Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_berman72

Tolomeo Mega lamp has a piece stuck/needs repair

Hi all-

We have a Tolomeo Mega lamp with a broken piece. We have the replacement piece from the manufacturer but cannot get the broken part to detached. It is stuck tight. We’ve greased it, used various tools, nada. My husband is pretty handy and is at a dead end. We don’t want to ship the entire lamp across country for the manufacturer to repair and can’t figure out what to do.

It’s the piece circles in the attached photo that we need to remove.

We are in Los Angeles. Does anyone know a repair source who could help with this? Or a method to try? It’s not technically lamp repair or related to electric or wiring- it’s more metal working I guess but we are at a loss!

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments (26)

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

I'm not surprised you're having trouble as it looks like that part was swaged or pressure fitted together. It's not a standard part so it might help if you posted a picture of the replacement piece. Also, can you explain what exactly is broken?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Wow I have had a Tolemeo table lamp for close to 30 yrs and never had an issue what exactly happened to cause that. For repair you need to get in touch with Artemide to see if they have replacement parts.

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the responses. The part you see circled connects two of the main rods of the lamp and is supposed to have two metal rings at the end- one snapped off when we had to put stuff in storage and the movers didn’t handle the tension on the rods correctly. (We should have been more aware but as we all know, moving out of a house can be chaos.) We have been in touch with Artemide and got the replacement piece from them. The replacement is the piece I have circled in blue, just with two rings. They said we could send the lamp back to them for repair but it’s the big floor version and that sounds like a nightmare to wrangle so I’m trying to figure out an alternative. They also suggested oiling it to loosen it up which is what we’ve tried.

I am trying to figure out which type of local repair shop I should even be looking for to handle something like this since it doesn’t have to do with the wiring.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

If you showed a picture of the replacement part, we could see the parts hidden in the rod, which might be more helpful.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

"I am trying to figure out which type of local repair shop I should even be looking for to handle something like this since it doesn’t have to do with the wiring."

You take it to a lamp repair shop....

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

Give the oil time to work, maybe add some more.

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here a photos of the replacement piece so you can see what the stuck end looks like

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Another shot

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The tech from Artimide said that their shop had to create their own tool to get this piece apart. We are afraid to break it as it requires a lot of force but is also rather thin. I think a professional is probably our only option and would prefer not to spend hundred shipping it to Artemide for repair. 🤦🏻‍♀️

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Interesting that they sent a replacement part without telling you they had to use a special tool to enable the fix. Have you talked with a local lamp repair shop?

• partim
    2 years ago

Maybe Artimide would ship you the tool, and you could use it and ship it back to them. Sounds easier than shipping the lamp, and probably overnight by Fedex or similar.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

I think there are two issues: 1) the special tool, and 2) the knowledge of how to use it without causing more damage.

• partim
    2 years ago

Agree, you'd have to ask them how to use it safely. If the tool isn't easy to use I'm sure they'd tell you that.

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think I wasn’t clear- the tool isn’t available to the public. Just an indication that this piece is hard to remove and they have a special way to do it. But again we don’t want to have to ship the whole lamp. Will start with a local lamp repair. Thanks, all!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the lamp was expensive and honestly I would spen the money to get it repaired by Artimede not some guy who knows nothing about these lamps.

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much @elltwo, we have the part already. Just trying to remove the broken piece so we can replace it. Thanks, Patricia. I’m beginning to think the same.

• elltwo
    2 years ago

Did you check the images under the orange tab that says "Add to shopping cart"? I think the first photo shows how to remove the problem part.

• jennifer_berman72
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@elltwo oh! No we haven’t tried that. Thank you! Will report back!

• elltwo
    2 years ago

Thanks for writing that.

• monicagomez
    2 years ago

Hi, I need the exactly peace for a tolomeo floor lamp, where did you buy it?

• Jenn Powers
    2 years ago
  • Galen Yuen
    7 months ago

@elltwo, can you provide the link showing the image on how to remove the part?

• elltwo
    7 months ago

There's a string of images under the "Add to shopping cart" tab. The image that has four hands (two people) with a mallet and pair of Channellocks is the one to which I was referring.