Software
Houzz Logo Print
cferoldi

48 inch cabinet pulls Question

4 years ago

I’m struggling to figure out what size cabinet pull to use on my upper 48 inch tall cabinets. Most discussions and pictures online talk about 42 inch cabinets. I’m debating between using the Ascendra from Top knobs 5 1/16 inch vs 6 5/16 pull. I think the 6 5/16 may look better, but then the majority of my lower cabinets will be the 5 inch and therefore maybe less cohesive? Any advice or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (11)

  • PRO
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

    We need pictures and IMO 48" tall single cabinets are not great design so I need to see your design. Do you have drwers for base cabinets (I sure hope so) IMO single pulls work best on drawers to allow the drawer to be opened with one hand ans also keep it openeing evenly . I often use a simple stainless pull but in manty sizes to be in proportion to the cabinets and sometimes even some horizontal and some vertical. I think knobs and pulls are like your jewlery with an outfit it takes some time to get it right . I use painters tape to see what size and placement looks best and I do that before deciding on the style or color of pull I rarely use knobs but that sometimes depends on the style of the kitchen This is a good example


  • 4 years ago

    longer but keep the profile slim. do you have a more modern doorstyle. if so you need the cool long stainless streamline look and 5-6 inches is not proportionately correct. the 48 in height could have been a nice stacked cabinet scenario. give a reveal as Patricia says a lot depends on the details . hardware can blend be a non feature or a little stronger situation with breaking up the surface or drawing attention to the doors. more pictures. very nice slab doors / simple hardware configuration but length of hardware well thought out.

    19th Hole - Open for Entertaining · More Info


    Eclectic Kitchen · More Info


  • 4 years ago

    I did the Ascendra 6-5/16” with my 48” tall doors. Love the tall doors and the pulls. i dont think you need to match the pull size everywhere. i did one size larger on a taller oantry door and my 36” drawers. photos attached.



  • 4 years ago

    Thank you so much for all of the advice! The pictures with the ascendra pulls helped me to visualize. My cabinets will be installed in the next 2 weeks. I love the clean look of the 48 inch cabinets and do not care for stacked cabinets. I agree with everyone in that I prefer the look of the one pull on my larger 33”and 36” drawers. The cabinet designer is trying to convince me to to use 2 of the 5 or 6 inch pulls instead. My concern is that I don’t see myself using both hands to open the larger drawers so the force wouldn’t be centered and aesthetically I don’t love it.

  • 4 years ago

    I would only want one pull. Not two.

  • 4 years ago

    One pull definitely.

  • 4 years ago

    Thanks! I’m definitely going to go with one pull. I love the ascendra pull. Would you use a 9 inch or 12 inch pull for a 33 and 36 inch pot and utensil drawers?

  • 4 years ago

    Since the Ascendra pull that you like comes in 9” and 12” lengths perhaps you should consider using one those sizes on all your cabinet doors since they are quite tall. The longer pulls might look more in proportionate.

    Either of those sizes would look good on your 33” and 36”drawers too.

    I actually used 10” pulls on both my upper and lower doors which are 39” and 34.5” doors.


    The drawers in the picture below are 24” wide with 12” pulls, 36” wide with 19” pulls and 17” wide with 10” pulls.


    Here is one more photo where you can see some small drawers with 6” pulls.


    Hopefully these pictures will help you visualize what the longer pulls might look like in your kitchen.

  • 4 years ago

    I think it’s personal preference. I prefer less hardware. Other folks like to scale the pulls to the doors. Either way works IMO.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you everyone! I really appreciate all the info and pictures!

  • 4 years ago

    I have all drawer in my kitchen, 36, 33 & 18s and 42 uppers. I did a 6” on all the upper cabinets and for the drawers, I did about 1/3 the width of the drawer. I think it looks good.