Software
Houzz Logo Print
ekgrows

Raspberry Hot pepper jelly?

3 years ago

Hi! I have a lot of black raspberries frozen from this summer. I was wanting to make a raspberry hot pepper jelly - similar to the traditional hot pepper jelly (Hot peppers, certo, vinegar, and sugar). I have been unsucessful in finding a recipe. I'd also consider a hot pepper raspberry jam. I have found a few recipes, but all seem "iffy" at best. Most have 1-2 jalapenos added to a raspberry jam recipe. This one looks like it might be similar to what I want, but the amount of peppers vs lemon juice are troubling me. http://recipeofhealth.com/recipe/raspberry-habanero-jam-beware-hot-stuff-509120rb


So does anyone have a recipe to share? Or have you made fruit pepper jellies or jams in the past? Thanks for any insight. :)


On a separate note, I was also kind of wanting to make the chocolate raspberry jam in the Ball book. Anyone try this? How did you like it?


Thanks again!!!

Comments (4)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    A chocolate and black raspberry jam sounds wonderful, but I’ve never tried it.

    Re the recipe you linked, the 2 tbs lemon juice seems normal. One cup of minced habanero peppers would make it HOT!

    Re your original idea of black raspberry and jalapeno, it just doesn’t jump out as a natural combination for me. I’d make a single jar to try it first.

  • 3 years ago

    If you are looking for a flavor combo for the black raspberries, I’d try apple. I made an apple and jalapeno jelly last year that was excellent…. I used the apple so that I didn’t need to add pectin.

  • 3 years ago

    You're right to question the acidity of the recipe you posted. Here is a tested recipe that you can sub your raspberries for the peaches.... Peach Jalapeno Jam - Kansas State University Recipe

    3 cups crushed peaches

    (about 2 lbs, or 4 large peaches)

    1/2 cup jalapeno peppers, finely chopped (about 1/4 pound, or 4-5 peppers)

    1 cup water

    3/4 cup cider vinegar

    3/4 cup lemon juice

    1 – 1 3/4 oz. package powdered pectin

    4 cups sugar

    Wash, pit, and crush peaches. Wash peppers, remove stems and seeds, and chop finely. Combine peaches, peppers, water, vinegar, and lemon juice in a 5-6 quart pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring often to prevent scorching.

    Add pectin to the peach/pepper mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar, stirring well to dissolve completely. Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil hard for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and skim foam, if needed.

    Ladle into sterile, hot, half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe jar rims with a dampened clean paper towel. Adjust two-piece lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at 1000-6000 feet above sea level. Yield: 4-5 half-pint jars.

    ekgrows thanked canfan
  • 3 years ago

    I did make the chocolate raspberry jam and it was good, but never set up. It made great sauce, though, for cheesecake and ice cream.


    I found a couple of recipes out on the internet, but I haven't tried to make any hot pepper jelly other than Habanero Gold.


    Annie

    ekgrows thanked annie1992