Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chelsy_mitchell55

Norfolk Pine getting yellow tips after summer on bright patio

chelsy mitchell
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi! Looking for some advice from anyone with Norfolk Pine experience. My Norfolk Pine is 6 feet tall and growing wonderfully. I live in the Hudson Valley NY. It was gifted to me this spring by a friend who had it all year round in a sun room. I repotted early this summer, slightly large pot, roots looked great, put it in a light soil mix, perlite etc. It's been in full sun this summer on my deck I will bring it inside in November to large south facing window.. the tips I noticed are getting yellow. Too much sun? We've had a very wet NY summer.. it's still very perky but wondering if it will regain it's green when brought inside for a few months during winter... Thoughts? Thanks you!
Photos below in next comment!

Comments (7)

• chelsy mitchell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

it can never be hit by frost .. you might want to bring it in a little earlier than

NOV... just to be safe ...

and you better start on that 2 story addition lol ...

i note the off color.. it doesnt look that bad.. might be an eye trick based on the cloudy day ... perhaps there might be something a bit off ... but im not sure i would start trying to fix what might not be broken ... it would have to get a lot worse ...

and i surely wouldnt fert it in fall just before taking it in the house ... under the guise that that might green it up ...

it probably will suffer somewhat during the winter.. from full sun to dark house .... try to keep it away from forced air furnace vents directly hitting it .... misting it isnt going to do anything.. so dont waste you time ...

you were brave to repot that monster .... seems like it all worked out for you.. must have been quite a project ...

ken

ps: you do know the potential of these beasts dont you ... fear your success.. lol:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Araucaria+heterophylla&t=ffcm&iax=images&ia=images

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

I had mine get yellowish tips when in too much sun. It has recovered fully after being moved away from too much sun.

• chelsy mitchell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What helpful and thoughtful replies! Thank you both! Ken you have me cracking up and scared at the same time, beast is right! Ha!

• Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
    2 years ago

Mine gets those from time to time…I have TWO, each about 5 ft talk. It doesnt seem to affect them but I never could find out what caused it to begin with. I have a friend building a house in Sarasota- I will be gifting them to her to plant in her yard when they get too big to bring inside anymore. Luckily, we have 10-ft ceilings in the living room w/ floor to ceiling, 8-ft wide windows flanking each side of the front door so they overwinter really well indoors.

• Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
    2 years ago

Getgoing, BTW, all I’ve read about them says full sun- is that incorrect? I did put them in part shade this year, on my deck under a maple canopy & they did just fine there too. They get East & West sun but only dappled direct sun from overhead.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think there are always too many variables for something to be universally true. The location and weather patterns can drastically change what sun or shade exposure mean. Also, we presume that how plants/trees exist in nature would work best for our potted or coddled plants as well. Also, we expect our plants to look their best at all times. Does anyone believe plants/trees look their best at all times in nature. I would think not. Not all plants grow and live their best and maximal life. While I am sure a lot do, there must be many that do not get optimal draw of luck in nature and meet an early demise or live scraggly lives. Obviously, we don't want our one specimen to grow like that. So, while it is a good starting point to look at how something grows in nature, there always need to be adjustments.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists