Software
Houzz Logo Print
richandy

Need help in figuring out layout for living/dining space

13 years ago
I have a very open plan living/great space as soon as one walks into the house. I have a non existing entry way and too many doors and openings in the living area. I also do not have a separate dining room. The kitchn lies on the other side of the dining space. Can this room be salvaged with existing furniture rearranged or do I need to buy smaller pieces? I keep trying to reposition the couches to no avail. We do watch TV, so would like to have options which would not limit the viewing. Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

Comments (9)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    It would be nice if you could fine a small demilune table and mirror for the wall right around the corner from the doorway. If that is a frame by the door, find something larger for that area....small wall and small pic just do not work well there.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think the room would feel more spacious if you did not use the couch to separate the area.....good idea, though. Is there any way the couch can fit on the wall where the love seat is? Then move the love seat in front of the window, floating a bit. Center the rug the long way with the fireplace and make sure both pieces have their front legs on it.

    Move the tall shelving units to the right of the window as they are dwarfed by the fireplace and take away from the beauty of that area. Center the picture with the table.

    Remove items from the mantle as they distract from viewing the tv.
  • 13 years ago
    IF the couch does not fit on the wall across from the window, this might be one time when I suggest putting the couch in front of the window and then make an L with it with the love seat......then the division is a bit smaller and one piece does face the tv.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks abbyjean. The shelving unit to the left of the fireplace has the media components and cannot be moved. Are you suggesting to move the other unit closer to the glass sliding door? There is my daughter's recent summer camp art on the mantlepiece and I will remove it :) If I did put the love seat in front of the sliding door, it would obstruct passage into the back yard and same with centering the dining table under the art on the wall :(
  • 13 years ago
    Leave the dining table and move the art. I think that would really bring that side of the room together.....with the art lined up with the table.
  • 13 years ago
    I did not look close enough to see that was a sliding door. Uh, oh! Let me think some more.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I will let you keep the piece to the left of the fireplace. Nice, huh? BUT take the pics down off the top of both of them. Waaaaay tooo high for pictures to be appreciated. Is there room to bring the other piece over to the dining table area and use it like a china cabinet? Something to give more furniture there, other than just a table and chairs? Love the flowers on the table and I hope you enjoy them a lot!!!

    Then it would be sooooo nice to have a chair in that corner instead.....just one to sit by the fire and read......floor lamp or table and chair beside it. I do not like to suggest buying things and always try to use current pieces, but am not sure if you have one in another room that could be brought here?

    Love the rug with the wall color behind the fireplace. That totally brightens up the room. And I see at least one pillow using those colors. I hope there are more on the couch.
  • 13 years ago
    Haha yes thanks for your consideration about the left media cabinet ;) I will wait for your expert comments. Moving that art...hmm..harder than it looks...haha :)
  • 13 years ago
    BUT take a look and see how it just looks out of place on the wall where it is....the art. It is not WITH anything and it is also too high, when you look at the top of the deck door, too. Can someone help you move it?