Software
Houzz Logo Print
earthlyepicure

Built-In vs. Drywall Closets?

3 years ago

I have a nook in the front hall where we can put a wardrobe (furniture) or a closet. We live in a cold climate, so boots and coats are a reality, and we need coat storage. Originally, I was going to have a cabinetry-based built in closet, with 2ft drawers at bottom and a rod and shelf above, with doors hiding it all. But… I am splurging more in kitchen so I want to dial back my budget in other areas - without sacrificing quality. Other alternative would be to sheetrock this space and do a standard closet with double doors.




Similarly, one bedroom upstairs (vaulted ceiling) does not have a closet space, the thought being we’d do a cabinet/built-in standalone. Would I save $$ by adding 2x4s and drywall and making more of a drywall-based closet than a cabinetry based? The closet would have to go up to 10-11 feet as it is a higher ceiling. I like the look of cabinetry, but I fear that could be more expensive and maybe unwise when I’m trying to trim the budget.

Comments (11)

  • 3 years ago

    If you are still in the framing stages, or earlier, then the standard closet will be cheaper. Add a light in the closet if possible. The built-ins do look pretty, but only you can decide if the extra cost is worth it in your house.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Built-ins are generally more efficient in the storage of clothing, depending on the design. Whether that efficiency is worth the extra expense is up to up to decide.

  • 3 years ago

    The 2x4 framing for sheet rock will take up space. Could you build it with plywood sheets, texture and paint outside to match walls then use large cabinet doors to match your cabinetry? Making it a closet that goes to the ceiling will give room for shelves over the rod and a bench with baskets under it. Put wire baskets or shoe bag on the backs of the doors.

  • 3 years ago

    A reach in drywalled closet is a lot less but very efficient and can be built upon at a later date without much cost to dismantle. I always look at the return on your investment. Are built ins a return on investment or will IKEA Pax or a drywalled closet be more in line with the homes value.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Built ins will cost you more. I would spend the $ in other areas where you need it.


    Most of the closet for the hall is going to be boots and coats. You need a drawer for neither of these.


    For the drywall closet, I would add in some drawers for gloves, scarves, (inside the closet. On a less expensive level, you can add shelves and have bins. Each person can have a bin or you can divide into categories like gloves, scarves, etc. whatever works for you.


    You can even have a closet company finish out the inside for you. (many different options at numerous price levels)


  • 3 years ago

    You can always build conventional closets and add a modular closet system later. Your inspiration pictures would be very expensive, maybe 5X a conventional closet, to start.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Is this the main entry for the family ? Usually the front hall closet is more for guests . I do not understand the drwaers for anything shoes need to air dry so do boots so some kind of slatted shelf would be more practical

  • 3 years ago

    We live in a cold climate, so boots and coats are a reality, and we need coat storage.

    As already noted that cabinetry based closets being much more expensive...

    Ideally, closets for storing adult winter gear should have extra depth. Typical closet depth is 24"; 28" is the suggested depth for coat closets.

    Sheet building material is usually 48" width so building 28" deep modular storage gets even more expensive because of the waste factor.

  • 3 years ago

    Built ins will always be more expensive. Make closets and deck them out with less expensive organizers inside. Use really nice door hardware so it still has a lux look and feel. Plus, I'd rather chuck my wet coat inside a closet where it can drip and I'm not worrying about ruining the interior finish of a nice built in.

  • 3 years ago

    Since you live in a cold climate I’m guessing it may also be wet? If that’s the case you want boot racks on the floor and lots of hanging with space so stuff dries out. I would absolutely do a regular closet with organizer in it.

  • 3 years ago

    I have a Waterhog mat on the floor of my foyer closet so you can put wet shoes or boots in the closet, on the floor. They're available from LL Bean and other sources and come in many different sizes and colors.