Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_jenkins75

My new Kitchen Aid dishwasher does not completely dry dishes.

Our new kitchen aid which was bought October of 2022 does not completely dry the dishes on the upper rack when i just use the Normal cycle. I use the rinse aid. We only have 2 racks, Model #: KDFE104KPSO. Am I doing something wrong? Our old 18 year old Amana dishwasher overflowed onto our wood floors and we want to make sure we do everything correctly with this one, so this does not happen again. Any tips or recommendations on maintaining this model or things to be aware of are appreciated.

Comments (21)

• cupofkindnessgw
    last year

How long do you leave it closed after the cycle is finished? I find if I open the dish washer as soon as the cycle is complete, everything dries faster. Otherwise, I find damp dishes here and there.One more thing, I think the inside plastic racks and latches and holders and wheels etc last longer if you don't use a hot dry cycle.

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Are you using the Heat Dry option?

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you! I had ordered Bosch but it was not scheduled to arrive for an additional 6 plus months, so I am still searching for what is that best reliable & functional dishwasher on the market. Any recommendations are appreciated.

• Elizabeth
    last year
    last modified: last year

I use an LG dishwasher with condensing drying. No heating element in this model. There is a bit of water on the overturned coffee mugs in the morning as they have a slight indentation. Nothing else is ever wet. I use the extra dry setting which occasionally turns the fan on during the night.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

KW- I have used the Heat Dry and I have used the extended heat dry option.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Cupofkindnessgw- I had been leaving the dishwasher closed overnight.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. I am going to open the dishwasher from now on once the cycle has completed.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

WDCCruise - Thank you for the Cycle Guide too. That helps also.

• doreycrouse
    last year

Have you tried using the Sanitize rinse and the Extended Heated Dry option simultaneously? I can not guarantee that it will help, but it might be worth a shot. Not sure if the Sensor/ProWash will change the drying parameters. Might be worth a shot, too.

• wdccruise
    last year

"Sanitize rinse": Uses more energy and water, and increases the cycle time up to 1-1/2 hours.

"Sensor/ProWash will change the drying parameters": Nope.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

DorayCrouse I have not tried the sanitize rinse and heated dry together.

• Sonya
    last year

After spending hours looking at videos on dishawashers trying to find one that best suits my needs, I can safely say that the reason your dishes are wet after a cycle when left in overnight, is that there is condensation build up after the cycle is complete due to the heat of the dishes, and then this condensation settles back onto your dishes. Opening the door after the cycle is complete allows the condensation to escape rather than build up on your dishes, which should solve the problem. Apparently you can also pop a dish towel into the dishwasher at the end so the condenstation goes there - it was an insta hack - no idea if it works, but might be worth trying. The important thing is to catch the cycle within 30 minutes to ensure you catch that condensation before it settles onto your dishes. Hope that helps!

• KW PNW Z8
    last year

Sonya , weirdly, what you explain makes sense! I do notice less water in the indentations in tops of cups, glasses etc if I open DW when its done & just let sit. The warmth & humidity that floats out & escapes when opening door is a lot.

• boba1
    last year

I have a Bosch 800 series model with CrystalDry. In 40 years of using dishwashers, this is the best drying modern dishwasher I've ever used. Disclosure, I also turned on the Intensive Dry option mentioned in the user manual. Sanitize rinse option on ads 21 minutes to the cycle. Adding that option with CrystalDry, this dishwasher reminds me of 1960s and 1970s KitchenAid dishwashers that were amazing drying dishwashers. Even plastics are dry.

• wdccruise
    last year

@Sonya: "the reason your dishes are wet after a cycle when left in overnight, is that there is condensation build up after the cycle is complete due to the heat of the dishes, and then this condensation settles back onto your dishes. Opening the door after the cycle is complete allows the condensation to escape..."

This is not correct. The water on the dishes is in liquid form when the door is closed. When the door is opened, the water changes state -- converts from liquid to gas i.e., evaporates -- because the warm air that surrounds the hot dishes can hold more water vapor than the cold air which enters the dishwasher when the door is opened. It's the same process that occurs when a car defroster clears a cold windshield.

"Apparently you can also pop a dish towel into the dishwasher at the end so the condenstation goes there"

Not likely.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

I had originally ordered the Bosch last April to find out it might be an additional year before the arrival. I cancelled the order last October and purchased something available now (Kitchen Aid).

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Sonya - Thank you for the recommendation.

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Boba1 Could you share specifically which model of Bosch in the 800 series with Crystal Dry that you have?

• boba1
    last year

Carolyn, the model I have is SHXM88Z75N

• Carolyn Jenkins
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you.