Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leamonzgirl

Will this wall paper look okay here?

Tara L
last year

I am doing an accent wall in my hallway. Will this paper look okay even though the hallway walls aren’t white??

I will have a black console table there and a mirror above it. Eventually it’ll be a black cabinet. Cold hardware.

Comments (25)

• kandrewspa
    last year

I would skip the wallpaper unless you're going to replace the carpet and paint. A console with a mirror will be fine by itself.

• Ida
    last year

Since you'll be placing a piece of furniture there with a mirror above, I don't think you're going to get enough bang for the buck (or effort) from hanging wallpaper in that space. I'd skip the paper.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for you’re feedback. I’ve had a table and mirror there for years but I’m looking for something new. I know I want wall paper but not sure I can use this with the hallway painted this color or if I should doing something with a cream background to work more closely with the current wall color.

I will be shampooing the carpet today :)

• lisaam
    last year

If you’d like paper there, how about a small print, similar shades as paint and rug, but darker? for some reason im envisioning a moody william morris pattern there.

this is a peel and stick paper.

• houssaon
    last year

I think you can find a better wallpaper. I like the one lisaam suggested.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

I think I pay take this back. I have junk it’s better to stay in the same color family.

I don’t like floral prints so it would have to geometric if I did wallpaper. A very modern look.

• ilikefriday
    last year
    last modified: last year

I think the problem with white/cream wallpaper next to white walls is it makes the walls and ceiling look dirty, no matter how clean they really are. In this case, your wallpaper is competing with the walls, ceiling, and carpet. I would go with something that has a dominant color that is not any shade of white or beige.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

I agree

• ilikefriday
    last year

You could do a very similar design but instead of using wallpaper, you could use a stencil. That way you are sure that the adjacent walls match. You would only be stenciling black lines onto your existing color walls.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

I like that idea, but would I be able to use black or should I stay in the color range of cream and brown?

• ptreckel
    last year

Wonderful suggestion to stencil ON the wall of the same color as the hall walls. Do this. If you like the pattern of the paper that you showed us, get some tracing paper (or even some parchment paper from your kitchen drawer.) Tape it to the wall paper and trace the pattern on it. Then, go to a craft store where you can buy your own stencil paper and matte knife and make your own stencil. Then get black paint and a stencil brush…and stencil away! What I like about your chosen wallpaper pattern is how it subtly reinforces the pattern in your carpet. Clever girl!

• ilikefriday
    last year

You could use whatever color paint you want. The wallpaper you selected appears on my screen to be black and white. That's why I suggested black but you are only limited by your imagination with paint color. You don't even have to use paint. You could do a monochromatic look by using Polycrylic or you could do a metallic look by using RubNBuff. The possibilities are endless.

I like black because it adds more drama and I gravitate to that look.

• ilikefriday
    last year

@ptreckel

Have you ever made your own stencil? I have done my fair share of stenciling but have never tried to make my own. I am wondering if it's as easy a process as it sounds.

• MJD232
    last year

Following. Just did a quick search and there seems to be lots of options for geometric stencils. Great idea!

• ptreckel
    last year

It isn’t as easy as one would wish. It requires a lot of careful cutting and a sharp matte knife. Yes to doing it once. Back in the day when it was current. I suspect the methods and tools have improved since then. I will bet the OP can find a pre cut version in a modern pattern without the challenge of cutting an original stencil.

• ilikefriday
    last year

@ptreckel

Yes to doing it once. Back in the day when it was current.

Is stenciling no longer current? I would think it has gained popularity over the past several years. I don't see people mentioning it much on Houzz but I figure that is because it is a DIY project and many people here shy away from those. I have completed 3 or 4 stenciling projects over the past several years and have been happy with all of them.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

That wallpaper doesn't coordinate with your current finishes. The white with the off white is really the issue.

No to the mirror at the end of the hallway.

If you select the correct items you won't need wallpaper as an accent.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

The top picture is really nice

• ilikefriday
    last year

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

I ended up doing this. I will find some art to bring in some color.

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

And I’m going to hand the mirror today.

• ilikefriday
    last year

Omg this is a fabulous transformation and so fast!

• Tara L
    Original Author
    last year

Yeah I move pretty quick lol it was very minimal work 😊 I love when I can make big changes quickly because I’m inpatient lol

• Jilly
    last year

That looks great!

• RedRyder
    last year

Great outcome! Yes, something other than a mirror will be fabulous there.