Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_928111535

Backsplash ideas for White and Green

Karen K
last year

I'm looking for backsplash ideas for my new kitchen. The island will be a darker green, white cabinets and an off white quartz countertop. I'm stuck on the backsplash. I want something to provide some contract so white subway tile is out. Green tiles are very hard to find and are either much too light or too dark. Would a grey/off white work well? Any ideas appreciated

Comments (18)

• eld6161
    last year

Have you already ordered the island? I would choose a green tile and coordinate it for a green paint for the island.

Can you post pictures of the green you are thinking about?

• Karen K
    Original Author
    last year

I'm thinking something to this effect or even a shade or two darker. I've seen some MSI marble backsplashes such as Greecian White but my concerns were that it may be 1) too blue to conflict with the green island 2) too much white/light and wash out.

What does anyone think based on this photo which will be quite similar to my kitchen?

• Sammie J
    last year

What color/type are your floors?

• Karen K
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I believe they are pine, very similar to this photo. Also, walls are mindful grey but Sherman Williams, greige almost.

• Fori
    last year

Green tiles can be found! (I love green tile.)

Try Pratt & Larson or Fireclay or Sonoma for starters...

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

I decided on a monochromatic look, handmade green subway tile backsplash (Blue Slide tiles made in Point Reyes, CA) and Farrow & Ball Blue Gray painted cabinets.

• clt3
    last year

Quemere Designs also has a lot of greens in various shapes. We used one called Mediterranean Blue in our kitchen (it's actually a green).

• Dream Sofa
    last year

@chinacatpeekin i love, love your kitchen. we are in the midst of a rennovation and our cabinets will be F&B Pigeon. would you mind sharing your countertop?

• mvcanada
    last year

Very pretty green colour you've chosen. I think you'll be able to find a tile with green elements that will work. Also, the backsplash tile is not abutting the green on the island so you need a green in the right colour family but not necessarily the same green.

Here are some examples I've seen....I also have a love of green tiles and some of these marble mosaics are so gorgeous. I keep waiting for a project where I can use some of these ideas.

These first few are ming green marble mosaic....usually mixed with Thassos marble. This can get spendy pretty quickly - I don't know how much tile you need.

Marble Mosaics – Toronto Tiles | Saltillo Imports Inc. Toronto · More Info

I love this fan shape and the subtle colour shades.

This one is also very subtle, braided leaves pattern.

Ming Green Marble Tile | Wayfair.ca · More Info

A little whimsical.....

Green Tiles & Mosaics- Green Subway Tile, Glass, Mosaic & More · More Info

Green Tiles & Mosaics- Green Subway Tile, Glass, Mosaic & More · More Info

I think this one is too dark but there are lots of variations on this type and I like it laid in an offset for the 4 X 4 size. Classic but not old fashioned.....

Cloe 2.5" x 8" Ceramic Tile in White | Bedrosians Tile & Stone · More Info

This one comes in other formats but this is the only picture I could find of the green colour. https://www.anatoliatile.com/collections/soho

Anatolia | Soho, Ceramic + Porcelain · More Info

This one is a Riad tile which I think is gorgeous. It might be a little too blue but the hint of iridescence in this tile is just gorgeous and the watery blue green tones are spectacular IMO.

• hu818472722
    last year

This is a double chevron with Biltmore Marble from The Tile Shop.

• daisychain Zn3b
    last year

When I saw the colour of your island, the first thing I thought was ming green marble. I love the choices posted above. However, the ceramic greens from anatolia tile are also to die for. Look forward to seeing what you choose.

• Maureen
    last year

Given white cabinets, off white counters, greige walls and green island (shade will have a major influence), suggest thinking big picture: how to connect the shades/space and what suits your overall style.

I’d wait until everything else is done and then bring home lots of samples; not only for color, but style will also have a major impact.

• Karen K
    Original Author
    last year

Lots of great advice and input from everyone, thank you!

• chinacatpeekin
    last year

Dream Sofa, the countertop is marble, “Calacatta Venato Blanco”. I love it! I confess, I am careful with it. I love F&B Pigeon, and came very close to using it on the cabinets.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year
    last modified: last year

wait until everything is in. then you choose.

order some samples from Encore Ceramics and Fireclay tile. they have some gorgeous greens

so does Winchester tiles

Tundra

pasture

• RedRyder
    last year

I love the color you’re planning for the cabinets. Waiting till everything is done, including lighting, is the best scenario for choosing tile. You really need to see “the whole picture” to choose a great backsplash tile.

• john3582
    last year

North Prairie tile works and Mercury Mosaics both have some beautiful greens.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    last year

If you can wait until cabinets and counters are in I would do so before commiting to a backsplash.. I think green would be expected. what other finishes are in the space? What other accent colors will you have in the home? Have you thought about incorporating a black accent or gold or polsihed nickel. That leads me to ask what is your lighing and hardware? You need not use your backsplash as the color in the space, you can bring that in with accessories and window treatments.