Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jgjpalafoutas

Outdoor Lighting misstep

jgjpalafoutas
2 years ago

Hello
Year old project wrapping up, who knew it would take 7 months to get a door?
Portico finishing up today, and now that the lights are up, they have a dramatic shadow over them, like dark eyelids! I picked these because they have GFCI plugs in them, and they're are no other outlets in the front of the house.
Is there a way to fix this without tearing out the newly clad finished portico?
Im so disappointed.
Thanks for ay suggestions

Comments (23)

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

The mistake was no choosing fixtures that follow Dark Sky guidelines:

"To minimize the harmful effects of light pollution, lighting should

• Only be on when needed
    • Only light the area that needs it
    • Be no brighter than necessary
    • Minimize blue light emissions
    • Be fully shielded (pointing downward)"

Most of the light is directed on the walls where it isn't needed rather than on the porch where it is. Light also shines outward resulting in shadows on the posts, into the yard where it isn't needed, and in visitors' faces. It's also too bright.

Replace the fixtures with ones that cast light downward onto the porch -- and at a reduced brightness -- and the problems will be reduced or eliminated.

An alternative: Attach downward-facing lights to the underside of the canopy over the porch instead of the walls. If the steps needed illumination, you could hide downward-facing lights under the canopy above the stairs.

-- amateur

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Agree. Recessed lights in the portico ceiling. New wall mounts just decorative at a lower 450 lumen (40watt equivalent) and don't worry about the plug-in. Save that for a future project and add a receptacle down low, you don't want extension cords hanging down the wall for holiday decorations or whatever.

Or skip the recessed and just find better wall mounts at lower lumens.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

those are dark sky, confusing statement for 2 reasons, one there is a portico so light is not bleeding up, 2. they have metal tops which is forcing the light down and creating the shadow, which is what he doesn't like.

resolve, by a light fixture with a regular socket. you can buy socket adapters that have plugs in them, and then you can use a softer bulb, that will not eliminate the shadow, but a softer glow will not create such a dramatic shadow.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC "those are dark sky"

No, they are not dark sky. Light from dark sky fixtures is directed downward, not outward. For those lights to have even approached dark sky design, the bulbs would have had to have been tucked up under the metal tops which they're clearly not.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

No comment on the light fixtures, but the portico looks great!

Btw, would lower wattage bulbs cast less of a dark shadow?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

yes it would Flopsy, however I would bet they are integrated LED

• jgjpalafoutas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hello all
    Thanks for your thoughts. 
    Not integrated fixtures.
    Here's  40w bulbs.  Better,  still not great.

• jgjpalafoutas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks flopsycat. It's been a long year!!

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

If you're not going to replace the fixtures, at least use lower temperature bulbs (e.g. 2700K) so the light isn't so harsh. High temperature bulbs (very white light) is a poor choice for outside lights.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@jgjpalafoutas I’m not commenting on lights because I know nothing - but looking at your before / after pics I did want to compliment you on the beautiful new entry you created!

• jgjpalafoutas
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@kw, thanks. 
    Waiting for the black metal roof,  then paint front door (SW Positive Red).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I like the outdoor lights that light up and down maybe look at those . Sorry I am not a darksky person IMO we need light at night for safety and crime prevention and for sure in crosswalks .

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

i actually wondered about what @Patricia Colwell Consulting said about lights open at top & bottom. That would solve rhe issue of the dark shadow above the lights. Tough to have to replace new fixtures you love but maybe the easiest fix

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting: "I like the outdoor lights that light up and down maybe look at those. Sorry I am not a darksky person IMO we need light at night for safety and crime prevention"

Illuminating the brick above the light is unnecessary, "safety and crime prevention" would not be improved, the posts would still cause shadows, and there are no crosswalks. The OP only needs to illuminate the porch and perhaps the stairs. Many people would like to be able to see the stars, even in cities.

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

@Flo Mangan: "You could also put solar flood lights in ground/beds aimed at porch to help brighten porch above light."

No upward-facing lights.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

dont mind the troll who posts about dark sky on every thread lol.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I would say use 25watt equivalent, people underestimate how far light travels especially outdoors.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

instead of up/down, I would move to a pocket lantern called a pocket, it will fit the style as well.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I agree with RL and she is an expert. But if you don’t want to change existing fixtures find some solar lighting and add white planter boxes to front porch under lights. I like up lighting, despite some here who oppose it. Here is example.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

Solar ground light

• wdccruise
    2 years ago

Yikes! Makes the situation even worse.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

^ LOL