Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trkkoa

crazy idea to repurpose entertainment center in office?

Nancy
11 months ago

I really like this piece of furniture but our new house doesn’t have a place for it to be used as an entertainment center (like it is now).

I was browsing home office ideas here on Houzz and ran across this idea picture and thought, hmmm, I wonder if I could use the entertainment center in my office née guest room. I have a small desk and credenza I’m not married to.

We’re planning on using a Murphy bed in the room somewhere also, but haven’t even shopped for that yet.

Am I crazy? What do you think?

Dimensions of the unit are 110” wide by 75” tall. The piece the tv is sitting on is free standing. The opening with it removed is 62” wide by 60.5” tall.

One challenge is the new house has 10’ ceilings.

Thanks,
Nancy

Comments (16)

• auntthelma
    11 months ago

Why not? It looks like a great storage space for checkbook, files, books, even the printer. Then you can have a sleek desk with only a surface for the laptop like in the fancy show offices!

• auntthelma
    11 months ago

Looks to me like this piece would work in a dining room too.

• Lyn Nielson
    11 months ago

I would paint it out the same color as the walls, just a different sheen, satin.

• chispa
    11 months ago

It would work great in an office too. Maybe get a Samsung The Frame TV to fit in the recess and you can use as a guest TV and to display art when you are working. Your current TV is too big for that unit.

Murphy beds aren't that great to sleep in and those units also take up quite a bit of wall space. I would rather have a sofa bed. Something I could sit in every day and use as a guest bed once in a while.

• ffpalms
    11 months ago

I think that piece would be very useful for office storage. The large open section behind the TV could be corkboard, or perhaps large art since the room is also a guest room. I like Lyn Nielson’s idea to paint it the same color as the wall, or even painting the wall to match the wood. This is a Benjamin Moore color.

• EastCoast Designz
    11 months ago

the murphy bed and media console will look too cluttered in the same room and you will have a hard time matching the wood color. Instead of the murphy bed I suggest a sleeper sofa.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 months ago

We actually have sleeper sofa so that might fit

• EastCoast Designz
    11 months ago

What color is your desk and couch?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    11 months ago
    last modified: 11 months ago

I would not do the murphy bed and that in the same sapce but I agree would work for office stuff and better than going to the dump.

• Kendrah
    11 months ago

Of course this could be used in your office/guest room. What needs to you have for storage in your office? This unit doesn't have a lot of closed storages. It seems more of a display shelving unit - especially with the center removed. That might not be a bad thing. However, it is a large piece of furniture (what is the depth?) in the room and I'd think about what you need to have in an office and how it will all fit. Are you thinking you would remove the center piece and put a desk in there to sit at?

I agree that murphy beds are not the greatest. A good quality sofa bed is much better.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    11 months ago

In rethinking this, we decided this unit might go better in my husband’s home office. He has a need for display space and printer. He works from home. He also has a light colored wood L-shaped desk. We could also paint this if we decided the woods don’t go together.

I’m curious why folks don’t like Murphy beds. Every guest we’ve ever had dislikes sleeper sofas due to the crummy mattress and support bar in the middle. Murphy beds have a real mattress. What am I missing?

• auntthelma
    11 months ago

I love murphy beds.

• aelem
    11 months ago

Nancy - Sleeper sofas have improved significantly.

• chispa
    11 months ago

Murphy beds might have a real mattress, but it is sitting on a hard surface with no springs or any "give". I sleep on one quite regularly when visiting my parents, as that is what they now have in the guest bedroom of their new much smaller house. They paid for the better mattress. I wake up feeling like someone beat me up! An air mattress would have been better!

• PRO
    Amy Peltier Interior Design & Home
    9 months ago

It seems like this entertainment center could work well in your office, however if you're adding a murphy bed as well you want to make sure it will match the color of the murphy bed and won't look too cluttered. Below are just a few images of designs we did for clients that we think might help you move forward from your dilemma.

California Ranch Transformation · More Info

Casual Classic Remodel: Home Office · More Info

Charming Cottage · More Info