Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicki_richardson9

What to feed new kitten

Morty's Mum
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We have a new kitten, Morty, and I'm wondering what to feed him. He's been eating the Chef kitten food pouches and likes it just fine, but it works out an expensive way to feed him and creates a lot of non-recyclable waste. I have looked in all our local supermarkets and it seems you can no longer buy Chef or Whiskers kitten food in cans, only these pouches.

These are the brands in our budget, the fancier lines are too expensive, and our supermarkets dont seem to have any in a kitten formula anyway.

There seems to be a huge shortage of cat food in general everywhere I looked.

Has anyone fed their small kitten the 'adult' Chef food? Is it really that bad for a kitten to eat it?

Comments (10)

• S Rodriguez
    2 years ago

Wheat damaged my cat’s intestines so maybe avoid foods with wheat. Also second what JJ says .

• socks
    2 years ago

Yes, you need to get kitty to the vet for a health checkup and shots. However, it is best for your kitten to have kitten food. A combination of dry kibble and canned or pouch food might help the budget a bit. (Don't start the tiny cans like Fancy Feast because that does get expensive!)

• ShadyWillowFarm
    2 years ago

Youngsters have different nutritional needs than adults, so “yes” to kitten food.

• MiMi
    2 years ago

Morty, what a cute name I fed my kitten Purina Kitten Chow till he was 1 year old then switched to Purina Grain Free, chicken flavor, he is 7 now and has not been sick one day of his life and his coat is just beautiful.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Your vet is your most reliable source of your kitten’s requirements. My kitten had a medical issue that was easily corrected with the proper diet. Now four, he weighs ten pounds, thrives, and has a luxurious coat.

• annztoo
    2 years ago

Supermarkets don't carry economical brands of cat food. Visit your local pet store and check out the choices. As socks mentioned, a combination of canned and dry will help the budget but you may get lucky and find someone at the pet store that can help you find an economical, nutritional brand.

Personally, I avoid foods that have tomato and peas since they both cause diarrhea in my cats.

• Stax
    2 years ago

"Visit your local pet store and check out the choices."

Also, check on-line.

• Alice Edwards
    2 years ago

Also have many cats here, kitten food for the first?? What your vet thinks and we have learned the hard way with our feral cats that they are all over the neighborhood eating, who knows what canned people want to help, but dry food is better for their teeth unless in summer for keeping hydration and mix wet and dry if you are able for their coats need the omega oils. He is adorable and that is a very fitting name, love it, so cute!

• shwshw
    2 years ago

Look at chewy.com. Even if you don’t buy from them. You can see all existing options. I feed my 3 Friskies pate, no fish. They are not only having trouble getting the ingredients, there is also a shortage of cans. I also add a small amount of warm water to their food because cats notoriously do not drink enough water. Agree on the kitten food - very important right now. Best of luck!