Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abonelli72

Please I need help to pick a chandelier for my dining room. thank

abonelli72
4 months ago

I have an open space dinning room/living room. I took a long time to pick chairs for my dinning room and now I feel there are too orange ( they are oak like the table) . Maybe with a chandelier it will look better.

Comments (28)

• Katie Campau
    4 months ago

Just commenting to say that I love the chairs, great choice!

• Katie Campau
    4 months ago

Just commenting to say that I love the chairs, great choice!

• motupeg
    4 months ago

The chairs are stylish. Danish modern? You have a lovely home.

• BPMBA
    4 months ago

I think they're super-cool chairs, even if they are a little orange. I think you need some complementary color in there; on my monitor it looks very monochromatic & beige-y.

• Design Fan
    4 months ago

I like the chairs.

Consider a rug that includes the chair wood color. Then add some sofa pillows or art, etc. that repeat the chair color to pull it all together.

• housegal200
    4 months ago

Your chairs are wonderful. You've made some good choices. You'll find multiple articles on Houzz about how to choose dining room lighting. Here's one of them that includes a dining room that has the feeling of yours:

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/5-pro-tips-for-choosing-a-dining-room-chandelier-stsetivw-vs~115536350

Home Show Expo 2017: Dining With a View · More Info

Notice the orientation of the table so that most of the chairs face the window. You might want to consider that. Also, your blank wall is calling for another view, i.e. art work for everyone to enjoy looking at. This one echoes your outdoor view and has the softness and feel of your other choices.

"Quiet Expression", Original by Hilary Winfield, Art · More Info

• qwert
    4 months ago

I love those chairs - enough to ask you where you got them! I am decorating a similar type of space, and these are definitely something I’d like to consider….please share if your are comfortable doing so.
    As for the chandelier, I like the box pendant style show in the photo above. It gives the dining space some definition but would keep the sight line open from your entry out to the back….

• Maureen
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

I think the chairs are perfect…a different wood tone provides a bit of contrast and personality.

Regarding the chandelier, have you looked at any inspiration pictures to know the shape you prefer (also consider size). What about more of a sculptured design that feels minimal, so as not to distract/block the sight lines to the outside as you enter. I’d select a black finish to tie in with the other black items. Then look for a large piece of art to define the dining room to add weight, balance and add interest.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 months ago

I l;ove the chairs but the rug is too small so either much bigger or no rug. A huge piece of art on tht bare wall would add some color to a really blah space . As for a light go fabulous maybe some bling the space really needs so life.Maybe a 3 pc. set of George Nelson lights hung there .I like the smaller ones hung in 3s but this look

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

I also think the chairs are great. You do need a larger rug -one that allows the chairs to stay on the rug when pulled out. A different rug can add some color, and also complement your wood. All of these look good with your style of dining room set.
    (Some have chandeliers in the photos, which an give you ideas.)

Some richer color:

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Neutral but interesting pattern:

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

More subtle, and I like the touches of black.

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

For chandeliers, Patricia gave you a good idea. The lighting has to have some width - and something unique goes well with the simple design of your furniture. One black option included.

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

Your home is an awesome combination of elegant and casual, traditional and contemporary. Sophisticated. Nicely done.

I like Patricia's cluster of floating oragami lights, and Maureen's suggestion second suggestion too.

I see this everywhere now in all kinds of spaces. Not my taste but think it would look great in here. Playful and elegant at the same time and doesn't obstruct views of the outdoors. Comes with gold and silver chains too.

Talia Chandelier, 8-Light, Plaster White, Clear Swirled Glass, 33"W · More Info

• stiley
    4 months ago

Love your space and the dining chairs! I don't think you'd want them to all look like a matching set--yours have some character. I like the lights suggested above. I can also see an oversized paper lantern in there.

• Kate Cowers
    4 months ago

Take a look at Hubbardton Forge lighting. Something in wrought iron would look great. I love the room, great home!

• abonelli72
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. I feel a lot better. When I asked some stores designers for suggestions they always said something linear. One of the lights recommended was very simple from Regina Andrews . Do you think this style and color will work. Otherwise I will look to the ideas in this post. The price is very reasonable.

Also, yes I need art, change the rug. I tried to move the dining table and chairs facing the window but it doesn’t look good due to the shape of the room.

The chairs are from dwr and I was able to find them on sale.

I am sending another picture of the space. The dinning room is the first thing you see when you get in the house.

Thank you so much ! I hope I still have time for a chandelier for Christmas.

• la_la Girl
    4 months ago

Love your tables and chairs! i might be tempted to try something large that fills up the space but still feels light and doesn’t block that lovely view (these are from DWR)

• Tachch
    4 months ago

Your room is very pleasant and visually soft and I definitely like your chairs. As for the lamp, I would look towards soft lines and natural materials. I gave you a fitting, I hope it helps you decide)
    And yes, size matters.

And one more thing - the carpet for lamps of this type should preferably be lighter (they have already written to you about the size and about the artwork...). And in general, the entire room should be linked into one concept, balancing all zones.

• theotherjaye
    4 months ago

We put this light in our dining room, and it really elevates the whole look:

https://www.moooi.com/eu/product/flock-of-light

We get compliments from everyone who sees it.

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

@Abonnelli I don't love the light you posted because it looks too linear to me. I get that it is not actually linear, but I think the angle from which you view it when you walk in the door, it is going to feel too linear. I think you need something that is going to give the appearance of volume or body as viewed from multiple angles.

• abonelli72
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you @kendrah i appreciate your honesty .

I really like the mooi light. I think dwr also sells it. I am going to check it out .@tachch thank you for doing that. I didn’t consider that material but look great I have some many options now. 😊

Thank you so much

• RedRyder
    4 months ago

Some texture will add a lot to your beautifully simple dining set. I really love the wicker ones from @Tachch.

• Ashley Littlejohn
    4 months ago

I love this light. Pretty sure I will have it in my new dining area.

• Paul F.
    4 months ago

What is expected is woven jute or rattan... I'd go against type and do something you think is pretty. When there is nothing unexpected it tends to be boring.

• mamamocha
    4 months ago

I also recommend Hubbardton Forge. Beautiful lighting, works of art. And, made in the USA.

• VAval
    4 months ago

I love your table with those chairs! So much better than too matchy.
    I’m another vote for Hubbardton Forge. As hard as I try, I can’t seem to buy anything else! 😂
    How about the Graffiti Pendant? It’s linear…..but the abstract shape fools you. I have it and love it.
    ……..and I will post a picture as soon as Houzz lets me.