Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
markay_6746

Boldly colored roses.

I am becoming increasingly infatuated with roses in very bold shades and more and more of them are making there way into my garden. This year, two of my favorites are Boscobel and Foxy Lady. I love the ruffles of the Jalbert roses.

Foxy Lady…

Please share some of your favorite boldly colored roses!

Comments (44)

• Markay MD-Zone 7A (8A on new map)
    Original Author
    8 months ago

Oh wow erasmus! Some real beauties there! I esecially love your pics of Freisinger Morgenrote and Rhapsody in Blue, but all of them… just Wow!

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Thank you, Markay. I think I remember you have some wonderful, bright perennials and annuals in your garden along with your roses. Feiylo has some great bright combinations too.

I think Rhapsody in Blue was used in the breeding of Blue For You, which I like very much but I think Rhapsody has more of a saturated deep color. It reminds me of International Herald Tribune. ...Oh I looked it up..Int. H T is one of its parents, and Summer Wine.

I love just about all colors...even muted, muddy, somber colors can look good if in the right combinations. I like bright colors next to each other. Right now I have some bright impatiens in a joyful clash...red, salmon, lavender, bright pink and bubblegum pink and white. Also some orange zinnias beside them and chartreuse sweet potato vine and a butterfly weed with tiny orange and yellow clusters of blooms. I like a cool , soothing color palette for some areas but not all.

Here are a few more brights...funny how many of them are orange.

Portlandia

Well Being ...sometimes it's paler

Carnival Glass, mini

Rotes Meer

Polonaise

Looking forward to John Cabot.

Chartreuse de Parme

• stillanntn6b
    8 months ago

Sometimes, the colors that look ok in a big botanic garden will look WOW! against certain paint colors.

In NOLA, my massive front porch was painted a deep graygreen. I had moved "First Prize" from my garden in Houston to the very limited space in NOLA and somehow the background made First Prize look better and more intense than it ever did in Houston against a weathered wooden fence.

It looked so good that passers-by started helping themselves to the blooms and basicly destroyed the bush trying to break the bloom bearing stems off.

Which pretty much destroyed my ideal of a mass of First Prizes there.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    8 months ago

Our fellow men, Ann. Ouch.

I don't particularly aim for bold colors, but a few roses do stick out. Rosa foetida has the most saturated yellow I can conceive of, and is a gratifying sight when in bloom. It has fragrant buds and scented--I don't think it's a bad odor: kind of a boiled linseed oil scent--flowers and bright green foliage, and is just generally a cheering rose. Another one that runs to gaud is 'Clementina Carbonieri' (of commerce), which has, as I've said before, flowers like a David Austin rose with the colors amped up to fluorescent. Amazing hues. Also 'Comtesse du Cayla' is pretty impressive, an intense luminous pink-coral bloom. It's short-lived, but worth it; fragrant, too. Both these last two burn quickly in the sun, but when they're good, they're really good. All these are healthy vigorous roses.

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Melissa - I have wanted Clementina for a long time...If i remember right , Jeri said CC is an incurable mildew factory so I was discouraged. Instead of a new Austin maybe I'll get Clementina based on what you have said.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

I love those hot vibrant colors

Our Anniversary

Easy Does It

Gypsy Soil

celestial Night

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

All Gorgeous !

The only richly colored roses I have that could be considered bold are Rouge Royale and La Reine . Sometimes La Reine glows fluorescent pink but not consistently. The big bold Zinnias outdid my roses this year. Abe Darby isn't used to playing second fiddle.

• Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
    8 months ago

Berrypie, what's your zone? 'Clementina Carbonieri' is a warm climate rose, and ours sits on a well-drained south-facing escarpment to boot. Temperatures here don't drop below 20F all that often; the coldest I've seen it get in twenty years was a little below 10F, and that was just the one time (Clementina took no damage). I'm surprised Jeri says it mildews badly: mine is quite free of mildew, a disease that strikes half the roses in the garden in the summer, so it's not that we don't have the problem. Mine has very clean foliage.

If it should be otherwise suitable for you, remember the tendency to burn, and also that it can get to be pretty large. On HMF they describe CC as a smallish plant, but also note that the rose currently in commerce may actually be 'Souvenir de Gilbert Nabonnand'. Photos of roses on both entries look like my rose, but the description of SdGN describes it as getting up to nine or ten feet, which is like my rose. It would be smaller in less favorable circumstances, of course.

I like zinnias. There's a handsome patch of them in somebody's front bed that I admire as I whizz past on the way to town.

