Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_726503983

Electric re-wire

3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi,

I've received a bid for my renovation projection. My plan has been to re-wire the entire main level from aluminum to copper. Lots of controversy over whether or not this needs to happen. Main floor is 2100 sq ft. Re-wiring kitchen, living room, dining room, family room, garage, 3 BR, master BR, master Bath, hall bath, mudroom.

Heres the thing:

i just had an abatement team run through and take down my ceilings (asbestos in popcorn). My ceiling is wide open for the electrician. I am renovating about 60-70% of the main level footprint which will all require new receptacles, new recessed lighting etc. So a majority of this is already baked into the reno. The additional work is him just fishing new fire into the 3 rooms that aren't being renovated. In my mind it's a no brainer. He is also changing out the panel, per inspector recommendation.

The two quotes are quite a bit different. One is 23k, larger company, I chose them just to get another bid. The other is 15k. I sought him out. I have family that have recommended him and said he does good work. Smaller outfit.

Both bid details are spot on. No major differences. Different panels being recommended, but not a biggie. I honestly don't know if the higher bid is just trying to gouge me knowing I am doing a full reno, but not quite sure. Those numbers are vastly different. Not to mention, everything is pretty much wide open for them.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? I am planning on going with the 15k bid. Are there any red flags that you can tell from the quotes? I could list out all the lights, receptacles, etc. but there is a lot. If you want that info, I can provide.

Comments (3)