Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sabine_h

is this chandelier too big?

S Hill
7 months ago

Hello all!
Does this chandelier look too big?

I took a risk and broke the chandelier sizing rules and sized up on my new chandelier. I’m now wondering if I made a mistake. I could return this one and go a size down but I’d have to pay return shipping and a $150 restocking fee. Also the size down is 30” which is significantly smaller than the one I got which is 40” diameter.

P..S. I AM STILL WAITING ON MY DINING CHAIRS. I am just using these as a mock up. I have 4 seagrass chairs and 2 linen captains chairs coming too.

What do you think I should do? Thank you ☺️

Comments (40)

• PRO
    Yonder Way Design
    7 months ago

Yes.

• chispa
    7 months ago

Find a different chandelier that comes in a 36" size.

• Lyn Nielson
    7 months ago

Yes.

can you hang it in a different room?

a long rectangular fixture in the similar style would be a nice replacement.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 months ago
    last modified: 7 months ago

I do not like thhat light with the table at all IMO too light looking and I like chandeliers to light the table not the ceiling I think with the new chairs amybe something a bit more modern and linear.

• sabine halfhill
    7 months ago

The idea of the round chandlier is to break up all of the square shapes in the room.

• Jilly
    7 months ago

It’s hard to say from just this one picture, and not being there in person, but I don’t think it’s too big.

The way wagon wheel fixtures are shaped, they tend to have more of a presence than many other fixtures.

It’s really just personal preference. I’d rather it be that size than too small, that’s for sure. And when you have all your chairs there, it’ll make a difference.

With that many bulbs, I’d definitely have a dimmer switch (maybe you already do).

PS: I think your room looks great! The views! And that armoire is awesome — I think the larger light is nicely balanced with such a substantial piece nearby. :)

• sabine halfhill
    7 months ago

Jilly, thank you! That was part of my reason for getting the larger light and also becasue it is so light I thought I might be able to get away with the bigger size. I do think I am going to wait and see it with the chairs before I make a decision. I also am going to see if I can get it a little higher off the table. It is sitting a little low. The ceiling height is a bit of an issue too.

Yes, it is definiltey on a dimmer!

• Fori
    7 months ago

I sort of like the size of it. It's WIDE but it's so dainty that it's not bossy.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    7 months ago

My first reaction was ”no” it’s not too big…..still think so after reading responses. I agree with Jilly, the armoire is lovely and a substantial piece. I like the airy-ness of the chandelier. Also agree that when all chairs are present and the rug I see is in place, everything will be beautifully balanced.

debra

• kculbers
    7 months ago

I like your chandelier size; looks good in that space. Keep it.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

Chandelier is too big. Armoire is not big enough for it, despite being a great armoire that is perfect for that spot. Worst think about the chandelier is how it puts up a metal fence in front of what is really a spacious view. Get a fixture that doesn't block the view.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

Consider going with the soft arch of the entry way, which will frame the chandelier as part of the beautiful view, and also will help soften the chairs.

• S Hill
    Original Author
    7 months ago

My two cents… thank you! Any chance you can show an example of a light with a soft arch? By the way, this is a coastal Spanish revival home.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

I'm sorry this chandelier is a small fortune, but this would be ideal in my view

but other far less expensive options would work too, despite not having down directional lights (which your present one doesn't have anyway) I would use candle-flame bulbs, not round, in your space

and I think this very modern one could be very nice and work with what I can see of your rug but maybe the rest of the house would fight it

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/2-Light-Curved-Pendant-Mid-Century-Modern-Raw-Brass-Sputnik-Chandelier-Light-Fix/1455003410?goog_pla=1

• S Hill
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Here is a photo of the same light fixture with very similar chairs that I’m getting. The only difference is the ceiling height.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

There are lots of squares in the photo you just added and your room has a big arch. If you would like a touch of Spanish colonial, I would still try for something with some more curviness to go with your arch. But even if you want to get the same chandelier in a smaller size, I think it would work better

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

This interest you at all? Possibly too small but maybe it comes larger somewhere

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

i rather like this (from Build)

I think part of my resistance to your original choice is "too farmhouse" and not unique enough. But I woudn't sweat it, and I certainly wouldn't spend a fortune to compete with the view and the basic set up. it's a lovely room, and if you find a chandelier that really wows you, that's great, but I wouldn't chase it.

• Anna Devane
    7 months ago

Not sure if this was mentioned but a large area rug will balance everything. I like the chandelier and think it would work

• jlc712
    7 months ago

I like it. I would make sure it's not a head bumper by having a few people test out standing up from the chairs. Pretty room!

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

Might be worth looking at some linear chandeliers to keep the eye traveling to the view (and good point about doing a test for head-bump hazards)

If I was going to break the bank for 36 inches

but presumably you want to put your kids through college or have a comfortable retirement rather than look at an expensive chandelier

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    7 months ago

Nope! Not a big at all. Size does matter! And you can see it in your inspro pic.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

There are 2 really interesting things about your room: The view and the armoire. The wagon wheel blocks the view and isn't at the same level of attractiveness as the armoire.

A linear chandelier would keep the eye traveling on to the view and the armoire.

The inspiration photo shows a room with no view and no interest other than the ceiling. So the chandelier draws the eye up to the ceiing and makes a geometric contrast of circle and square. Not the same room at all.

Finding a graceful and somewhat traditional European flavored lineal fixture might take a search (although I think the first one I posted is attractive) but worth the search, I think. You can always go back to the wagon wheel.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 months ago

There is no such thing as a chandiler that is too big.

• ilikefriday
    7 months ago

I love oversized chandeliers and think it looks great.

• acm
    7 months ago

I think it's wide enough that tall guests would likely hit their heads. We have just a round ball light, and if the table gets shifted just a little, people can still bang their heads. Yours looks hazardous.

• doods
    7 months ago

Not a pro... but I too think it looks great. It has a light and airy presence, which offsets the size. Love the round shape, which to me also softens and is a nice contrast to the other squares in the room. I like it much better than the alternatives suggested here. Good job!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 months ago

The room is not finished once the rug the chairs the curtains etc go in it will start to blend into the room.

• katrina_ellen
    7 months ago

What bothers me is that its almost as wide as the table. I normally like oversized things but I don't think its the right proportion for the table size.

• mytwo cents
    7 months ago

Fwiw, AliExpress is selling Restoration Hardware's Camino Vintage rectangular chandelier for 1/2 price -- which even then probably makes it 3 times as expensive as the one you've got. Also, I have never personally bought anything from AliExpress so don't know what the reputation is.

RH also makes a wagon wheel Camino Vintage, but I don't think it's all that different from what you have despite being more expensive, so this is the linear

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256805014266729.html?src=google&aff_fcid=b9d7cbc540b249e4a31ac070127cc582-1694670676495-07552-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=b9d7cbc540b249e4a31ac070127cc582-1694670676495-07552-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=6de00e85afd04719860c9f0924a2670a&afSmartRedirect=y&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

• Theresa Peterson
    7 months ago

Hmmm. It is large for the space, but it is -- no, not dainty, as wrought iron isn't dainty -- it doesn't take up a lot of visual space. The metal is narrow, and the bulbs are small. A different chandy in the same size would be "too much", but this one works in terms of size.

I would rather have seen something rectangular to mimic the size of the table, but since this one's already up, I'd probably keep it.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    7 months ago

If anyone hits their heads or ducks in order to not then it's too big.

• Ida Claire
    7 months ago

I think it's wonderful, and would much rather see a chandelier that has some presence to it than a "there, but not impactful" fixture. Then again, I live with a chandelier over my dining table that at times feels like it's of Dr. Suessian comically large proportions, but I love it and can't imagine living with something smaller now.

• S Hill
    Original Author
    7 months ago

Thank you everyone for all of your feedback! Apparently chandelier sizing is a matter of taste and highly subjective! There have been some very interesting suggestions here!
    I chose this light because it’s visually light , the iron finish , and to me it has the modern Spanish feel I was looking for. I had debated between this and a linear light… I might still switch.
    This wasn’t a cheap fixture ( it’s from Visual Comfort) . I do want it to be right.
    I’m going to wait for the chairs and put in the rug and also raise the light another 2” and then decide if I keep it or not!

• Maureen
    7 months ago

Larger chandeliers create more of a statement/feel in room. The ”rule” can be broken and you will see lots of examples on line.

I also think the large windows help as a backdrop, reducing impact visually.

I’d wait to see how the added chairs create added visual weight and drapes/large art/weighty centrepiece will provide added balance.

• Ida Claire
    7 months ago

Don't overthink it. You chose very well and clearly have a great eye.

• elcieg
    7 months ago

What size is the rug? It may be the way you rolled it, but it looks like it is too small.

You want 3' larger than the table all around so that chairs, pulled back, have all four legs still on the rug. With the proper sized rug, and the new chairs (not tucked all the way under the table), I think the chandelier will work.

• S Hill
    Original Author
    7 months ago

The rug is 8x10… it should work. I’m using it temporarily. I’m currently looking for a vintage persian run for that space.
    Ida, I’m the QUEEN of overthinking!!! 😂