Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keelyline

Climbing rose, used as spiller over retaining wall. Recs needed

Keely Line z8a north texas
10 months ago
last modified: 10 months ago

Hello. This is the spot. Looking to replace the carolina jessamine, bushy vine. Apparently its poisonous to honey bees :( So I am looking for climbing roses to take their place.

Would love David austin, or something similar (English style?)

White, dark pink, or yellow bloom

something that you think will spill over this retaining wall, its about 8in on the soil side. I can train them down too, but something with weaker/thinner stems probably

hoping for something with some disease and pest resistance, but I know the game

Scent isn't terribly important to me, but it woudl be bonus

I was looking at claire austin, but it seems that the blooms shatter quickly, BUMMER. Anything coming to mind?

Comments (20)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

" Apparently its poisonous to honey bees :( "

Not sure where you read that but it is not true........honey bees are a major pollinator of this vine.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 months ago

In a search of several sites, I did find statements/studies indicating toxicity for honey bees. Of course, they are not native bees here in the US and it appears that native bees are less likely to be negatively affected by by the native Carolina Jessamine.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

There has been no scientific evidence established that this is true. All reports are purely anecdotal. Even bee keeping websites have mixed opinions.

• Keely Line z8a north texas
    Original Author
    10 months ago

I also want to replace it because it really wants to grow up. not down. I didn't plant it, and I'm not in love with it. So do you have any recs?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 months ago

" it really wants to grow up. not down "

So will any climbing rose or other vine. It's called phototropism and is a completely natural plant response.

Original Author
    10 months ago

Do you have any general recs for spiller perennial?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    10 months ago

Whatever you decieede, knowing where in the world you live is the first necessary bit of information. and the zone US. You can add this bit to you name for ease!

There area huge number of choices. Would thorniness be much of an issue as this appears to be a walkway. S>?S weet Chariot, Young Lycidus and Seafoam spring to immeidiate mineddCornelia , but Maggie, and a few others would work depending on your location.Christian J, Hermosa and Vineyard Song are also good Hangers! Perennial Blue and Purple Skyliner may get too large depending...BreeBrise Parfum is wonderful with a wafting scent. Many of htese are singles or doubles.

Original Author
    10 months ago

Oh shoot for some reason I thought my zone was attached to my name. 8a north texas. Thorniness not a issue, the walkway is on the other side

10 months ago

I have many roses that will not climb unless tied in initially. Sorry for the Houzz typos etc. Check out my recommendations and see what strikes your fancey on HMF Be sure to look at the pics and comments. Somethink like Tess and Lady of Shoalotta Shalott which are David Austin Bush roses that can also be grown as small climbers are also possibilities.

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • dianela7analabama
    10 months ago

I would recommend Teasing Georgia.

Good with blackspot no spray also

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked dianela7analabama
    Original Author
    10 months ago

Thank you dianela and vaporvac for truly helpful answers to my question. i figured that most climbing roses needed some sort of support so without support they could spill. i appreciate your time.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    10 months ago

I vote for Bishop’s Castle!

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    10 months ago

If you want a very fragrant, excellent repeating, black spot free cascader, take a look at Cape Diamond. It can get 12' across.

Moses

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked Moses, Pittsburgh, W. PA., zone 5/6, USA
    10 months ago

I agree with Red Cascade and Teasing Georgia, also!!! Erasmus, my Peggy Martin is gigantic! Is yours also huge. OP, how long is this wall? Loving PT and BC which Ive never seen in person. @Moses, now I need to check out Cape diamond. Why have I never heard of this one before or noticed that you recommend it. Im still hoping to get Cl. EB LeGrice that you loved.

OP, Hybrid Musks are good bets. Two of those that do very well for me are Greetings and Marjorie Fair. PinkBoth Pink and Red Drift will both drape. You have a lot of beauties here. I think this category is a favourite. Ill try to link to HMF fo my suggestions.:))

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    10 months ago

You would not be happy with Sea Foam, as it is the polar opposite of the DA you seek.

https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.5664

Though it would be very happy in that spot, and do what you need, without fuss.

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    10 months ago

Another vote for Young Lycidis. The blooms and the color are perfection.

The Fawn is a great choice as it is always in bloom and it spreads and drapes.

Keely Line z8a north texas thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • erasmus_gw
    10 months ago

On second thought I think Paul Transon would be too big for that spot and that wall. I am always having to trim back the laterals that drape all over the grass. Did you say the soil area is 8" wide? That is pretty darned narrow. I like the Carolina Jessamine. Some evergreens are drapey I think like Blue Rug.

I don't grow them but aren't Drift roses low spreaders? I think they're healthy.

Original Author
    10 months ago

The height of the wall is about 2.5 ft at its shortest in front, and about 5 ft st the tallest. the soil side of the wall is 8in tall (where they would be planted)