Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maggie_seitz

Odd size closet help!!

Maggie Seitz
2 years ago

We have this odd sized closet off of our dinning room. The closet has become a “catch all” for miscellaneous things. I need to get it organized. We have the worlds smallest coat closet in another part of the house so I’m thinking of making this our coat closet with shoe storage. We plan on removing the ugly wire storage shelves.

Any ideas on how to make this functional?

My budget is about $500 😬.

Comments (9)

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

How convenient would it be to walk from the family entrance to the dining room to hang coats here? You could try it out as a coat closet with a simple $20 portable clothes rod from a big box store or Ikea. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/rigga-clothes-rack-white-50231630/

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Which room is on the other side of the small alcove part of this closet? Would it be possible to open the other side of it for a small closet there and close off the wall in your larger closet so that it is closer to a square? That would make it easier to configure. I like the idea of trying it out as a closet with a movable rack. For a more permanent configuration, look at Ikea closet systems or Closet Maid at Home Depot. If you have a handy DIYer at home you can install them yourself. But you'll need to decide what you're putting in there before you do that so you buy the right combination of shelves, racks and drawers. How about putting out of season coats in this closet and leaving the frequently used items in the smaller closet by the front door?

• Maggie Seitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

With the configuration of our house, we walk in through our garage which enters into our kitchen then we have to walk through the kitchen & dinning room to access the current coat closet so walking through isn’t a big deal since we are already doing that.

The alcove part of the closet is the other side of a stair case so there isn’t much we can do there.

Ideally, we would like to be able to keep coats, shoes, boats, hats, gloves, etc. in this closet. One of the issues is that the door swings inward which makes it kind of awkward. The closet is kind of odd, I think the builder meant for it to be a room, there’s a window and outlets on every wall but it’s way tooo small for a room. 🤷‍♀️

• Maggie Seitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your suggestion! I never thought of putting cabinetry in there!

We live in a cold climate…We are in northern IN (very close to MI).

• Valinta
    2 years ago

ot to be harsh, but sort through the ‘collection bins’ on rack to seewhat must be kept and store on existing shelves in narrow end of closet, add similar shelves if needed.
    Remove metal rack to basement or garage.
    Hang a closet rod across other end of closet for coats and jackets. I would put window film (available at Home Depot or Lowe’s) on window so coats cannot be seen, yet light filters in. Install a shelf above closet rod for hats, etc.
    On the wall opposite the door put large strong hooks for everyday jackets, scarves, umbrellas, the dog leash.
    On the 3 walls, not using the door wall, place boot trays to catch winter drips and summer sand.

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

Do you live near a Container Store? If so, they have a sale a couple of times a year on their Elfa closet pieces. If you bring them your dimensions and needs, they'll design something for you, and you can have them install it or DIY. Ikea would be another great place to shop for storage pieces and it would probably be the most affordable.. Worth spending an afternoon there browsing.

• Maggie Seitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@valinta, totally not harsh at all! I plan on purging all that stuff! I like your ideas. Thank you!!

• Maggie Seitz
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@einportlandor unfortunately we don’t have a container store or ikea 😭