Software
Houzz Logo Print
nkeowct

Can I remove laminate sheet from countertop?

2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I have ugly blue laminate countertops with a wodd edge. I want to give them a facelift because I cannot afford a brand new countertop. Can I remove the laminate sheet from the top? If so do I have to put a new sheet of laminate on top or it there another way to get the fresh new look im going for? Any suggestions or ideas helps! Please be kind. I’ve posted other questions on here as someone new to diy-ing and comments have been downright rude. Ic what I’m asking isn’t doable without a professional simply say that and let it be.

Thanks




Comments (15)

  • PRO
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I am probably one who comes across as rude. I think if you want an upgrade you colod just do laminate on top of laminate th big iss IMO is the wood trim so remove that then ge the new laminate installed . There will need to be some type of counter no matter what you do , maybe for right now just paint the wood to match the counter you have . Then sav for awhile and do whit I suggested first.I see cupboard doors off are you redoing the cabinets?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I don't know if the laminate can be replaced in a cost-effective way. If you don't get a response here, try taking your photos to a local countertop company that carries Formica and similar brands.

    In the meantime, you can shine up the navy blue laminate with Gel Gloss, available at hardware stores, big box stores and Amazon. It will add a protective layer that makes it much easier to clean. Also, since you are in the middle of painting, consider painting the shelves under the sink with whatever white or off white paint you have around. Or use a $15 battery powered motion sensor LED light strip under the sink.


    https://www.gel-gloss.com/


    Many lights available such as this: https://www.amazon.com/VYANLIGHT-Operated-Anywhere-Magnetic-Stairway/dp/B0839N6GSR

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    Yep, I’ve painted my cabinets and now just working on the doors. All i have left is the floor and the countertop. As for removing the wood trim - do I cut it off?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    It usually is glued on but depends somtimes . Take a chisel and try it on a apot that is not obvious but realize if you remove it then you will nat have any overhang so your nicely painted cabinets will get dirty. I really would just paint the wood to match the counter . Can we see the color you chose for thr cabinets?

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    You *can* remove laminate, but sometimes it is glued down so well that it doesn't come up easily. You can also install a laminate sheet over the existing laminate, but you'd want to do some sort of edge treatment (you may need to abrade the existing laminate so the glue will stick).

    If you don't want to keep the edge treatment, I would just shop for some new laminate. It is pretty reasonably priced and can be a DIY project as long as you're careful and follow instructions. Either way you'll have to take out the sink and faucet. Ikea has some affordable laminates.


    Also - you will probably find fiber board underneath the laminate which you will need to cover with something else, so don't plan on just removing laminate and using it as-is.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    If you pick instock laminate at a big box store is is fairly cheap. If not that, paint the edge to match the cabinets or the countertop. Sand first, then paint with a satin enamel. Yours is the flat without the built in 4 inch back splash which is very reasonable.

  • 2 years ago


    Black on the cabinets

  • 2 years ago

    Show the rest of the kitchen. The 45* angle i can see, you can purchase instock at something like Home Depot or any countertop store. I actually like laminate better than any stone.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    I feel your pain. I also have ugly laminate countertops.... How good are your DIY skills? What color are you painting your cabinets?

    Here are some possible cheap redo's that do not require removing the laminate:

    1. As @Sherry8a[WAS 7B]NorthAL suggested, paint the wood edge to match the laminate so that it blends in a bit more. You might also consider painting the lower cabinets to match the color of the laminate and trim so that it all blends together.
    2. Stain the laminate with gel stain. I really like this idea. I think you would have to use black or dark brown stain. https://www.sheepshopvt.com/blog/2019/7/21/how-to-make-laminate-countertops-look-like-wood 
    3. Cover with Ardex cement https://welivedhappilyeverafter.com/review-of-our-diy-ardex-feather-finish-concrete-countertops-one-year-later/
    4. Cover with epoxy. This appeals to me also.


    In addition to all of these ideas, you could create a dramatic focal point in the kitchen to draw the eye away from the countertops.

  • 2 years ago

    Off the shelf laminate counters most likely will not work in this situation. Because those tops are designed for standard depth/ have the integrated backsplash and won't work because of the peninsula.

    You could remove the wood edge and replace it with square edged stock. The top of the new edging needs to be installed flush with the existing laminate. Scuff the existing laminate with a sander before gluing the new laminate sheet down. The surface needs to have some tooth to get a good bond.

    Or remove these tops and fabricate new. Will be easier to install the laminate with the counters removed. Install after you have fabricated them. Not difficult if you have basic DIY skills. Just basic skills as in able to make straight cuts with a circular saw and accurately crosscut 1x2's. Will need to buy a router if you don't own one. (Small trim router.)

    If you have a Menard's store locally, I suggest that you go into the store and check the price of custom counters & DIY the install. Measure once, twice, three times before you place the order. Menard's has frequent sales on custom laminate countertops.

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    https://gianigranite.com/collections/giani-countertop-paint


    I used this on Teal Laminate countertops and it came out nice. I can't speak to how well it held up as I sold the house. But it was fairly easy to do.

  • 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

    "I want to give them a facelift because I cannot afford a brand new countertop."

    What do you want to replace the countertop with? Do you just want to replace the laminate with a different color? What about the edge? Remove? Reshape? Paint?

    There are a number of articles and videos describing how to remove laminate. Search "remove laminate from wood".

  • 2 years ago

    Cover with contact paper?

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Your countertops look like they are in pretty good shape and that edging looks like it was done originally quite well. I would try the Gel Stain product first and paint wood trim to match. That is least cost, least time consuming, easiest approach. Then save up for future replacement in material of your choice. We had that wood edging on our 1986 home in Atlanta GA. It was popular then, but a bugger to keep crumbs etc out of joints etc. Yours looks 200xs better install! And it’s still attached!! So it’s not bad.