Software
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_hershock

HELP soapstone backsplash is not the right size for the window above

3 years ago

My contractor was not here when they did the template for the counters. He was supposed to be. When they installed the soapstone countertop and a small backsplash behind the sink, they said they could not glue it in place because it abutted the window with no room for trim. I really like the size of the backsplash and would rather not have it cut down. Does anyone have any ideas for what kind of molding I should/can put around the window to correct the issue without having to resize the soapstone backsplash? Thanks, Lisa

Comments (14)

  • 3 years ago

    What trim are you using around other windows in the area? The trim ought to be the same. I find the top of your backsplash being so much narrower than the bottom of the window to be odd looking. Taking an inch or two off the top of the backsplash might not hurt a bit. See if you can get your hands on some of the planned window trim and try it out.

  • 3 years ago

    Originally, it was going to be the same as the traditional 3” molding. The house was built in 1989. But I gave the stone company measurements over the phone and I should have made the soapstone the same width as the window plus the trim. I did it wrong. My contractor said he didn’t need to be here when they made the template. But he should have had the window casing done before they came. He is way behind on my job. Because of that this is now done wrong.

  • 3 years ago

    Does the narrow top of the soapstone align with the width of the sink? Looks like it. Maybe a good carpenter with a router could help you with the window sill.

  • 3 years ago

    No, here is the drawing

    blob:null/76633e84-f739-4397-9bdd-2f369db05444

  • 3 years ago

    Hold on. I have to repost the pic.

  • 3 years ago

    The sink is 23” wide and the soapstone is 36” wide at the bottom and 23” at the top.

  • 3 years ago

    Is there any remnant left of the soapstone if a new piece needs to be cut for backsplash? I'm wondering if contractor were to finsh the window trim first, could they use soapstone for a window sill and then cut a new piece for backsplash so it ties in with window sill and trim?

  • 3 years ago

    I think you can work with the height as you don't have to have trim all the way around, but I don't think the top of the backsplash is wide enough to be even with width of window and trim.

  • 3 years ago

    I would trim the window and cut the soapstone down--it's relatively straightforward to do and you're fortunate to have the problem of a piece that's too big vs. too small. I also like the idea of a soapstone sill in place of the trim along the bottom--you might be able to do that with minimal resizing of the backsplash piece.

  • 3 years ago

    Jack that was how it was supposed to have been done. The problem is that they charged $350 for that piece of backsplash. So, I wanted to try to fix it so we didn’t have to buy and have them fabricate another piece.

  • 3 years ago

    My contractor should have had that done first. He is a month behind schedule.

  • 3 years ago

    Maybe ask your contractor to meet you and take a look at the issue caused by him not having completed his part before counter and backsplash install. Maybe he’ll meet you half way or more on a solution that you need.

  • 3 years ago

    He still has about 2 weeks of work left to do so I will see him tomorrow. I am a Realtor and he was my home inspector for 16 years. I know him well and I don’t feel comfortable asking him to pay toward it. So we will see. I just want it to look right. Thanks for your input.

  • PRO
    3 years ago