Software
Houzz Logo Print
amanda_elton

Between two kitchen layouts

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I got lots of great feedback on potential layouts last week. I'm still narrowing down between two general layouts. We live in a 70s split level and the current small U-shaped layout will be opened up into the breakfast room space. Things I want to include: an island for seating for my 3 young kids and a larger opening between kitchen and dining. Husband and I both very much want the sink under the window, and I want space for cabinets for our dishes and glasses on that wall, since it is above the dishwasher. We eat in the dining room about 70% of the time and on the back deck outside the current breakfast room about 30% of the time and access to both is important.

The first option puts the fridge nearer to the back door. The downside is that the fridge is 10 feet from the sink and 11.5 feet from the range. I also feel like the fridge juts out quite a bit, which is more noticeable because it partially blocks the line of sight of one of the french doors (it is not reasonably feasible to remove or add any doors or windows). The positives are that there is less of a visual and physical barrier in the walkway from the lower level to the dining room, and space for seating behind the island is less tight. There is also space for wide drawers next to the range.

The other layout puts the fridge near the dining room. We usually get our water for meals and kids often hop up from table to run to pantry or fridge for syrup or ketchup, etc, so having that close to where we eat slightly more often is a major bonus. Sink is 10 feet from fridge, but range is close to both. This option would also be cheaper since appliances will be in the same vicinity as they are currently.


OPTION 1


OPTION 2


option1.png
option2.png

Comments (9)

  • 3 years ago

    @User Here are 3D renderings. Option 1:



  • 3 years ago

    Option 2:



  • 3 years ago

    Option 2 sounds like it fits your family patterns better. It's also more attractive--the patio door is much more inviting without the fridge looming there.


    If you do decide to go with layout 1, I would reconfigure that fridge run a bit, to pull the heavy fridge further away from the patio doors. Also, whichever layout you go with, consider adding a microwave shelf beside the fridge.

    Amanda Elton thanked mcarroll16
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    @mcarroll16 - yes, there will be a microwave shelf under the upper cabinet that is next to the fridge. In option 1, I initially had the fridge and cabinet with microwave switched for the reason you mention, but I was a little concerned that the island partially blocks the path from fridge to sink and range. Something to think about a bit more though.


  • 3 years ago

    @User this is just the IKEA kitchen design software

  • 3 years ago

    I like Option 1 better because of the flow from fridge to sink. Option 2 requires either walking between range and island then through the prep area or all the way around the island.

    Amanda Elton thanked Sofia
  • 3 years ago

    @Sofia Thanks for your input. Yes, option 2 means walking past the stove, which is what I live with currently, and I admit I'm not sure why this is an issue. Is it because if someone else was helping to cook, I'd have to walk past them? I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should prioritize the triangle layout/flow that you're talking about versus the distance between the areas in terms of overall function.

  • 3 years ago

    Hi Amanda. Yes, I’m thinking of two people working in the kitchen together since is fairly often the case at our house. DH might be browning meat at the range while I’m gathering vegetables from the fridge and taking them to the sink to wash. In that type of scenario, it would just feel cramped to both be using the same space at the same time.

    I guess the distance between the areas bothers me less since I’m always trying to get more steps in anyway :) and am rarely rushing when working in the kitchen.

    Amanda Elton thanked Sofia
  • 3 years ago

    Of those two options, I like #1 better because: more counterspace next to stove, more room for stools at island, and less need to cross a major traffic route when cooking (stove, sink, and fridge are all on same side of the island). The opening to the dining room is less squeezed. Plenty of room to pass by the fridge if you're going outside through the double doors.