Software
Houzz Logo Print
marikazh8a

What do you do with very diseased (blackspot) rose before winter?

4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Houzz rose lovers!!

Since last year I decided to grow roses instead of vegetables.

Thanks to your posts/pictures/discussions, I was able to select roses I like pretty much spot on.

However, Generous Gardner and Evelyn are so, weak, diseased and didn't grow much compare to others (Crown Princess Margareta, Desdemona, Falstaff, Jude de Obscure, Royal Jubilee, Sprit of Freedom and couple of bargain French/Germans)

Since only the same grower carries them, I am afraid buying again will give me same result.

Those I bought in spring!!

Evelyn


Gardner


What would you do? Is there any way to revive?

Comments (10)

  • 4 years ago

    Neither rose in your photos looks particularly diseased......some mild spotting on the second but nothing I would be overly concerned about.

    Can I ask why you choose to grow them in containers? Container culture for any type of plant requires some rather specific care requirements that one can safely ignore if planting in the ground. IOW, it is a lot easier to grow plants in the ground than it is to grow them in containers unless you are experienced in container culture.

    To answer your last two questions, plant them in the ground. They should be fine next season.

  • 4 years ago

    Dear Gardengal48


    Thank you for reply

    That's very interesting since compare to other roses, they are night and day differences in growth, foliage color, and retention of foliage.


    Of course in the ground is ideal. However, I must grow on the balcony. Evelyn is already in biggest container I can put the hands on, Gardener is in original container.


  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    @gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

    In more humid climates BS defoliates the bush & if canes look black then there is concern rose may not survive. This is not your case.

    Any BS you may have had may have slowed them down some but not to worry, they have enough growth to shake any issues off. I dont see any BS on your leaves. You have large healthy canes & lots of healthy looking leaves, still . Try to do things that would help roses to dry soil out if possible. Keeping bushes close to house under eaves/umbrellas where they dont get rained on too much could help. Water less.

    For any rose that had any BS, remove any BS leaves that fell in the soil as BS overwinters in the soil. Afterwards, just leave them alone.

    In spring when budding growth starts again, add some new soil and fertilizer which will give them a fresh start.

    For cases w/ much BS or mildew spray w/Daconil, recommended by American Rose Society. It kills BS/mildew just like cleaners in bathroom kill mold. It is the most effective agent, but does not damage roses.

    I used to live in Oregon…. roses may get a touch of BS when over watered, but not much… just leave them alone & next year they were fine. Giving them new soil every year-even freshen soil a little keeps them thriving in pots.

  • 4 years ago

    Marika, what location are you doing your balcony gardening in zone and State or City wise?

  • 4 years ago

    On a completely different note, if i were you i would out The Generous Gardener in the biggest container you have and Evelyn in whatever you have available until you can get her a big container too.

    For me at least TGG is a BIG rose while Evelyn is just good sized

  • 4 years ago

    Kitty6aNY


    Thank you for your advice. That is so sweet of you.


    I guess the pictures weren't good. I will upload more close up once rain stops :) I also took most badly looking leaves, before the picture.


    Overwatering can be the cause since it's on timer, not adjusted to temp/rain.

    But I am glad to know the roses can "shake off".


    Too bad Daconil is banned in my country in Europe. All the fungicides I can buy only prevent.

  • 4 years ago

    Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

    Hi Sheila

    I am in the middle of Europe, not in the USA. USDA Zone 8a but can get down to -4F sometimes and 95F in summer. So, Austin roses should do well.

  • 4 years ago

    oursteelers 8B PNW


    I completely agree!

    It is my laziness. I bought pot/soil but keep on postponing transplanting and now "yeah, it will go dormant soon so I will do in the spring" mode 😁

  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    Marika Rose,

    Ok, you are in Europe. Do you have high humidity or just a little? BS comes when too much humidity or rain which keros their roots damp too long.

    Again, your roses still have really nice canes & leaves so it may jusy go away & not come back. Next year, you may try hand watering so you only water roots, try not to get leaves wet. Keeping the whole plant as dry as possible helps it to dry out-aereate properly invetween waterings.

    David Austin roses do better when allowed to dry out. They mostly get BS in humid climates. Also, DA roses are delicate for snowy winters w/my temperatures being 20F-5F. I cover them w/burlap & mound mulchy bark around stems

    to keep them warm during winter-then they do well! This is my winter protection. There are many ways to orotect roses through cold winters.

    -4F is cold-I recommend winter orotection for your roses.

    Some people try a baking powder solution for BS-recipe on internet. Try looking at AMERICAN ROSE SOCIETY for more sprays for BS.

  • 4 years ago

    Kitty6aNY


    Thank you for all those advice! I wasn't expecting you all trying to help my roses. So kind of you


    But you are onto something.


    I make sure leaves/plant are not wet (timed drip irrigation to the root directly) but I have never "dried out" the soil since most of them are in original small planters and I worried killing it by getting too dry. Humidity wise, its same as England, not necessary higher.


    I will not overwater from now on!


    All the neighbor's rose get bad blackspots, too. But Royal Jubilee is doing outstanding. I will post pictures of other roses.


    What I can get hands on (Penconazole etc) I cycle them and sprayed but the moment I slacked.....


    I used to use BS spray for my cucu (powdery mildew) but again, its always uphill battle.😒


    Again, thank you so much!

    (also, good idea to put zone and city in the user name, i will do so now..)