Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edwmom

Updated - New Direction. Am I On The Right Track?

edwmom
last year
last modified: last year

Hi there,

I'd love your help, thoughts and advice.

My home office is a blank slate. Currently - Dark wood floors (jacobean stain), cream paint on the walls (from the previous house owner). It's pretty much the last space in our house that hasn't been touched in the time since we moved in 7 years ago.

I like color and would not like a neutral room. I'm in a creative profession and like to work in a room with fun energy. I also do a lot of work Zooms so I want what's behind me to look pretty and pulled together.

My office is up on the 2nd floor. It's small (10x11) but nice and bright (one big window facing SW). I like my desk in front of the window, so I sit looking out. In this design the wall of new bookshelves/cabinets would be directly behind me when seated at my desk.

I've put together a room design board with my selections so far but before I pull the trigger and make purchases I'd love your thoughts/advice.

Here are some thoughts:

- The room needs a lot more storage. I will be installing a wall of built-in white cabinets (a row of Ikea Billy Oxberg book shelves arranged like in the photo and made to look built-in with trim) along the entry door wall (the paint color will be seen above the built-ins and alongside the right end beside the entry door). Above the shelves/cabinets will be gold tone picture lights.

- The lavender chair and white desk I already own and want to keep and use them.

- I'm comfortable with a deep./saturated wall color as there will be a ton of white in the room (a full wall of white book shelves/cabinets, white ceiling, 2 white doors, white trim).

- I want to add a chair-and-a-half (with a twin sofa bed inside) to the space in case I need extra sleeping space for guests. I'm unsure what color for the chair - I'm thinking a light neutral tan?

- Most of the artwork I will hang has black frames with white mattes (like in the photo).

- I have no idea what to do about window dressing?

- Would you paint the back of the bookshelves a color or leave them white?

- Is the rug too much? Should I do something different? I'm trying to bring it all together.

What do you think? What would you do differently?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Comments (139)

• Molly
    last year

Here are a few more. I put 2 in your room, but I don’t think your wall color is showing up as the real color.

edwmom thanked Molly
  • Molly
    last year

Here they are compared to your paint color (and one new one).

edwmom thanked Molly
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

I like that last one Molly - soft purpley blue. Can you share a link?

I can tell everyone thinks I'm crazy with the colorful stuff I'm admiring above. My heart is truly fighting having to go with something muted and traditional in there. I really want the space to have a joyful vibe.

I saw this one on Etsy too...

• ffpalms
    last year

I like that last one from Molly, too. The white background would brighten up the room and look great with the white pieces. LOVE the tassel trim.

• kj s
    last year

This one is my favorite.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

Kjs

That's one of my favorites too.

It has the blue and a tan color that's similar to the brass/gold metals in the room.

I can't do a predominantly white background rug with kids and a dog in and out. 

I'm trying to avoid the thin, mass produced traditional rug styles I see everywhere online.

• kj s
    last year

I didn't notice that. You are right! I like it because it is really vibrant without seemingly to veer into the hot pink I don't love in the others.

edwmom thanked kj s
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

Boy is this harder than I thought it would be...

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Edwmom- I finally had a minute to do a Color analysis of the BM Deep Ocean. So, it turns out this color sits directly in the Blue hue family at 239 degrees on the Color Strategy Wheel. So this might be what is causing some confusion. It has an LRV (Light Reflectance Value) of 13 which means it doesn’t reflect much light at all. So teal colors might not work. Of course, I always try smallest size rug to see quality and colors in a room’s light. So you might need a more blue tone in your rug. I am going to look around. Bbl

edwmom thanked Flo Mangan
  • Molly
    last year

Decorating without using gray is very hard!! I’m running into the same issue with new tile for my bathroom. I’ve hopefully found one that is pretty, simple and not gray. 🤞🤞 I still like your original choice, is it still being considered or is it too expensive?

edwmom thanked Molly
  • Molly
    last year

Also rolling a chair over a thicker rug is going to be going to be hard unless you have a mat.

edwmom thanked Molly
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

How about this fun rug. It is out of stock but might get small size to check for colors and quality and get on their notification list to purchase when stock is in. Lots of companies hold off restocking until end of January to avoid taxes on existing inventory.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Found another one with combo blue and green tones and touches of white.

• Molly
    last year

A few more options, I’m not sure if these are too thin for you.

• ffpalms
    last year

This last one Molly posted is kinda awesome. It’s unique and has a bit of white to set off the bright colors. I think it would look great with the other choices you’ve made so far.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Found another one with combo blue and green tones and touches of white. This might be really perfect. And give a wonderful backdrop for your chair, desk and bookcases. Then you could add a sleeper in a neutral.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Don’t know why my post repeated in odd fashion.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

With this rug you can do colorful, playful artwork for the fun factor. Or do fun wallpaper on backs of bookcases. Lots of options open up.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

I just took a few more photos in different light. I'm adding one of the opposite side of the room (across from the desk). Please excuse the mess. I still have stuff in there from the previous iteration of my office that I haven't decided what to do with.

• edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

Wondering what you might think of this colorful chevron rug:

• Molly
    last year

I like the chevron.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I think it’s worth a try.

• JP L
    last year

This whole discussion is giving me flashbacks to the time when I was on a quest for a bright multicolored rug and went down an internet rabbit hole and somehow found myself completely obsessed with Missoni rugs, and tried to justify spending $$$ on one. I love all of your picks and your persistence in getting something unique in your space @edwmom! Just throwing it out there, but Annie Selke Rugs has some great options that might meet your budget (I've seen several of them in person and they are of excellent quality - I'm eyeing the summer stripe as a stair runner in my renovation!).

edwmom thanked JP L
  • RedRyder
    last year

Get the smallest size so you can see the colors and weave before making the commitment to a larger one. (Also easier to return…)

• justcallmepool
    last year

check out boutiquerugs.com

• Lizzie Borden
    last year

edwmom I like how you made your Ikea Billy Oxberg Bookcases look like built in's. I am looking to do something similar in my den.

• liasch
    last year

Love the rug in the original idea board…bit of a rugaholic here, and that’s a fantastic rug. I think it works perfectly… But the problem is you can’t find it?

• liasch
    last year

Anyway, what’s really nice about a handwoven rug from someplace like Turkey or India is you’ll get a more subtle colour pattern. The vibrant rugs are nice, but they don’t have the same subtlety as an oriental rug.

• PRO
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

Hi Liasch

The rug in my first post, with the lavender center? That one is on Etsy. I think it's still available. Maybe I should consider it again?

Home Interiors with Ease - where's the cream and feathery blue rug from? I'd like to take a closer look. Thanks!

• liasch
    last year

Yes, this one. I don’t think you need an exact match to the walls. I like the softness and subtlety of the colour range in this one and the shapes. And I agree you don’t need to put the rug under the bookcases. It will just wreck the rug.

• liasch
    last year

There’s a number of things to love about that rug… The touches of black, the white, which will pull in with the bookcase nicely, personally I think this is a winner.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Edwmom…it is sooo pretty! Sand & Stable Ryleigh

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

It comes in square too….

• edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

It's pretty. I do think I looked at that one. Unfortunately it doesn't come in 6x9. I think 8x10 will be too big in there.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

You need at least 1” of wood floor around the sides of rug..what is your room size?

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

1’ nit 1”…oops

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

1’ not 1”….

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

I see it is basically a square 10x10 right?

edwmom thanked Home Interiors with Ease
  • edwmom
    Original Author
    last year

It's 10x10 but I have a desk/rolling chair on one side and a 12 in deep wall of bookcases behind it on the other wall. I want to start the rug in front of the bookcases. So I thought 8x10 might be too big?

• JP L
    last year

Of all the suggestions, @edwmom, I like your original idea the best.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

Yes 8x10 is too big…if you have some painters tape I would tape off a 6’ square see how that fits with bookcases and desk…that would give you 2’ of wood floor all around the diameter of the room….I am thinking a square might work best..

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

Rug size will depend on location of bookcase units. Keep that in mind.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    last year

I suggest a trip to local good carpet store. You might find a remnant piece you could have cut to exact size you need and do simple serge edges.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    last year

These are both 6’ square…if bookcase takes up 12” depth than a 6’ rug will leave 1’ in front of bookcases..

• Molly
    last year

Hi edwmom, did you end up ordering any rugs?

• purpleplume
    last year

edemom,

Like you, I am a creative who also embraces highly saturated hues. I could not get anything done in a neutral room, much less be happy spending time in a sea of neutrals. My home office of similar size and configuration (its window and entry doors are in the same locations as yours) will be my last room to do, plus it needs to sleep two a few weeks a year--so I've been following your thread with great interest. I also totally understand your need for practicality with respect to little ones underfoot.

You've received some fabulous suggestions here. The generosity of Houzz forum participants always impresses me. 💕

Due to the low LRV of your paint, I would opt for light and bright with respect to your rug. Going dark may be too moody for you. Although you have other good candidates, I adore this one with the Etsy rug you first proposed. The artwork in this board is a wonderful choice for your space. For me a room is not inspiring without art that resonates with me.

Does it come in the size you've decided will work best for you? I'd like to see it on a board like this but with your wall color. Unfortunately, I can't provide that for you as it's not one of my skillsets.

You're so close to pulling this room together! I'm eager to see your final picks for rug and then lastly the sleeper chair. I'd click Buy on the rug and the artwork on this board. Once they arrive you can better decide on the sleeper chair.

• purpleplume
    last year

This board: