Software
Houzz Logo Print
asay312

tub or no tub?

3 years ago

We are remodeling our bathroom bc the tile is falling off our shower. We currently have a shower over tub, but want to remove the tub and create a large shower. Wondering if we should add a freestanding tub on the other end of the bathroom? Space is long but narrow (16 feet long but only 4.5 feet wide). Am considering a smaller Japanese soaking tub style. Issue is that we don’t want to move too much plumbing, so toilet and vanity will have to stay where they are. There is a window between vanity and shower, and a window next to toilet where tub would be placed. Will post drawing in comments. Wondering if it’s too much to add a tub to the other end, and instead just put a linen closet or something? Feels like a lot of just unused open space…

Comments (14)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    As long as there is at least one tub in another bathroom, go ahead and do a shower-only remodel. It's fine.

  • 3 years ago

    I should add I want a tub in the bathroom, am not concerned about resell (we have another tub/shower combo), but am more concerned about whether it will feel too cramped to also add in the tub. But if we don’t add it, then what would we do with the open space…per layout below, shower would be on left with vanity and toilet in middle, then bath on other end.

  • 3 years ago

    And adding question of whether a tub that small (less than 50”) really worth it.

  • 3 years ago

    I am confused. You say you won't move anything and you want a tub. What's the q.uestion? Is it whether to combine the tub with shower and have a linen closet OR to have a separate tub and no linen closet.? Well, that's your preference. I've read it's best to store linen separate from the humid bathroom, but lots of pey ignore that. You say you want a tub. If you are looking for permission....granted! You only get one life you know.

  • PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I'd install a pocket door, get rid of the left/inswing. Is this a condo by chance? I like the idea of shower on one end, tub on the other. If you are pressed for closet space, it could be prudent to nix the shower at far left of the drawing, put in a closet, and just do a tub/shower combo at far right or a walk-in shower.


    I recently completed a small bathroom remodel in my home. I chose to go with a custom tub with 18" overflow to utilize mineral bath soaks which is a major health benefit often overlooked, I believe. I think tubs will make a comeback in that regard. Check out my profile to see my Home Bathroom Remodel.

    Home Bathroom Remodel · More Info


  • 3 years ago

    I'm not a tub person, but I do see angled tubs. So if you really like a tub, just angle it.



  • 3 years ago

    If you can move the toilet and vanity to the wall with the door (maybe move the door closer to the shower) without too much trouble, you can have a longer vanity and the tub.

  • 3 years ago

    Is this your master bath? The vanity is tiny and right in front of a door. If I were you, I’d spend the money to extend the vanity and then add a private area for the toliet.

  • 3 years ago

    @asay312

    I totally agree with @saraheesmith that I would want an enclosed toilet area and larger vanity. But I am not you. However, you said you want a tub. I also would not install a tub unless it was really important to me to actually use it. I would never install a tub for looks. Free standing tubs are so hard to keep clean. It also occurred to me that you might like storage in there, though your description made it sound like you just considered storage as filler. So I guess I'm asking you to be clear about what you really want to use, and work on a plan to get it all. I would also not remodel something minimally; I would make sure it was what I wanted. I'm a Yoda fan, "Do or do not. There is no try." But you be you. Just be sure who "you" is.

  • 3 years ago

    IMO a tub <50" is not worth it. I as well like a tub in the master and when I take a bath I like to stretch out. A japanese soaking tub would not do it for me.


  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Get the toilet moved

    Skip the tub

    Get a decent vanity



  • 3 years ago

    I don’t know your aesthetic, but a beautiful wooden Japanese soaking tub could look really beautiful tucked into the end of your bathroom. Petite, high sides. It could drive the entire design of the bathroom.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    @JAN MOYER I love that idea. It all depends on the scope of the remodel.

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    If you have never tried a japanese soaking tub please do so. I tried one before deciding and found getting in or out very unsettling. I was only in my 40s at the time.