Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_217751980

Thoughts on Cambria Oakleigh for open concept kitchen island

Jacquie
last year

Condo kitchen has awful brown laminate. Want to upgrade to quartz but have been underwhelmed by choices for months. If I'm investing a good chunk of cash I want countertops that have a wow factor and I can love. I love the beauty of Cambria. It was the Inverness Cobalt that first grabbed my attention, but I think in my open concept condo kitchen with expresso cabinets, dark wood floors that the Hemsworth with black scattered veining would be more suitable. My heart pounds for the Oakleigh though that is a mixture of the black with gold veining. I really want something nold with pop. I love the deep colours. Until I saw the Cambria I was leaning towards Hanstone Chantilly and wished the blacks were blacker. Cambria has what I was looking for. But would love others opinion on going as bold as the Oakleigh. I would use solid white on the remainder of the kitchen counters along the perimeter. The Oakleigh will be used for my two small bathroom vanities also.

Comments (10)

• Jacquie
    Original Author
    last year

• Jacquie
    Original Author
    last year

• shabbu
    last year

@Jacquie Personally I love the Cambria Oakleigh. I think the black & gold look especially nice together. I am also on the fence whether to go big & bold with cambria. It is quite an investment. On the cheaper side I did look at the MSI Calacutta Laza Night, but it is missing the gold and has dark black thick veining compared to the lighter more fluid black in the Oakleigh.

• chispa
    last year

Have you considered a white quartz and then do an amazing backsplash?

Hard to suggest more without seeing the rest of the space and how you decorate.

Holkham | Rural Meets Urban · More Info

• Jacquie Lynch
    last year

It is an investment for sure. Its been months of me searching for the right look. No matter which brand they are all expensive. I dont want to settle for a design I don't love and be out $x.00 and have buyers remorse when if I just spent a bit more I'll love what my money bought. I didn't want white though the contrast was being recommended. I prefer greys and the swooshy, scattered style to Calacatta or Statutario. I have walked through warehouses and yards looking at slabs and nothing pulled me in. I came around to white base as best but want distinct contrast. I really was leaning toward Hanstone's Chantilly. Caesarstone Empira White but havent seen a large slab. Hanstones is more affordable. I only wished for a bit darker areas. It was the blues and greens in Cambria that I was in love with. Their Inverness Cobalt is gorgeous. I thought maybe the blue wouldnt suit my condo which is painted dark grey and that the blacks would be better. The Hemsworth has more of the scattered veining and Oakleigh is same design but with the two tones. I'm so caught with loving it and being scared of it. Its the gorgeous dress you want to buy but worried it is too fancy to wear. Price wise if I only use the Cambria on the island and stick to a solid white for perimeter the cost comes down to same or less than if I did my entire place in Chantilly. I  keep wondering if the Chantilly is the safer bet and it's beauty will be longer loved than the boldness of Oakleigh or Hemsworth. Hence my dilemma and serking thoughts here. I lost my mom last year and she was the artist. She would have known immediately what would look best AND fit with my tastes. I think the fact it has been 3.5 months of me searching is a reflection of my missing her opinion. Thing is these counterops will be seen mostly by me so I should choose what makes me happy not what others think. But a lot of money is on the table.

• shabbu
    last year

" I'm so caught with loving it and being scared of it. " - I can absolutely relate. I do like the oakleigh, but am worried it will seem too out there. I also think I should just go for it, as I like it, it would be money worth spent in a quality stone. Its been the same for me. I have visited both MSI & Cambria stone yards, have only been confidently attracted to the Oakleigh, everything else looks boring or generic.

I have also considered, just going with simple white counters and maybe going bold with the backslash, but just like you, I personally will be seeing the countertops the most during the day and I feel going bold is the right choice.

I do like the chantilly, it has softer movement, colors are less intense in certain areas with a true black in others. Best of luck in your search, maybe you can ask a friend who has eye in design, for suggestions.

• HU-990641611
    8 months ago

I have white shaker cabinets i am conflicted to go with oakleigh , everleigh or harlow. they are all newer then when i dud my last kitchrn with portrush. i see everyone using oakleigh with warmer cabinets

• HU-990641611
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

These are my floors this was taken at tile store

• Jacquie Lynch
    7 months ago

A recent comment brought me ba k to this post. I'll report that I decided to go with beautiful and classic Brittanica instead of the Oakleigh, Hemsworth or Inverness. I saved a bit by buying only one slab Cambria. I used the Brittanica on my kitchen island and backsplash as well as my two bathroom vanities. For the long kitchen counter from one side of condo to the other I put in an off white that matched with the Brittanica. I like the final product and glad I saved thousands but sometimes I wish I had gone all out and done it all in Brittanica because it is lovely. Other times I wish I had gone with the Oakleigh LOL. Still, very happy with the final outcome. Sharing some photos of my kitchen