Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kingmoosemt

Which color to eliminate from the palette?

Kim Caldwell
2 years ago

I need to choose the interior paint for our new house. We can have about 3 wall colors. The trim and ceilings will be Greek Villa. The main living areas will be Agreeable Gray but I haven't been able to settle on two other coordinating colors to use elsewhere (bedrooms, bathrooms, laundry). Sherwin-Williams is not currently doing color samples but I do have a few peel-and -stick samples that don't seem big enough to give me a good idea. I have settled on Mineral Deposit for the master bedroom. So..... 1. Which of these colors would go best in a master bath with Mineral Deposit on the bedroom walls? And...... 2. Which color do I eliminate? Thanks in advance for the help!

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Never select colors from a computer screen. I find it best to paint a sample on the wall on which it is planned in the light it will be viewed in. If you want someone else's opinion, ask someone that can touch the wall.

• craljh
    2 years ago

My SW store sent me to Lowes for samples

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

If there’s adequate natural light in bathroom I would do MD. If not then do whole room GV

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The choices will depend on the design of your house and its interior trim and your furnishings.

The one foot square stick on paint samples from Samplize may seem small but theyre far better than these little computer approximations.

Colors tend to look darker on real walls so I suspect all of these colors need to be paler.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Forget choosing color from a monitor and masrer bedroom/ bath combos should be connected both style wise and color IMO.Usually master bedroom decor is planned around the bedding so mayeb post that ofr help in those spaces. IMO one color for the public areas works well I would mucg prefer Sea Salt for the main color but what is your furniture , the flooring everything in a space affects the wall color that is why I usually use a color like Sea Salt it is much more neutral than any gray or beige . IMO do the laundry like the space next to it .

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

Sea salt in the bath. Get rid of the darker gray.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I would pick Mineral deposit for the bedroom and master bath. I really like the flow of the rooms being the same color. The colors will look different in both rooms because of lighting. It will be a shade or two off, but coordinate well.

• fissfiss
    2 years ago

In my brother’s house, Agreeable Grey does not look like the color on your screen! So make sure you check them in the space!

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Agreeable Gray and Greek Villa are warm yellow based colors. The others are cool, blue based, and will need to be balanced wirh lighting and other material choices to not look off.

This is why paint selections should be last in any actual design. They are endless, and can pull together cool and warm decor choices. But its much harder to do it the other way around. Just don’t worry about it, and plan to repaint rather than to search for the unicorn of the right mix of colors in drapes that pulls all the colors together.

If you want a “safer” 3rd color choice, pick a warmer, more *green* based, color. Sea Salt is borderline too cool, in a vacuum of no other materials in the equation. Greens are really reallynstring tight now, and you might choose even bolder than yhe more neutral tines of green below. Don’t be afraid of COLOR!

Warm base with slightly warm blue based friends.

Warm base with a bit warmer greens with a bit of blue.

• Kim Caldwell
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi all. Thanks for your thoughts. I’m feeling stuck—have deliberated on this to where I have to choose now. I chose colors from that are generally very popular and then did have Home Depot match. Unfortunately I’m not thrilled with how any of them (other than agreeable gray)looked on the wall. Then I read that color matching is not very accurate anyway. Sigh. Since we are just in the drywall stage and the lighting is not installed it’s difficult to tell light. And I haven’t chosen bedding yet.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

I’d lose all the gray. I will forever think of the gray fad in conjunction with the Covid pandemic. Let’s move on.

• User
    2 years ago

With colors with more chroma, but still grayed and not crayon bright.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I would use mineral deposit in both the master and the bath. Since that is what you have chosen for the master bedroom, the bathroom, should flow into the bedroom. If it were my personal choice, I would have used sea salt for both rooms. I would eliminate Agreeable gray, because, I really dislike that color.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I’d have the builder paint the entire house in one white color like Greek Villa. Then I would do the walls myself as I decorated each room. As Verbo stated wall color is best chosen last

• PRO
    Faye Smith Interior Design
    last month

I found Mineral Deposit pretty but too dark and Sea Salt too light and too green. I combined them 50/50 and that color is a perfect seaglass tone.