Software
Houzz Logo Print
sammie17

not enough kitchen cabinet storage

3 years ago

I do not have enough storage in my kitchen and want to either install window bench cabinet or base cabinets on one wall in dining room, Which way should I go.




Comments (11)

  • 3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

    You will get better suggestions if you include a simple floor plan with dimensions.

    Just from the photo I would say you do not have the space to add fixed cabinet storage.

    sammie17 thanked chispa
  • 3 years ago

    Oh man you sure don't. Ouch. You have 3 different eating areas? I see 2 different dining rooms and then seats at the island. I'd think you could steal some space from somewhere.

    Would I be correct in guessing that this house had some walls removed?

  • 3 years ago

    Yes dining room was a bedroom

  • 3 years ago

    Consider getting an armoire for your dining room to provide extra storage. When I had my galley style kitchen renovated a few years ago; even though I had more cabinet storage added, I needed room for my small kitchen appliances. My kitchen is next to my living room. I have a large cherry wood armoire in my living room that now houses most of my small kitchen appliances. After I am done using a kitchen appliance, back it goes into the armoire, leaving more counterspace. Armoires are wonderful; when you open up the 2 doors, you can see all the contents at once!

    sammie17 thanked kculbers
  • 3 years ago

    Skooch area rug and table closer to kitchen a bit. place wood cabinet that you already have in mid point of far gray wall . then coordinate a corner cabinet both on left and right of cabinet….. glass doors /lit interior/some decorative feet. Your decor is traditional …this will be really nice. corners are what you have but dimensions should be shown.

    sammie17 thanked herbflavor
  • 3 years ago

    all great suggestions, maybe I will combine them all and have one solution, cabinets at back wall and move table and rug forward. I have baking pans, baking items, storage plastic, large cooking pots that are only used for large family dinners, etc., so its of lots of items I don't use daily.

    dimensions are dining room 13' 8" x 13' 2" and the area by kitchen table is 13'x 10'2"

  • 15 hours ago

    Both directions can work, but the deciding question is usually: do you need more storage volume, or more storage that's actually usable? Window bench seating looks great but often ends up shallow and hard to access (moving cushions, leaning over the seat back), so it tends to work best for occasional-use items like linens rather than daily kitchen tools. Base cabinets along that wall will almost always give more truly functional storage per linear foot, especially with pull-out drawers instead of fixed shelves behind doors — you can see and reach everything at once, which matters more day-to-day than raw cubic footage. If you want to keep some seating so the room doesn't feel like a wall of cabinetry, a hybrid often works: base cabinets on one run for daily-use storage, bench with lift-top storage on the other for occasional stuff. Worth doing before committing to either: measure what's actually overflowing your current cabinets right now (pots/pans, small appliances, pantry goods, dishware?) — that tells you whether you need deep storage or narrow-and-tall storage, which changes the whole layout decision.

  • 9 hours ago

    Ali Alsamty , 3 year old post...........

    sammie17 thanked millworkman
  • PRO
    8 hours ago
    last modified: 8 hours ago

    Too many random items in this room. Items needs to play well together. Yours don't.


    Here are some options for your room.

    It might have been better to select a china cabinet with enough storage to begin with. Adding more an more items to your dining room will make your room take on the appearance of a furniture warehouse. Don't add a needless bench under the windows or on the back wall.


    There are tall cabinets with flat sides that allow you to place two or three cabinets ganged together.


    Selecting a modular, much longer sideboard would be another option that would have solved your problem.








  • 7 hours ago

    Thank you Beverly, I agree on longer sideboard, this dining room set was from our previous home which had a very large dining room. Love your ideas, been in this house 3 years and still not happy with lack of storage.