Software
Houzz Logo Print
ilse_braun

dining room/living room rugs

3 years ago

We have a an open area that is a combined dining room and living room and trying to figure out the rugs to ground each space. Here is our current dining room area -
And I will take a picture of the living room area tomorrow. Need some help with 2 rugs that coordinate/ or do I match?

Comments (16)

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I am not a huge fan of rugs in DRs but the rule is the rug needs to be 3' larger that the table all around so do you have space to do that without creating a tripping hazard in that door way on the right.? You can do matching rugs it sometimes just makes life simple but I will wait to suggest anyhing until I see the LR. I sure hope there is art coming for that large barewall and I might suggest one large piece there.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Make sure you select a matching chandelier to complement your sconces.


    A series of framed images on the wall could add a nice texture to the room.







  • 3 years ago

    I would not use a rug in the dining room.

    even though the rooms are joined, no need to decorate them the same.

  • 3 years ago

    Visit local rug dealers and look for wool hand-knotted rugs that complement each other.

    I've had wool rugs under dining tables for many years with no issues, but I have also always had a breakfast/casual table for kids and everyday meals in the kitchen area.

  • 3 years ago

    In your large dining room, and with the style it is, I’d absolutely want a rug to anchor the table and bring softness in. It looks unfinished without one.

    I wouldn’t match, no. Two coordinating rugs would look much more interesting.

  • 3 years ago

    @beverlyFLADeziner - thanks for your help….
    We purchased this chandelier- do you think it complements?

    I agree with the art, and like the plant.

    Also, here is a pic of the other side-

  • 3 years ago

    Your rooms have a very clean Japandi style to my eye. Simple, flat weave rugs would keep that fresh and open look.




  • 3 years ago

    I'd definitely skip a rug in the DR and put wonderful art on the walls. I'd also pull all the decor you have in corners away from the walls and just a bit further in the room.


    If you desperately want a rug in the DR don't make it jute or anything crumbs and liquid can sink into.

  • 3 years ago

    We are definitely NOT done with the living room or dining room…. And I agree with pulling things a bit further away from the wall… going to try this tomorrow in the living room area and put a rug that we previously had down and see how it works.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I would have selected a chandelier that has shades like the sconces.

    I don't like the quality of light from a bare bub. You have to dim it to eliminate the glare and then there is never enough light for the room.



  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I agree with Beverly and would add avoid hanging any chandelier too high. It’s a common mistake. Bottom of chandelier should be around 30-33” above your table. It’s a pretty space but has some challenges due to walkways and openings. If you keep that plant in the dining room get an elevated pot for it. Needs to be much higher. A taller plant would be the ticket. Wait til you get window treatments done because you might not have enough room for anything in that corner. But, a large plant on end of sofa between living and dining room could benefit both rooms.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Rug size for lobbing room should be big enough that front legs of furniture sits on rug. Looks like you need 9’ x 12’ rug for living area. How wide is this space?

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    Auto correct is so bad here. Sorry. Living room. Not lobbying.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Here are two separate designs that we have recently done for our clients. See the rugs used in the living room and dining room areas.

    European Country Flair · More Info


    European Country Flair · More Info


    Bright Transitional Refresh · More Info


    Bright Transitional Refresh · More Info


  • PRO
    2 years ago

    It doesn't look like you have much artwork or an accent color. We see some pillows on the sofa but are they teal? If so maybe look at a rug with some teal for the living room area. It seems you could do anything in the dining room area. Below are some ideas that might just inspire you more.

    Modern Condo Reimagined · More Info


    Florida Coastal Retreat · More Info


    Classic and Artistic Home · More Info


Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio