Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
heidi360

Should I mount a TV over large rock fireplace mantel?

Heidi Schmid
last year

I am finishing up a cabin refresh and wasn't going to a TV in the super-tiny living room, but now I want to. It seems the best place is over the mantel with an articulating arm but are there any other options? Pictures of all the walls are included. I don't think we'll ever use the fireplace vents and won't watch TV and use the fireplace at the same time.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Kristina Lawrence Interior Design
    last year

Hi! You certainly can. Those vents do make things a little awkward, but I think as long as you get a TV large enough to cover the vents, but not much larger, you'll be fine.

Heidi Schmid thanked Kristina Lawrence Interior Design
  • Heidi Schmid
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you!

• njmomma
    last year

The vents were placed there for a reason. I would not cover them.

Heidi Schmid thanked njmomma
  • Lynn Brenner
    last year
    last modified: last year

I wouldn't cover the vents with anything unless you are absolutely sure they serve no purpose. If they are functional, I'd paint the vents to match the stone.

Heidi Schmid thanked Lynn Brenner
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I totally think on the stair wall is the best spot fot the TV and sorry but just one time somone starts a fire that TV will be toast .and the TV there will be way too high.

Heidi Schmid thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • cupofkindnessgw
    last year

What are the vents there for? We had a wood burning fireplace but no vents. We had a dmaper, do the vents operate in conjunction with the damper?

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    last year

This is good old heat circulating fireplace. Those vents are for heated air from the fireplace to circulate into the room. Certainly NOT the place you want a TV, it will fry the electronics.

There are no provisions in the original installation instructions from the manufacturers of these fireplaces for covering the vents that I have ever seen. There have been many discussions on Houzz about whether or not they can be covered, but as a fireplace professional, I say if it is not in the instructions, don't do it.

• Kate
    last year

I would paint those vents to match the stone. Like the tv on the stair wall best.

• Maureen
    last year

• PRO
    Joy Street Design
    11 months ago

You might consider placing the TV not above the fireplace since you have those vents. It might work to place your TV over a console under the stairs. You could always drywall in the space or make a closet there so that you could then place the TV over console directly on the wall.

Den Renovation: Family Room · More Info

• Susie .
    11 months ago

I would expect hot air to come out of those vents - have you tried the fireplace?

• gigi4321
    11 months ago

You have only two choices if you want seating in front of the tv. Over the fireplace or on the stair wall. On the stair wall you would have to put seating in front of the fireplace. I guess you could put two swivel chairs in the middle of the room but that might be awkward.

I would contact a fireplace professional to see if you can block the vents. I would think it's possible because you have a chimney, the vents are most likely just for heating the room.

Over the fireplace is the best option if you can do it safely. I love the rock fireplace!

• zone4painter
    11 months ago

Old post.