Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homestoryomaha

Hallway Before and After

HomeStory of Omaha
10 years ago
Changing interior doors can change the look and feel of a room.

Comments (80)

• joedogwoman
    10 years ago
    I think it would be nice to see french doors.All the glass lets in so much light and they are as quiets as heavy wood doors.
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    Joe, not if any of those doors are bedrooms or closets :) I like french doors too, but only in appropriate places. I replaced double doors into our study off our foyer with 2 10-lite doors and did the same in our master bedroom study area
  • PRO
    HomeStory Doors of Orange County
    10 years ago
    HomeStory provides a variety of hardware to choose from, in addition to door choices, which is included when the doors are installed.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    I agree with justine and oldpathsfarm that passing off a Photoshop as actual before and after pictures is just unethical. And it's not necessary; nothing wrong with identifying a rendering as such. It would make me question a business's standards and practices, however.
  • houseatthelake
    10 years ago
    We did the same thing about 12 years ago only we didn't replace the doors I added molding to the mahogany doors giving them a paneled look and then painted the trim and doors white.
  • ellenstubbins
    10 years ago
    Which is the before and which is the after?
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Looks like a doctor's office with a line of exam rooms.
  • Sharon Faith
    10 years ago
    Equally horrible ,sorry . The 'after' photo looks like an office corridor .
  • User
    10 years ago
    I love white doors and oil rubbed bronze hardware, very nice! ;)
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hey rosebud3 and feather57- HomeStory of Omaha changed the doors, he didn't build the hallway- cut him some slack!
    @ellenstubbins- the gold door knobs duh!
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Hey Margo, cut ME some slack. You misunderstood what I was saying. I love the new doors and the look. In fact it got me looking at doors to replace my flat panel bedroom doors.

What I was meant was that the layout of the hallway and all the doors in a row did not look like a home's hallway, but rather a more commercial space. Touchy, touchy.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hey rosebud- you gave a one liner, you said *looks like a doctor's office with a line of exam rooms*. You said nothing nice at all. Go up 5 comments and reread . Explain how I misunderstood?
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Margo, I made the statement in response to oldpathsfarm and 2 others who made the photoshop accusation. My error for not addressing my post to that person. I should have included in my statement that i did not believe the images were photoshopped.

How come you didn't jump on their case? Geeze.
  • User
    10 years ago
    I like you better;)
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    See, we CAN all get along!
  • User
    10 years ago
    No doubt in my mind, let's exchange Christmas cards;)
  • Sharon Faith
    10 years ago
    Margo c . I don't see the point in inviting comments if we are only to say how wonderful everything is . In my opinion the doors are far too bland and match far too closely with the floor providing no contrast or texture to the space . The door furniture is too small and again provides no interest to my eye at all . I had a similar problem in my hall ie loads of doors. my hall however is quite a large square shape. I solved my problem by replacing the cheap looking white doors using painted shaker style doors some were solid ,some had horizontal opaque glass panels . It worked for us !
  • diyher
    10 years ago
    fyi to those that think this is photoshopped , guessing you might not be a photographer, but have any of you noticed the lighting changed in the 2nd photo? The setup was the same, probably on a tripod, but the lighting in the room is totally different :)
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    It looks photoshopped to me too. Nice rendering though.
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    feather57- you never really said "why" they were "horrible", let's see a picture of your hallway so we can critique ;) then if someone says "horrible" you will sit around and wonder what exactly is so "horrible" about it... see, this is what I am getting at. It's OK not to like something but why not say "what" and be specific.
  • sixkeys
    10 years ago
    I find it hard to believe that they got the tripod and the angle of the camera in the EXACT same spot. It is identical. If you look at the lighting of the back corner of the room on the ceiling it is the same shape. In addition, the shadow behind the first doorknob is the same shape (the part on the door frame). The wall color in the first picture has no shading, but the doors have lighting and shading. That's strange! In the first picture, each door going down the hallway has exactly the same amount of shading and lighting....as if it was computer generated. It seems to me that the second picture might possibly be real, and that they photoshopped the before picture. People are very good at photoshop these days - some people make a living from it! Professionals know photography concepts such as adjusting the lighting. I'm sorry, while the "after" looks better I just can't believe that all of this is real. I could be convinced if they had pictures at other angles. Call me a skeptic!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    10 years ago
    Inviting comments to finished projects can be tricky . . . tact and non confrontational should be the rule here . . . the project is finished and one negative can be like a slow drip among many positives . . . even when opinions can affect change as in design dilemma, helping others problem solve still requires diplomacy to be effective.
    I like the freshness of the "after" . . .
  • Sharon Faith
    10 years ago
    Margo.c I don't really understand your comment as I did explain why I didn't like the doors . If these photos had been from an individual who was proudly displaying their taste I would not have want to hurt their feelings but I think it clear that this is a company seeking approval of their probably photo shopped project . If you look at most Internet retailers they often ask for people to review their products and a reputable retailer will publish the favourable and the not so favourable . Since you asked though I do enclose some photos of my hall and you are most welcome to love it hate it or be utterly indifferent ! The floor By the way is matt grey/white120x60 cm tiles . All the walls and woodwork are white and the large metal wrought iron doors were custom made the stairs are dark grey stained oak which is the flooring I have in the rest of the house except for the kitchen /family room which is also in the tile and of course the bathrooms
  • Emily H
    10 years ago
    Hey everybody, let's stay on track with the design dilemma. We all have different opinions and perspectives and that's what makes this work! :)
  • Rosanne
    10 years ago
    Feather 57, I believe the first photo is the before and the white doors are the after. Someone correct me if I am incorrect.
  • Sharon Faith
    10 years ago
    Hi Rosebud3 ! Well I think it's hard to tell but Homestory ,the company that I believe supplied the doors say that the finish is 'oil rubbed bronze ' which to me suggests that they are not talking about the white doors but you could well be right .
  • User
    10 years ago
    feather57- the *oil rubbed bronze* HomeStory speaks of is the finish of the door hardware. White doors with oil rubbed bronze handles, and hinges.
  • Sue Martson
    10 years ago
    Very nice!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Looks like Sketchup to me. I recognize those handles, that come out very yellow-gold.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Or it might be Chief Architect...
  • Jessica
    10 years ago
    I've actually seen these exact photos before... In a pamphlet I believe... I think at one of the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

That being said, I do agree that updating doors and hardware really can change the look and feel of a place. I updated the doors and hardware in on of my rental properties and it really helped out the aesthetics of the place.
  • hazeldazel
    10 years ago
    I love the wood doors! Looks so much warmer and inviting than the white doors which look very sterile.
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    What an incredible difference the doors made! Looks great.
  • Teresa Cerna
    10 years ago
    This is just too funny! This is my hall way :)
  • grobby
    10 years ago
    Big difference. Much prettier.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    simple fix and really looks nice!
  • Jennifer Paulino
    10 years ago
    Love how a derail can change the feeling and look of a house
  • Steph Mar
    10 years ago
    Amazing! We took your advice and others on Houzz and are going to start replacing the doors in our house. We started with the kitchen pantry since we were updating the kitchen. Wow! What a difference!
  • msubreeze
    10 years ago
    Ok, this makes me feel dumb. I wouldn't have thought of changing to a dark hardware and it looks GREAT!!!!
  • evrt2041
    10 years ago
    Ok I feel dumb but I don't see any photos except the original "before". Help!!
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    evrt, find the small pic under the big one and click on it:)
  • evrt2041
    10 years ago
    @bumblebee728. Yes that's what I thought too. Saw little photos on other posts just not at all on this one. Just one large photo / hallway of wood tone doors / interested as I need to decide on white vs dark stained interior doors myself. Thank u tho
  • bumblebee728
    10 years ago
    You're welcome evrt, good luck with your doors.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I have to agree, it does look like a doctors office, with exam rooms. Why did builder do this. Can the new doors be left open. Or is it a doctors office. Im confused.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Oh I guess this is. a sells pitch for doors?
  • millnjer
    8 years ago
    Love the new doors, looks clean and fresh. I hope to this in my old house. Although I did paint the doors white it is not the same as new doors and smashing.
  • PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects
    8 years ago

Nice improvement.

• beckybass56
    6 years ago

Nice, but... ...what if you do not have light trim? My home has "the wall of doors" and I have contemplated painting out the doors to the wall color, just don't know what to do about trim. Help?

• Tony Montana
    6 years ago

Nice update if the doors where hallow. But I'd have to be an idiot to replace solid wood doors for fake white ones. I always hated the black hardware. Don't give me this "oil rubbed bronze'' garbage. Its black with barely noticeable copper lines in it.

• PRO
    Raegan Ford Interior Design
    6 years ago

Looks great!!