Software
Houzz Logo Print
smds42

What do I do first?

4 years ago

I'm updating my kitchen.... So what do I do first?

Do I paint the kitchen cabinets or the walls?

Or do I the countertops then the backsplash?

and if i were to redo floors when do I do them?

do you think i should remove any of the cabinets and just have some open shelves?




I'm so confused??? help please

Comments (24)

  • 4 years ago

    First decide if the layout as is works for you. Then your budget is important. Then draw a floor plan to scale and post it here for the pros. Do the floors match the entire house? I don't like corner sinks. What is under the clock? Is it a step down to that area?

    smds42 thanked jck910
  • 4 years ago

    https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim#n=4


    Follow this link and read it until you understand all the details.

    smds42 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 4 years ago

    I agree. Layout first.
    Then flooring - which I think looks nice. You can stain it medium brown if they’re hardwoods.
    I would invest in new cabinetry. I think it’ll make a big difference in your space.
    If you don’t need so much storage you can skip uppers (which will be significantly cheaper) and go for a more modern/ contemporary aesthetic.

    If new cabinets aren’t in the budget I would paint them.

    Darker lowers.
    Keep the uppers white.

    I would remove the small cabinets above the vent hood and fridge and get a new, larger vent.

    I would put the sink under the window.

    New countertops.

    New hardware.

    And then, LAST - comes backsplash

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you, I am going to have my cabinets professionally painted.

    I'm thinking about removing some of the upper cabinets... I have new hardware already.

    also will be getting new Counter tops and backsplash....

    The layout has to stay the same....

    The sink would be too close to the stove that way its not under the window

    I may get a new hood. My wall color will be painting on the walls will be

    BM Balboa Mist, I have it in others rooms... Not sure if I want white for cabinets?

    If I do which white? I don't want a fad and then get sick of it after a few years.



  • 4 years ago

    Well, I’m no expert, but if the sink stays in that location, I’d remove the cabinet and the one to the right of it. Definitely a lighter paint for the walls.

    smds42 thanked Mark Brunner
  • 4 years ago

    First you should determine the total color scheme, even if you plan on doing things a bit at a time. Since you have picked one paint color already coordinate with that. Two tone cabinetry is a trend, don't go there. Floors should be done last after all the painting and other work is finished to avoid damage. Paint, counter/backsplash, floors. You haven't mentioned lighting. The room seems a bit dark and may benefit from lighting upgrade. Make sure you check all finishes under the lighting in the room to avoid surprises.

    smds42 thanked meanduschi
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I love Jennifer’s excellent advice on determining what you should spend on your kitchen. She really did a great job explaining it.

    Your kitchen is quite nice the way it is but if you come to the conclusion that you need to update I would buy a counter depth, french door fridge and replace the backsplash. I like your light flooring. Love the look of open shelving but do you really want to deal with grease that splatters onto items on your shelves? With all that being said I think I’d save the money instead of updating an already nice kitchen until I was able to change the layout.

    smds42 thanked Holly- Kay
  • 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    I took the picture later in the afternoon, without all the lights on, so it looks dark. it actually not that dark in there. But yes, I am going to update the light over the counter ..I'm leaning towards white cabinets, white subway tile and counter top will have a little color in them.... I will accent with natural textures... again, I'm not doing a trend it never lasts and though it may look amazing, how long before you get sick of it?

    my style in my house for example is this.... This is my master I redid




  • 4 years ago

    Your home looks beautiful! Whatever you do will be stunning.

    smds42 thanked Holly- Kay
  • 4 years ago

    I would want to put in a dishwasher before I made any other changes. Would that be important to you?

    smds42 thanked Jules M
  • 4 years ago

    First thing I am noticing is that the baseboards look like they were painted the same color as the walls, but a different color than the trim around the doors and windows and it looks like the electrical outlets and the light switch were painted.

    I noticed this when I was looking at the kitchen photos and seeing it again in these photos. Also noticed that the hinges on the kitchen cabinets were painted over.


    If I were you I would continue the wall color and trim color that was used in the bedroom throughout the rest of the house. If I am correct and the kitchen cabinets were previously painted DIY go ahead and repaint using the trim color.


    Pick a countertop and backsplash that works with the wall and trim colors you have already selected.


    I might also change the area rugs in the bedroom. They are kind of green/gold/tan next to the warm flooring.


    Maybe try to bring in some of the chocolate browns and grayish browns with something like this

    https://www.wayfair.com/rugs/pdp/orren-ellis-malawi-abstract-brown-area-rug-w001462715.html?piid=2109160312





  • 4 years ago

    Thank you for your advise. i really appricate it.. the rug in the master bedroom is actually black / off white.. 👍 oh yes! piainted it all…now have regerts, i went and brought all new hinges, doorknobs, new outlets and covers..

    also, i am going to paint the orher rooms the same color (balbo mist) with the white trim on the windows and all baseboards .. now im just wondering what color white for the kitchen cabinets? any suggestions?