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Sometimes people take a strong dislike to certain flowers and colors. It's good everyone has different tastes. I knew someone who hated daisies. When I look out over my garden I sometimes think I have too many pale roses. Need more color.

Clementina died of cold here in zone 7a, but we sometimes get down to 4 degrees. Got down to about that last winter but my new Clementina got through it ok in a gallon pot. I guess I put it under my house a few times when it got too cold. I used to have a picture of it which looked garish..I don't know why I must have deleted it. For me it has never been more than a small plant. I liked it for the colors, bloom form, and fragrance.

Augusta Louise can be pretty bright. Most of the time it's more pastel where I have it planted ( part shade), but when it's cool out the colors can be a bit brighter. I like the pastel version better.

Original Author
    8 months ago

Alfred Sisley puts out a showy bloom too although I haven’t seen many this year after moving it this spring. I have Alfred Sisley planted near South Africa, Tequila Supreme, Fiesta Veranda which should all be very bold once they mature a bit.

Alfred Sisley

I also like Crazy Love even though the color fades out pretty quickly

Lady of Shalott also starts out very bold!

Deelish is a hot mess please excuse the bare canes, but I love the color. I would love to try Fiji too.

Kristine, I love your Our Anniversary. That’s a rose I have coveted for some time. My mother has Easy Does it but things it is too orange so she said i can have hers.

Melissa, Comtesse du Cayla did not survive here, but I got to enjoy a few stunning blooms before she gave up the ghost.

So many gorgeous roses in the photos you’ve all shared. Erasmus, you do remember correctly that I also have a fondness for bright annuals and perennials, but other parts of the garden have their share of dreamy pastels.

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Yeah, Markay...it's not either / or. If you like bright it doesn't mean you don't like pastels.

I saw a picture of one of those famous English gardens that has a lot of pinks and lavender and in one picture there was a scarlet rose. I think they put it in an area separate from the cool colors.

Your Alfred Sisley is pretty...I like the bold version but also the last couple of years my plant has had more pink in it like so:

Love Lady of Shalott.

Original Author
    8 months ago

Oh wow! I love that version of Alfred Sisley too!

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

Thanks for more information Melissa, that's surprising to hear Souv de Gilbert Nabonnand is in circulation. I am supposedly 6b according to the Zone maps yet winter temperatures are unpredictable in N Idaho. So far I've never lost a rose from freezing to death, but it's bound to happen sometime. Last year Eden did the worst ; in Fall I covered all the others with a nice mound of earth at the base, and ran out of dirt for Eden last. It's dieback had to be cut down to the ground, admirably it sprung back.

I don't know where to buy Clementina, I've found that sources for a good hardy plant can make a world of difference.

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

I have only ordered one rose from Rogue Valley, Grandma's Pink, which couldn''t be found anywhere else. It was the correct rose and it was a good looking plant. I imagine if you got the wrong rose they'd make a correction and send you a replacement.

• berrypiez6b
    8 months ago

That's good to hear about RVR erasmus,

awhile back someone was mentioning what a great rose Grandma's Pink is - it might have been Paul Barden. I don't have any of Ralph Moore's roses, there sure are some wonderful ones.

• susan9santabarbara
    8 months ago

It was hard to choose!

Ann Vanderlove

Broceliande (South Africa in background)

Ebb Tide and the darker version of Orange Splash

Jean Giono (love the veining and it glows from a distance)

Lavaglut and Trumpeter (maybe my favorite combo ever)

Sedona

8 months ago

Markay, I have more puctures of Our Anniversary than any other. I alwsys joke that I will only grow Bolero and Our Anniversary. OA has a wonderful fragrance is always in bloom, super healthy and its a shortie. I love tjose Jalberts.

Susan, geeze, talk anout vibrant. What glorious colors.

• Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    8 months ago

Susan, oh, your Jean Giono looks gorgeous! Its veining makes it really unique.

Bold colors are my favorite. Here are some pics took today.

Sweet Mademoiselle

Candy Cane Cocktail

Dee-Lish

Watercolors Home Run

Lady of Shalott

And some pics took in June.

Young Lycidas

South Africa

Ebb Tide

Hot Cocoa

Lynnie

Rosarium Uetersen

Tropicana

Linda Campbell

Sweet Chariot

Plum Perfect in the front and Rhapsody in Blue in the back.

Country Dancer

Eugene de Beauharnais

Garden Delight

Ingrid Bergman

Westerland

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Those are so vivid, Feiy. I like your companion plant artistry too. Those are some amazing plants...Young Lycidas, Lynnie, Sweet Chariot, S. Africa, and Garden Delight..I have never seen Garden Delight . Will look it up.

