for cookie sheets.

    All these 3-drawer stacks will have one short top drawer and 2 equal lower drawers.


    For the pantry area, I *think* we've pretty much decided on the bottom image above. It's a compromise by including 2 sets of drawers (thinking of making them all equal height) and 1 set of rollouts that gives us some flexibility and helps me "see" the sides of pantry items. If I don't like it; I'll have the 2 sets of drawers on either side to put stuff in.

  • 5 years ago

    Looks like it will be a fantastic part of your kitchen!

    Beth thanked rebasheba
  • 5 years ago

    I like the mixture of cabinet and drawers do you can put bigger things in the cabinet and organize all your little things in drawers

    Beth thanked Eve Benson
  • 5 years ago

    I agree with being able to see all your stuff, but I also think that's something you do from counter height up -- below that, you'd have to sit on the floor to read the labels from in front, so drawers serve you better. I have my pantry over a trash pull-out and the sole regular cabinet that holds our food processer et al. Above that is So Much Storage!


    This is all 24" deep, and baskets save us from ourselves!

    Beth thanked acm
  • 5 years ago

    FYI our final decision (ordered the cabinets today!) was a mix. Our pantry will be like the 3rd sketch: 2 sets of equal height 3-drawer stacks + 1 center double-door cabinet with 3 rollouts. We also have a tall skinny (12"w x 70"h) pullout right between that area & the fridge which, truthfully, will hold a TON of our pantry supplies!


    Elsewhere, it's almost all 3-drawer stacks of varied configurations (options!), except for a 6"w pullout for sauces next to the oven, and the trash/recycle pullout. we added a rollout inside the sink cabinet for all my cleaning supplies. After much agony, I decided on a deep drawer for cookie sheets. One motion for the win!


    Thanks everyone for helping me to make this decision! It's an eclectic one; which suits my style perfectly :) Now... for the hardware....

  • 5 years ago

    Congrats! We just placed our order with Barker for “phase 1” of our kitchen reno (coffee bar and island), and I’m so excited! It was hard to press the official “Order” button though! But I think our very long planning stage will pay off :)

  • 5 years ago

    I hear you, jaja! We agonized, scrutinized, measured over and over, emailed Clayton, re-read every little detail of our Barker order... but still, pushing that button was quite an event! Now for the wait... 10-12 weeks lol!