Hi everyone,
Two years ago I went to see a dermatologist. She mentioned selenium supplements, saying they were great antioxidants and could help the skin deal with UV exposure. She also mentioned that many studies had proved the efficacy of selenium enrichment in wheat to increase the heat and sun tolerance of the crops.
Well, somehow that conversation took two years to get processed through my brain and I'm only reaching the obvious question now. Why not try selenium to help my container plants handle our insane heat ? I'm in zone 11, Malta. The summers here are basically two months of nonstop sweltering heat, with several weeks above 40°c.
The problem is, how to find an adequate selenium source? I can't find any readily available selenium fertilizer. The only ones I see are bulk for industrial agriculture.
Since the plants only require a very tiny amount I am thinking of just breaking up a tablet of my own selenium supplement and diluting bits of it in the watering can once a month.
I checked Mulder's Chart and it doesn't look like the selenium would interfere with the other minerals.
Has anyone tried supplementing their plants with selenium?
Do you know of any fertilizers that specifically include selenium and are available for hobby gardeners?
seasiderooftopOriginal Author
Related Professionals
Dallas Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Palm Bay Landscape Contractors · Vicksburg Landscape Contractors · New Braunfels Home Builders · Cedar Rapids Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Trenton Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Chico Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Spanish Fork Landscape Architects & Landscape Designers · Crestview Landscape Contractors · Oklahoma City Landscape Contractors · El Paso Landscape Contractors · Decatur Tile and Stone Contractors · Waterloo Tile and Stone Contractors · Mankato Tile and Stone Contractors · Chatham Tile and Stone Contractors