Susan, those are great pics. I especially like Jean Giono. I have Brocelliande also, and think it's especially healthy and vigorous.

Aloha Hawaii

Edisto

Sunnyside Up - great repeater

Denver's Dream mini

Marjorie Fair

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Antique 89

Baronne Edmund de Rothschild

Belle de Crecy

General Jacqueminot

Can't overlook Flamenco Rosita

Immortal Juno

Rosette Delizzy

Gilda

Indigo

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    8 months ago

Wow erasmus, these are beautiful.

Thank you everyone for posting these great photos.

• Ken Wilkinson
    8 months ago

I've got a few scattered around the garden.

It is impossible to miss Munstead Wood.

Chrisma is a great floribunda for in your face color.

Ring of Fire.

The miniflora, Mango blush.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    8 months ago

I am really enjoying this thread, seems we don’t celebrate the bold colors often enough.

Double Delight

Fragrant Cloud

Novelty

Acapella

Chris Evert

Buxom Beauty

Granada

Parfum Royale

Neil Diamond

Golden Opportunity

Lavender Crush

Dark Knight

Cosmic Clouds

Veterans Honor

• SylviaWW 9a Hot dry SoCal
    8 months ago

Raspberry Cream Twirl!

Dream Come True. This one glows.

loving everyone’s bright stars!

• susan9santabarbara
    8 months ago

Okay, I'll add a couple more:

Burst of Joy (pic doesn't show the lovely yellow back of the petals)

Veldfire

Marina

Estelle... sorry about the background :-D

Can you tell I have a thing for orange roses?

• KJ (9B, San Jose CA)
    8 months ago

I love bold colors!!! Below is Crazy Love.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    8 months ago

I have a few bold colored roses.

Sheila’s perfume

Purple Prince

Raspberry Cream Twirl

Lady in Red

Happy Gardening🌹

8 months ago

Palantina Traviata

Celestine

Vinca

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    8 months ago

Kristine, your Palantina Traviata looks like my Lady in Red🌹. Is the salvia ’mystic spire blue’? Very pretty but mine grows huge this year and completely covers the poor Firefighter.

8 months ago

Forever, I believe that it is Mystic Spires and I have some in a different bed that has gotten pretty big. I have a Greggi that needs to go that even cut back is taking over the bed. Once that is gone I will have room for a front row joe shortie or maybe my mystery daylily.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    8 months ago

Kristine, yeah Mystic Spires Blue is such a beautiful plant itself and its color blends great with a lot of roses. Pity it wants to grow to a monster. Next year I will move it to another location.

Below Sheila’s Perfume is overwhelmed by one Mystic Spires Blue plant which is twice as tall and 3 times as wide

• rosecanadian
    8 months ago

INCREDIBLE pictures, everyone!!! What a delight to see all of these dazzling roses!!

Original Author
    8 months ago

Wowza!!! So many vibrant beauties!!

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

How about this Stephen’s Big Purple, i got this plant free.

Lady Emma Hamilton

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    8 months ago

Another vote for Mystic Spires Blue!

with Munstead

with Dark Desire

with Plum Perfect

with Distant Drums

with Bolero

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    8 months ago

With Spirit of Freedom

with Sweet Delight

and OT for Mystic Spires but here is Mme Isaac Periere with Elsa Spath clem for a bold combo!

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Nice combinations, Sunny Mississippi. Talk about celebrating bold colors...I think life celebrates itself with colors.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    8 months ago

Sunny, great combinations and pleasure to look🌹

• Sunny Mississippi 8a
    8 months ago

Thank you erasmus and newbie! Going through the garden I realized I'm in desperate need of an orangey-yellow rose. Are there any out there with insane health and fragrance??

• SoCalGardenNut
    8 months ago

My orange and yellow, roses roses, Golden Celebration is fragrant.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    8 months ago

I love this thread! So many gorgeous roses! I love everyone's photos and I have many of these myself. One I'll add that has been a complete star it's first year is Roberto Alagna. Healthy, floriferous, fragrant, long lasting.

This time of year, with my dahlias blooming I find that I gravitate even more towards the bold colors when it comes to making arrangements for inside.

• erasmus_gw
    8 months ago

Wow, you sure have the talent for arrangements, librarian.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    8 months ago

Aw, thanks, Erasmus. I like how Roberto Alagna can go bold and bright or how he can blend nicely with a more pastel palette in arrangements.