Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Anyone slug hunting?

When the leaves start dying off, then I am ready to be finished with gardening! But when you grow in pots, the season seems to be extended to like---forever! There's a mixture of some pots gone dormant while others haven't begun. And the squirrels keep digging everywhere! I find myself reluctant to go out and do garden clean up, but when I finally do, I wish I had gone out earlier!

Lots of slug holes on the garden plants made me venture out to see what I could find in the garden at night. Whoa---lots of slugs---on the hosta, perennials and in the grass! I used my ammonia spray to get rid of them.

Am I the only crazy one out in the garden at night?

Comments (10)

• bkay2000
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When I had lots of hosta, I went out at night with a flashlight to look for caterpillars. I never had many problems with slugs. Of course, I only grew/grow in pots.

bk

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked bkay2000
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Generally, I don't have slugs in my pots either---except for now and then.

I think the obsession---oops I meant passion---I have about my hosta makes me into a crazy person! So I have been going out at night to check out what is happening to my hosta. I noticed that my front garden---where there were few slugs---began getting quite a number of holey leaves. I blamed it on the snails that I had seen on the ground and around, but when I went out after a rain and in the dark, there were slugs! I just figure that if I don't get control of them now, there will be even more come spring.

I know that most of the posters here live in the US., and I know there is talk about slug bait, traps and ammonia spray. But I think it is more difficult to get rid of slugs here in Canada because of the ban on the use of most pesticides for the home gardener. We do have slug bait, but it's pretty weak stuff.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

newhostalady..it sounds productive but I haven't gone slug hunting at night..

I've finished planting with a camping lantern at night..that's a little crazy..😜

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • bkay2000
    2 years ago

I think all hosta people are a bit crazy...take ken, for instance.

bk

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked bkay2000
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

I just figure that if I don't get control of them now, there will be even more come spring.

==>>> yes!!!? its a year around battle.. and if you dont kill the huge egg laying mommas now.. then dont come to me complaining next summer ...

i am surprised you cant get vinegar in the pickling aisle in canada.. or ammonia in the cleaning aisle ... and mix it 10% and put it in a cheap one gallon spray tank ... i think you are making excuses here on some level ...

and keep in mind.. baits ATTRACT slugs ... so dont put them next to your plant ... i used to bait the fence line [in suburbia] ... and the lawn edge ... attract them away from my plants ... but i eventually avoided that cost and used sprays ...

though hosta leaves can create it own winter protection of dead leaves over the crown ... it will hold lots of eggs .. so full fall cleanup is a plus.. if you just have a few plants .. and of course you can do the crown drench like deb ...

when i had a lot of pots .. i found slugs in the bottom of pots.. they made little nests in the drain holes ... with smaller pots it easy to tip them out of the pots.. and just look and flick if you find any.. then just shove the plant back in the pot ...

ken

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • bkay2000
    2 years ago

Use pot feet for your hosta in pots. Babka uses strips of wood under her pots. The only time I've had problems is when I don't use pot feet.

bk

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

I slug hunt early in the morning when the sun is coming up. My plan is to use the ammonia drench this week. Fingers crossed everybody has layed their eggs. I also have the spray already mixed in a bottle and will randomly go out during the day to see the obvious ones

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

newhostalady..you gave me an idea!..we have a headlamp too!..I should try it..

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oursteelers, from what I have been reading and from what I have seen in my own garden, you would be best to spray the ammonia drench this week and then each week to keep slug populations down.

Nicholsworth, you just may be surprised at how many slugs you find at night! Let me know if you do venture out and what you saw. I am looking for company!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville