Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtvhike

Chainsaw usage question

mtvhike
2 years ago

I was recently cutting a downed tree and the chainsaw got stuck. I finally worked out the chain/bar (without running the saw), but now the chain seems loose. Do you think I stretched the chain and, therefore, should not use it, or should I just tighten it by moving the bar? I'm afraid to run it in case it breaks and injures me.

Comments (10)

• rwiegand
    2 years ago

Chain tension needs to be adjusted regularly, several times a day in my experience, eg it will be different when the chain is cold vs after it has had a good chance to warm up. Not at all surprising that it would be off after wiggling the saw out of a jam. Is this somehow different than that?

mtvhike thanked rwiegand
  • jrb451
    2 years ago

Adjust your bar to take the slack out of the chain. This is normal maintenance for a saw.

mtvhike thanked jrb451
  • bengz6westmd
    2 years ago

Very unlikely you could break the chain. Just tighten it by loosening the bar, tweak the tightening screw then re-tighten the bar..

mtvhike thanked bengz6westmd
  • HU-178658043
    2 years ago

The fact that the chainsaw got stuck means that you are using it incorrectly. YouTube videos are available to give you some instruction.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I'm aware of that.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Is this a gas or battery-powered chain saw? I bought a battery-powered one and I'd have to say it's a bit more temperamental than the more powerful gas model. You have to be really careful to avoid a pinched or stuck chain. Take your time and try to anticipate which way the cut log will bend after the final cut. I typically make two cuts per limb. You probably know all this. But I think the battery-powered saw is less forgiving.

But anytime you get a stuck chain, it can stretch out the chain. Check it periodically during your cutting project and adjust it if it shows slack. If your chain ever comes off, after you get it back on, make sure it travels easily within the bar groove. I've had a chain get damaged after coming off. Had to replace the chain.

• mtvhike
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It's a Stihl gas powered. My concern isn't with having to replace the chain, but getting injured if the chain breaks.

• User
    2 years ago

TBH: In all of my years of working in the woods, I have never heard of a chain breaking let alone anyone getting hurt by one if it did. But life is dangerous, and anything is possible.

Always use proper safety equipment, hard hat, face shield, safety goggles, chaps, sound protecting earmuffs and long cuffed heavy leather gloves.

If you're that concerned just buy a new chain or better yet a new chain saw.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

"The fact that the chainsaw got stuck means that you are using it incorrectly. YouTube videos are available to give you some instruction." hahaha if you use a chainsaw for any amount of time you will get one stuck on occasion. It happens. Regular maintenance for chain saw blades is a given.