Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bhairavii

living room. need ideas to spruce up

I’m not sure how to fix my decor in the living room. I actually had a huge sectional which I made into a couch by removing 2 pieces from it. The reason being - I did not want the sectional to take over the huge window. As you can tell, I love plants and would like to incorporate more into the room (that’s why I have some empty planters). I feel like the furniture is too bulky and it’s taking over the room. I do have 2 young kids and so would like suggestions for something which looks good while at the same time to easy to clean. I know my tv cabinet is overloaded with Knick knacks but I’ll be spreading them around the house instead of keeping it all in that one spot. Any ideas would help! Thanks!

Comments (42)

• freedomplace1
    last year
    last modified: last year

A lighter coffee table could do alot to lighten the space. An ottoman style would also be better with young children afoot.

Studio Designs Home Camber Modern Leather Cocktail Ottoman in Caramel Brown · More Info

Camber Modern Large Cocktail Tufted Square Ottoman with Metal Frame · More Info

^^^

This one is also available from Overstock, as well as other vendors.

• decoenthusiaste
    last year

Does part of the sofa recline? With kiddos, I would eliminate the coffee table in favor of a few "C" tables. A credenza below TV should be 25% wider than the TV. Try drapes on the large window and roman or roller shades in the same fabric on the small ones flanking TV.

Garrett Park · More Info

Falmouth Residence · More Info

Miami-Master Bedroom C · More Info

• chloebud
    last year

Definitely lower the TV for both viewing and anchoring it to the console. Right now it’s ”floating” too high up. As deco mentioned, console should be 25% wider than TV.

• Yvonne Martin
    last year

I think that you need lamps in your room--either floor lamps or lamps on end tables. Even if no one in your family reads, lamps add ambience when it is dark outside.

You will get more oomph out of your plants if they aren't spread around so much. Plan their containers and tables so that everything coordinates, not necessarily matches.

• pat1250
    last year

Following

• M Riz
    last year

I would get rid of those, too short curtains that have no function. Its just clutter serving no purpose. Swap out the too small artwork to the left and try to find a much larger single piece. I think your problem is that you have a lot of smaller pieces that arent doing anything visually. How much do you love that chandelier?

• Timi M
    last year

First, I like your space. It’s casual and charming. I like your artwork and plants, and agree with many of the suggestions above. Small changes will make a big difference. Will love to see your enhanced space.

• Maureen
    last year

It just needs some tweeking in regards to editing and balance. I’d put the plants together by large window, ensure pots, heights, etc, create a cohesive vignette.

Place chairs by windows on a slant, pulled into room a bit and when/if needed for tv watching can easily be turned. If possible, move coffee table closer to couch for more functionality.

Rethink how console is accessorized (less is better) and lower tv.

Suggest removing shelf/art and add large artwork or a collage (don’t hang too high for more balance) and try floor lamp in other spots.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all for the great ideas! I made some changes based on the wonderful comments I received. Moved all the plants to one section of the room and pushed the 2 couches towards the wall. Definitely the room looks bigger! I’ll also remove the small decor items and the floating shelf in the corner and instead add a gallery wall maybe. What do you all think about the positioning of the floor lamp? It feels a little weird that it’s focused on the plants and not on the couch. Thoughts? Would also love some general feedback about the changes I made.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Also, wanted to add, I’ll buy 2 small c end tables for both the couches.

• Susan
    last year

So much better!!! Love it when a few tweaks can make such an improvement! You’re on your way!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Can you try this…? Move the chairs out of the corners and place them next to the sofa, angled so they are facing tv? Move the plants into the corner. Bunch them together instead of lining them up in a row. They need to be different heights, the taller ones in the back.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Or, if that does’t work, try placing the chairs next to each other, side by side, to the left of the sofa. Having the chairs in the corners doesn’t work for either conversation or tv watching.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Playing around with more plant decor combinations. Any thoughts on this? Again, not able to pin what is wrong with this arrangement. Is it the plant stands with different heights that it making it look a little meh?

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

@amanda. If I move the 2 couches to the left, there will barely be a place to walk. I think I need to get a narrower chair if I got with that decor.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Are the walls in the room really that yellow in color. If so that is not working with your furnishings selections.

I would lower the TV and add drapery panels to the room.

• yumelizabeth
    last year

I think a bigger plant would look better where you have the floorlamp now. All the small ones together make the room feel cluttered.

• plf12652
    last year

I would put ALL the plants on the table at the window. Use the smaller brass tables beside the chairs. I think the plant problem is that most of them are too small to have an impact and the pots are all different and the tables are all different. You need more cohesion in the grouping…..so take away the different tables and consider getting pots that work better together. Same color, maybe off white, different heights, then group them all on the red table with the very little ones in front nearest the window.

• lmmcnitt
    last year

The changes look much improved. The tv and console still needs tweaking. The tv should be more in relation to the console. Console is small, console is white and stands out, console is too far away from tv. Might be a better idea to get a new larger non white console and NO tiny things or plants on top of it. That is distracting. Moving all the plants to the windows looks great. Also some long draperies to warm up the space would be a nice finishing touch.

• Maureen
    last year

Lamp should be moved and try next to couch or on opposite wall. End tables may make room feel cluttered. Pull chairs away from windows. Plants are still not working well; need volume/height/some consistency.

• felizlady
    last year

Bring the TV lower so you don’t have to look UP to see it. Get rid of all the teeny-tiny tables unless you actually use them. Add long (but not touching the floor) drapery panels to frame each window…it will make the windows look nice and can accentuate the ceiling height.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

Who convinced you to move two chairs so that guests can no longer watch TV. Terrible idea.

I like your coffee table. No need to change that.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

The walls are not yellow. The soft yellow light made them look yellow. Here’s a picture without lights.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Agree with Beverly. The chairs in the corners have become virtually useless.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Can you follow Beverly’s design plan and post a photo?

• housegal200
    last year

I don't think anyone has suggested this: a wide bookcase windowsill level across that entire wall with TV lowered and all plants under and hear the windows. This would streamline the room very well and you could leave your white Roman shades and everything else as is. Change out upholstered furnishings when kids get older. Right now the room is broken up with too many smaller pieces.

Living Room Media Bookcase · More Info

• Tia
    last year

the single problem with your living room (from what i can see) is the TV wall is completely overwhelmed by everything else in that room - color, scale, material, texture. your sofa is bulky - but i am not talking about it's size, but rather it is style. all my sofa are over sized but they they are all white including white leather with modern straight line. then you have this puny little thing under the TV that looks like a kid's furniture; your entire living room has no architectural details - it is just a box. what i would do are 1) find a more substantial well built side board. better yet, have a complete built in that extends above and round your TV. you need actual physical structure to balance everything else you have in the room. in any case, a TV on a bland wall between two big boring nondescript windows is what is wrong with your living room.

• Susan
    last year

Beverly, there does not seem to be enough room in front of the big window to have the chairs together there…her couch is two parts of a sectional which looks like it extends fairly close to the big window. Bhairavi, maybe you should bring back the full sectional. It may fit the space better.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Apologies for the mess under the console table but I made the changes suggested. I couldn’t slant the couches like requested as there was no room. I’m actually thinking of changing the 2 boxy small couches to 2 smaller rattan chairs. Would love some suggestions as well! I also removed the small planters and instead pushed most of the plants to the table. I now have room to add more plants in the other window now that the couch is out of there.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Now I’m also seeing what others are saying. The couches and the console table is huge and the tv cabinet is extremely small in proportion compared to the rest of the furniture. I actually have a smaller brown leather couch in the loft area. I’m thinking of removing the large couch and replacing with the smaller brown 3 seater leather couch. I’ll also remove the 2 smaller brown couches and replace with an even smaller comfortable chair. I just bought the tv console and so thinking if I can repurpose it elsewhere instead of getting rid of it.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Can you take all plants out of that window area and push the chairs farther back?

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I think the tv console can be made to work with the right decor on it.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Try a stack of books and some larger plants on it.

• Susan
    last year

I think the layout with the chairs in the corners is the best…the corner of the media cabinet offers a spot to set down a drink. The chairs are close enough to the couch for conversation. These days, with personal devices, all of the seating does not have to face the tv. If everyone wants to gather round to watch tv, the chairs can be pulled out from the corners a bit and faced toward the tv. Lower the tv. A brown basket that fills the whole bottom shelf in place of the white one will look better. One more suggestion for your plants…try grouping a few small ones on the media cabinet (2 on one end and the third on the other end), then group the brass pot with the two brass plant stands in front of the large window, placing the vining plant on the taller stand, and an appropriately sized plant on the smaller one, then group the remainder of the smaller plants on the coffee table. Move the big white potted plant beside the chair on the left and the media cabinet.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Hello! Went on vacation and couldn’t reply. I ended up changing the furniture. I got rid of the big sectional and the coffee table. I had a leather couch in the loft which I bought here. I rearranged the plants. What does everyone think? I’m looking to purchase a circular coffee table and end tables. I still need to lower the tv and add an oversized art piece in the plant nook.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

Also, changed the rug. Has this rug in the loft and I feel like it’s better here. I’m not a big fan of the accent chair as it’s old style. I’ll move that to the bedroom and add a more modern accent here. Would love some recommendations.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Bravo! Looks great!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I would do something about the drapes… they look awkward.

• Bhairavi Krishnan
    Original Author
    last year

What do you suggest for the drapes?

• Kay p
    last year

You need more panel of drapes.
    Two panels on each window. Try lowering the rod and also I feel your drapes should come down to the floor

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Yes, the drapes need to touch the floor.