    Thank you😊

  • 4 years ago

    Your home is quite beautiful. I’m no expert either but I’d paint the walls the Bamboo Mist color before doing other changes. Changing the wall color changes everything how everything currently in place looks. New countertops and backsplash might just do it. You’re very neat and semi-minimalist so I’d only open shelf over the sink and leave the balance of uppers in place.

    smds42 thanked victoria1945
  • 4 years ago

    Use the same white for the cabinets as you used for the trim. Whites can fight with each other if you try to mix and match.

    smds42 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 4 years ago

    Jennifer, sorry… this picture is my jute rug… not my new rug… thats black and off white..🤦🏻‍♀️

  • 4 years ago

    I'm glad you changed it out. I love Balboa Mist, I love taupe (between gray and beige with purple undertones). Works beautifully with redder wood tones and with grays, blacks, whites. Love it with blue greens, wine red and deep gray violets.


    You will definitely want to change out the countertops. They will clash with Balboa Mist. The flooring may be clean enough to work.


    Can I also ask what temperature lighting you have. With purple undertones I have a huge preference for daylight bulbs (5000k). Yellow turns purple to mud, so lower temperature lighting with more yellow casts turn your beautiful taupe and purple colors muddy.






  • 4 years ago

    Hi Jennifer,

    I have no idea what temperature lighting I have? I have recess lights

    Yes, the countertop will have it be changed.... I will have to wait, till after we have the walls and the Kitchen Cabinets painted... then I'll have to find my countertop....I'm pretty sure it will be white with a little spec of something.... any ideas?

    Thank you again...

  • 4 years ago

    Do you have any replacement bulbs? The Temperature is found on the packaging.

    If not it is also found on the lightbulb itself. Sometimes it is obvious. . . like below it shows 5000K


    Sometimes it is not so obvious, but it is still there.

    There will be either a number that says 2700, 3000, 3500, 4000, 4100, 5000, 6500 with or without a K behind it, or a 2 digit code (27, 30, 35, 40 ,41, 50, 65)

    or a 3 digit code starting with a 7, 8 or 9 followed by the 2 digit k code (27, 30, 35, 40 ,41, 50, 65)

    The 7, 8, or 9 signified the CRI - color rendering index - how well the lightbulb renders different colors.



    Again the Temperature or K or Kelvin tells you how yellow, white or blue light is.


    The CRI - color Rendering Index tells you how well it reflects the various light waves that create color. The picture below is from the internet as an example, but usually a lightbulb with a low CRI misses only some colors and others are good. Usually LEDs with low CRIs miss the mark on Red more than any other color. Has something to do with phosphors and keeping energy consumption down by reducing the amount of infrared light emitted by a lightbulb. Since humans can't see infrared colors any infrared light produced is a waste of energy.


    smds42 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 4 years ago

    Jennifer, ok so we are definitly going with balbo mist for the walls.. what do you suggest for the trim and kitchen cabinets which white ??? Thank you😊

  • 4 years ago

    My personal favorite with Balboa Mist is one that is no longer manufactured, but can be purchased through any Benjamin Moore store as a custom color match. They have the formula in their computer.


    Ask for a sample pot of "Devine Color™ V0101W Icing *"


    It is a very white white with just a touch of warmth. It is a bit cleaner than Simply White, but not as cold as Chantilly Lace, both of which are often recommended to pair with Balboa Mist.



    smds42 thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • 4 years ago

    Agree with painting the walls first if you are in love with Balboa Mist. Then change the lighting and update the bulbs. With new walls and lighting, it’s much easier to choose a white. There are so many that you walls will help to narrow it down. I think white cabinets, white backsplash and a light colored countertop is classic and will last a long time.
    If you need/want a dishwasher, that will take up one 24” cabinet space. To me, it would be worth it!

    smds42 thanked RedRyder
  • 4 years ago

    Thank you..I will get that color… I can’t wait to show after pictures… 😉😊

  • 4 years ago

    Kitchen looks good as is -- far from being a disaster.


    Definitely would not replace cabinets with open shelves.


    Backsplash above the stove is a bit "busy" for my taste but your kitchen should reflect your taste. You might consider a stainless steel backsplash or panel for above the stove.


    If you are considering changing your countertop anyway, do consider moving your sink to the peninsula -- if it is or can be made 2' deep. Then, if there is room in the width of the peninsula beside the sink, consider adding a dishwasher to the right of it.


    The base cabinet corner (where peninsula meets the other countertop along the exterior wall) could have a door in the adjoining room so that space could be reached from that adjoining ?family/dining? room and that corner base cabinet could be used to store less frequently used items and/or items such as ice chest and cookout/picnic supplies since being by the patio doors, that likely would be convenient.


    Cabinets appear to be in good shape and if they don't need painting -- wouldn't unless you want to scrub them well and change the color.

    IF you decide to paint the walls of the kitchen and/or window and door trim, then do paint the adjoining open space -- ?family/dining room ? -- walls the same color(s). Would definitely paint the walls instead of the cabinets if painting is to add a light shade of your favorite color to the space.