Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkilgore75

Laundry Art Dilemma

Lee Kilgore
2 years ago

I have a new rug in laundry room and the walls are bare. I have a wall right inside the door

(To the right on the picture) that needs some subtle masculine sorta modern art or some sort of unique look (not floral, not words, not nautical). Any ideas? Even a direction would work.

The set back where washer and dryer is wall will be painted dark blue and nice shelves above.

Price no object....well not scared to spend $ but will spend it if its needed.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Sorry but I need to see the actual space and why that rug or any rug on that floor. I do not know what masculine art is so maybe post some pics of pieces you like but honestly I know no guys who spend any amount of time in the laundry room so pick something that makes you smaile or colors you like and call it a day. BTW dar blue is not a color I would mix with that floor and open shelving in a laundry room is never attractive and for sure not a place for display unless you love dusting.

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

LOL I will get more pics of the rest of the house. The house is professionally designed and decorated but laundry room was left bare. If I am not doing the laundry, then no one will as I'm the only person living there.

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• olychick
    2 years ago

^^^^ And your dog is ugly, too. Sheesh, why do you even bother to post this stuff?

Why wouldn't a man want the laundry to look nice?

I was thinking that you might not want to put expensive art in a laundry room because of the dampness and heat. I love the color of the rug and wondered what you'd think of a vintage poster there. They aren't expensive, they are large and have great colors. Plus they are fun. I like the colors in this - orange looks so good with blue. It seems pretty neutral to me - feminine vs. masculine.

But then after I clicked on the one above, lots more popped up that would be seen as more stereotypically masculine. Still great colors:

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

HAHAHA, I laughed at that too hard. My dog is gorgeous and a sweety. lol

• M Riz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I dont think you have to drop $$ on laundryroom art. lol. Judging by the art in the greatroom, it seems you have some more traditional art that you like. Find out where your designer sourced those pieces and see if theres anything else there that you like. Honestly, in my laundryroom, i have a pretty large floral (modern leaning) with bright colors that makes me smile and brightens up the joint, I found it at a home goods or something like that. Art is in the eye of the beholder, get what catches your eye, not what other people suggest.

• olychick
    2 years ago

I can't edit my post without losing the pics, so I'll just add that, if you're interested, I found these here and you can order them framed in many different sizes, great big canvas
    eta: it took me so long to get that post with the pics to post that I missed seeing your other pics of your home. It's beautiful and you obviously have a good eye. And my snarky comment looks like it was intended for you, because your post came in above my arrows, but it was intended for
    Debby Downer who posts negative and derogatory comments about everyone's choices but her own.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Your style says classic to mee so IMO stay with that for the laundry room but add a bit of fun with the art .

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

M Riz, I have been looking and looking and nothing jumps out. Its the ONLY room in the entire house that wasn't touched so it is like forgotten and its across the hall from the powder so when I entertain I can close door or when I give tours of the house I don't want to be like, and here is my dust bin of a laundry room lol. The art in the house is big and I didnt want to have to pay a designer to find one picture or something for one little wall. I paid enough for the rest lol

• njmomma
    2 years ago

Abstract Modern Wall Painting Fine Art Limited Edition 60" Giclee by ELOISExxx · More Info

"Abstract Water Reflection" Oil Painting,modern impressionist art · More Info

• K R
    2 years ago

Cool house! Anything will work, as long as it’s NOT anything like this. Lol I happen to like wallpaper in a laundry room, it jazzes it up. I also like a runner for my own personal use, it’s nice to have a rug to stand on when I’m doing laundry.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

An artist I like …

https://www.etsy.com/shop/DANGERDUST

I’ve ordered two of his works so far and plan to get more. They come on wonderful, thick textured paper and I love the colors and minimalist aspect.

This one is in my guest room:

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yeah I didn’t want word art or floral. I looked at an iron sculpture for the wall etc and nothing grabbed me but all of this helps.

• Emily R.
    2 years ago

@Jilly Thanks for sharing the Dangerdust shop -- gorgeous prints!! I've started lobbying for one. ;)

• armjim
    2 years ago

We have almost the same piece of art in our dining area that you have. Incredible. You do have a very nice home.

Regarding the Laundry room, just to suggest something different, would you consider something like framing old ads of vintage washers and dryers, or cars? You can purchase old ads on ebay, and then put them in frames. It is fun if you have the interest, and becomes conversation starters.

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The dining room and these are by same artist. I wanted not landscape too so not to have it all lansdscape

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Laundry rooms can be a fun space to hang something that you love but may not be as appropriate for in your living room.

My BIL is a volunteer fireman - found this at an art show:

I have this hanging by my front door, but some people would hesitate to display it so prominantly

I like this by Phil Singer for a laundry room

I don't know what your passions are, so it is hard to know what may strike you as personal.

This is the guts from an old radio owned by an engineer I know. . .

This octopus on Etsy might be cool in a laundry room

This isn't masculine but cute for a laundry room

You love your dog - can you get a picture of him/her getting a bath?

• ker9
    2 years ago

Too funny…the art of manly laundry on Pinterest

https://pin.it/4hAphLD

• olychick
    2 years ago

Ker9, The art of manly laundry is too, too funny!!! I love those...if only there were a man here to do laundry. But there are a few pics there I'd love to look at while I do my own laundry, lol!! Thanks for posting it, I got quite a kick out of it; who knew?

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Off topic, but do you know what laundry room was painted with?

• armjim
    2 years ago

Lee, is the artist of the art you shared F. de Andrade Boothe? That is who did ours. I like more traditional and my partner likes much more modern, and the piece that we bought last November was enough of a compromise for us. Your kitchen is fantastic. You ought to post a couple of pictures of your LR to help inspire the suggestions you are getting. There has been some good art upthread.

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Everdebz, sherwin williams agreeable grey

• Lee Kilgore
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oops just looked back. It’s Sherwin Williams Argos

• beeboo22
    2 years ago

Maybe a fun dog portrait? Lots of options on Etsy

• houssaon
    2 years ago

Check out allposters.com. They have a wide range of prints, posters, and photographs.

• elisejames
    2 years ago

You have so many options! If money is no object, I think you should consider commissioning a piece from an artist you like. A personal favorite artist is Deborah Lynn Irmas (http://www.deborahlynnirmas.com) - innovative, graphic and also calming. If her work isn’t for you, this seems like a great excuse for some travel and art-hunting. Get something you like that reminds you of a place you love.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

Tim Nyberg "Larry Looks Lonely"

This one below is "Steve"

• olychick
    2 years ago

It looks like many of us think whimsical might be a good choice in a laundry room! There’s some fun stuff in this thread.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Sax Dog by Daniel Patrick Kessler

More prints by Kessler: https://www.icanvas.com/canvas-art-prints/artist/daniel-patrick-kessler?product=canvas&sort=popular

I love Kessler's work. Makes me smile. I have Tres Amigos hanging in my kitchen.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I love the orange race car posters OlyChick posted. They are upbeat and full of energy, which seems to be both masculine and laundry-room appropriate.

They'd match nicely with the dark gray rug.

If you need any shelves, etc. in the laundry room, they'd work well in orange /tie into the poster.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

Are there any juried art shows near you? It is a great way to find art and artists that resonate with you.