Software
Houzz Logo Print
graceanderson

Need colour advice !

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This living room is 13x17' with doors opening to (1) bedroom (2) bath (3) kitchen and (4) outdoors. There are two sets of double windows. I painted the walls a mustard colour, thinking best with the old bold painted cupboard. Loveseat is an oxblood brown, one upholstered chair in blue. Fireplace is big stones -- dark/bits of red. The room is starting to feel chaotic. Hoping a rug will pull everything together but unsure of colour -- blue? House is tiny, built 1917.



Comments (23)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    your yellow wall color and purple/gray slate colors of the rock are opposing each other.

    the latter, along w/the chair, is a very cool tone w/blues and purples.

    the wall color and floor is warm toned w/yellows/beige.

    either paint the stone or repaint the wall. no rug is going to pull it together! You have so many colors in there, I'd prob go super neutral on the wall. see some of the lavender/white colors

    see? much better (replace or cover blue chair








    any of these work w/the fireplace stone








    graceanderson thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    Loveseat and cupboard are now sitting at right angles. Cupboard is old and that's where I took the mustard scheme from.

  • 3 years ago

    I edited my first comment w/more pictures. take another look

    graceanderson thanked Beth H. :
  • 3 years ago

    Thanks, the stone will not be painted but I could repaint the walls. Chair & loveseat have to stay......thanks for your help, I'm lost in a sea of blue&yellow.



  • 3 years ago

    You just need a rug. A rug that ties in the wall and seating colors. The stone fireplace is fine and stands on its own; you don’t have to try and match the stone in the rug. Connecting the wall and seating colors ties it all together.


    This is one rug idea for you. Best Wishes.











    https://incrediblerugsanddecor.com/products/karastan-adalia-amasya-blue-area-rug?variant=40180697235656

    graceanderson thanked freedomplace1
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    I should’ve asked first — are you in the UK?

    Something about your room reminds me of these I’ve had saved:





    So much character. Wonderful colors.

    graceanderson thanked Jilly
  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    Cupboard is a winner! Looks like tramp art style and if I am correct is is quite valuable.

    Is there any way that you can position the leather sofa and it together?

    .





    This is a Mill Creek fabric called Crazy Ole Bird. As an accent fabric, it will work well is @Jilly's rug, pix #2.


    Not lovin' the black beams and crown molding...molding is molding, beams are beams. Paint the beams the wall color and paint the molding the same white as the floor molding.



  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    The turquoise tote bin is throwing me off, does it need to be there? I do like the colour of your walls, and like Jilly's suggestions. Can you post pictures without the turquoise bin?


  • 3 years ago

    Jilly - I'm in Canada, but would you believe that Tolstoy room was my starting point?

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    How funny! Love her colorful, maximalist style and amazing talent at mixing patterns.

    https://www.houseandgarden.co.uk/gallery/alexandra-tolstoy-house

  • 3 years ago

    @freedomplace1 nailed it with their rug suggestion. Way to go. Just throw a soft ivory color lumbar pillow on the blue chair to mellow it out a bit.

    graceanderson thanked Kendrah
  • PRO
    3 years ago

    White trim and wainscoting. Navy walls.





    graceanderson thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 3 years ago

    I like Jillys rug suggestion and the fabulous fabric suggestion too. I also love the Tolstoy rooms. The rug will start pulling your current choices together. Good luck!

    graceanderson thanked judeslou
  • 3 years ago

    this one from beverly would be nice.



    and the white wainscot helps to break up the dark blue. try and aim for a slate blue as opposed to a regular blue

  • 3 years ago

    I rarely disagree with Beth, but, in this case, the yellow walls are perfect. In fact, I love all the colours. Pair them with the Oushak rug that Jilly posted (the gold one) and a larger pillow on the blue chair and you have a cosy living room.

  • 3 years ago

    Would take the turquoise tub away and put a footstool that opens or a woven basket to hold reading material.

  • 3 years ago

    Would actually paint the ceiling in the yellow and change the black trim and beams to a creamy white.

  • 3 years ago

    Great suggestions so far. Only thing I would add is you need lamps! Find some with vintage character and pretty patterned shades like in Jilly’s pics.

  • 3 years ago

    Beverly nailed it with slate blue walls and white trim. Then a rug.

  • 3 years ago

    The Slate color suggested is nice but will you like it next to the adjoining room which looks to be a dark green? Sometimes one thing leads to another and you may want to paint that one if you don't like the way it looks next to the living room. I prefer the first suggestions Beth made with the more muted colors. I don't think you should break up the wall with wainscoting either.

  • 3 years ago

    Could you take another photo of the gorgeous cupboard that is your inspiration piece. WOW! The Tolstoy image that has been posted shows a VIBRANT rug. That is the direction that you need to go, I think, with that phenomenal piece. Your chair and your sofa will be fine, but the rug will pull it all together for you. Do weed out extraneous pieces for the time being. You need the rug as your foundation. That fabulous cupboard. The sofa and chair. And maybe the wooden chair. Build from there.

  • PRO
    3 years ago