Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_274641122

small refrigerator in closet space?

2 years ago

I have this small refrigerator for extra storage. I love the way it looks.

There’s no good spot for it anywhere except here or the garage. This photo is the laundry room closet. It fits just fine. Here are the dimensions of the fridge:

21.73* 24.45* 58.35 (WD H, Inches)

I was considering taking the door off of the closet, and making this look like an intentional space for the fridge.

We only used this closet for random stuff, so it’s sort of wasted space otherwise.

I’ll consider changing the look of the room completely, eventually. New paint colors etc.

Thoughts on how to make it look like it belongs here?

Comments (26)

  • 2 years ago

    If you love it that much--and I do--I'd use it in the kitchen to show it off even if it goes with nothing else. If you need to use another refrigertor because this one is too small, than find another place to put that. Or learn to live as Europeans do--with a small refrigerator and shop more often. (I'd choose the latter because that refrigerator is so . . . cool (so to speak).

  • 2 years ago

    Ha! Nice. No room in the kitchen. It’s strictly extra. For me, the only options I’m looking at are garage (least favorite), in the way in the breezeway or laundry room, or making it fit in the closet of this laundry room. I’m open to changing the look of the laundry room completely (though not immediately) to make it belong in this space. I guess that’s really what I’m looking for. How to make that space look like the fridge was meant to be there.

    Some things I’m envisioning are limewash painted walls in colors that work with the fridge, a frame for the door that makes the fridge the star, shelving and surrounding space to make things integral…

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    To make it a little more intentional, besides just removing the door, you could also remove the door frame and finish the edges of the drywall to look more like a big nook. Obviously a lot more involved and more money but a lot less, I took a door off.

  • 2 years ago

    To make it intentional looking it would need to fit the soace better. Remove the door and all it's framing. Bring it forward flush with the opening. Consider some cabinetry above vs the shelving.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Put it in the garage, because from what I can see, there's a lot of very random "stuff" already in the laundry....: ) at lower left of pic.

    Maybe that's a closet that needs shelving and even a purge of.....stuff.

  • 2 years ago

    We’re just finishing an unanticipated overhaul of the kitchen because of flooding from a burst pipe, so this photo is really just a point of reference to show the space. So imagine those cabinet doors on the left, the book shelf, the wallpaper and trim color… all are there only temporarily, until the kitchen is finished and I can put things where I want them. Just trying it out for size right now.

  • 2 years ago

    I like the idea of a frameless nook. Maybe a space like this…

  • 2 years ago

    Just remember that the refrigerator won’t last forever. Before you do too much that’s permanent, think about what you will do after the refrigerator dies.

    I would put it in a game room or spare room if there were an appropriate one available.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I need to see the whole space to understand this at all. I love the fridge but I see wallpaper and a bunch of stuff stacked on the floor so I need context to answer this question. Post pics of the whole space in comments here DO NOT start another post.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    This is a laundry room, correct? I'd rather have a spare fridge in the laundry room than in the garage, especially if you are in a climate with hot summers and cold winters.

    Since you are in the middle of fixing up your kitchen, concentrate on that first, then come back for advice when the laundry room contains only the items that will stay there.

    Also, photos of the entire room would help.

    If the closet door is in the way and bothers you when accessing items out of the fridge, take it off temporarily until you can focus on fixing up the laundry room.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    She isn't using it as a "fridge", Diana - she's putting stuff in it: ) Nothing needing to be cooled.

  • 2 years ago

    Is there an electrical outlet in the closet? I see an electrical cord on the floor to the right. Is that from the fridge? Is it on an extension cord? Not a good idea. If you intend to keep the fridge in the closet area, I would spend money on installing an outlet there if there isn’t one. A good idea, anyway, for chargeable brooms, dust busters and the like. Just a thought….

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I'm lost : ) Is it storage for stuff? Or storage for cold food?!

    I think I am losing my mind lol


  • 2 years ago

    I'm lost : ) Is it storage for stuff? Or storage for cold food?!

    The cord is snaking out the door so assuming it is plugged in & running. (Closets don't usually have receptacles.) So 'stuff' could be food. Or it could be both food & 'stuff". I have both in my basement fridge. Food & nail polish, PVC cement, open, re-sealed tubes & new, unopened tubes of Lexel & OSI Quad Max, E-6000, etc.... i.e., adhesives that don't have a long shelf life at room temperature have a much longer shelf life if you store them in the fridge.


    For sure, if that cute little fridge is running, do NOT close it up in a closet with the door closed. It needs to breathe & will last longer & operate more efficiently in an environment with good air circulation.

  • 2 years ago

    Ok so as not to distract with details that I’m not asking about right now, here’s what the laundry room and closet look like. I’d like to use the refrigerator to keep things cold. It’s an extra fridge for things that don’t fit in the kitchen refrigerator. There is no other space in the house where this fridge will fit, except for the garage. I am keeping the door to the closet open right now, so the fridge can breathe.

    I’m at the tail end of kitchen repairs. The junk that’s in that laundry room (cabinet doors, etc) will be moved within a week, leaving just the washer and dryer and the cabinets above them. It’s been a challenge finding contractors, so i thought I’d think this through while i still have the kitchen workers here, in case i choose to add a receptical, remove the door frame, or make any other changes right now.

    I’m 100% willing to change the decor, and would like to keep the fridge red. I like the idea of removing the door and frame, bringing it flush with the opening, and adjusting the surrounding area. I agree that i don’t want to make any huge changes, because yes, the fridge won’t run forever, so it would be better to keep any changes simple.

  • 2 years ago

    Are you buying new washer and dryer? Maybe make them red?

  • 2 years ago

    If it gets cold where you live, your fridge is likely not designed to operate in the garage.

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You come on a site manned by many designers who notice all kinds of things that make us think about what you are doing. We need pictures of the whole space to understand how this relates to that space . If you do not want to provide that the help will be a long time coming IMO. Post at least pics of the real space the stuff you posted really not helpful and I am trying to understand if you have a tiny kitchen why such a big laundry space at all. You need to get an electrician to install a plug for sure and usually a fridge needs its own circuit.

  • 2 years ago

    How many people live in your household? Two fridges seems like something to avoid unless you have a family of 8-10.

  • 2 years ago

    We have two and a full size freezer. There are only two of us now. It's all about how you use them.

  • 2 years ago

    I think we should start a drinking game on this site betting on how many comments before the TANGENT occurs. It's inevitable I think because a good designer cannot have tunnel vision and look at an issue in isolation from its context.

  • 2 years ago

    We don't need all the photos. Put in an outlet of appropriate amperage, take off the door frame, buid cabinets above. It will be a cute little niche, will probably make you happy when you come in to do laundry. :)

  • 2 years ago

    Thank you, ACM! You’ve revived my faith in this forum. A few people who commented were good at keeping this small project in perspective, and i appreciate that.

  • 2 years ago

    Yep, frame off the door, a few shelves inside the closet. Live with it like that until you can change the look of this room. By then you will see if you still like and use it enough to invest in designing around it.


    Chrck out the specs for how much room is required between fridge and back wall. You may need to put something as a spacer behind it so it doesnt get pushed all the way back against the wall. As you know, these small units need good airflow. I killed one this year!

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Suggest removing the door, as a fridge needs air circulation (and for convenience). May want to Google air flow needs. When redoing laundry room, suggest not going too far and accessories will do the trick.


  • 2 years ago

    Galanz is a cheap Chinese, one year warranty appliance. Not worth investing much effort or $$ into making a home for it. I would just remove the closet door, add a receptacle in the closet for the sake of convenience & safety and call it done.

Sponsored
Daniel Home
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin Co, Ohio