Shop Products
cowhorncreek

Thoughts and Ideas for Landscape in DFW Metroplex

Hello. I haven't posted on this forum in quite some time. I am unable to garden anymore - except for a very few container plants. It's nice to be back here and I look forward to all the good advice.

My granddaughter just purchased her first home and she is really excited. There is no landscaping in front except for two trees. There is a bit of landscaping in the back, but she wants to concentrate on the front right now. We live in Zone 7b/8a in North Texas in the DFW metroplex. The front of the house faces west and, allegedly, full shade in the summers.

Any thoughts and ideas are welcome. She asked if I would post this for her, because she recalls me getting good information from Gardenweb people in the past. TIA.

• 2 years ago

If it's really full shade, or even dappled/high shade, a mixture of nandina (both standard and dwarf), hosta, dwarf mondo grass, hydrangea, and ajuga would look great. Lots of varieties to choose from and mix up. Throw in a weeping Japanese maple as a focal tree near that window to the left of the entry and she's set. Maybe some begonia for flowering color.

My personal favorites are Obsession Nandina, Firepower Nandina, chocolate chip ajuga, endless summer hydrangea, and orangeola Japanese maple.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked B in 8a DFW
  • 2 years ago

Welcome back WalnutCreek and congratulations to your granddaughter for a lovely new home! Is the house on the left really as close as it seems in the photo?

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked cecily 7A
  • 2 years ago

What a nice first home! I recommend she join a local FB garden group as their posts will give excellent advice on what works best, how to amend the soil, offers of free plants, etc. It’s a great way to get to know her neighbors too!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Sarah
  • 2 years ago

Congrats to your granddaughter!

There are so many options here. To get started: does she want low-maintenance, or want to spend more time on it? Is there a sprinkler system? Does she have any experience with gardening?

Does she want a more lush, layered look, or more formal? Will the beds be expanded, or is she wanting to work with how it is now?

In much of D/FW, there’s a mix of acidic and alkaline soils, which is great. And even in shade, she can grow certain sun lovers. Many of my ”full-sun” plants love having shade when it’s 110 out every day and no rain, even lantana.

I could list a ton of plants here, but just need more info. I’d definitely find spots for dwarf Yaupon Hollies … a workhorse and needs nearly zero care. And nandinas, as B mentioned. Of course Crape Myrtles and Vitex somewhere. :)

Calloway’s is a good retail nursery, and they do consultations, too. Have her look up Neil Sperry and Howard Garrett. Neighbors with beautiful yards are great resources, too.

Looking at that area between the front door and garage — I think it’d be a nice spot for a sitting area:

And of course, find spots for other decor besides plants — birdbath, obelisk, large pots, etc.

Exciting project!

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Jilly

Some option

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 2 years ago

Choose plants that don't freeze like boxwood, monkey grass, yaupon, antique roses.

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a thanked memetexas
  • 2 years ago

Thank you all so much for your responses. Am going to send them all to my granddaughter. I have responded until now, simply because I have been under the weather for several days, but am feeling a bit better now.

By the way, does anyone know what happened to Yardvaark?