Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecasta

can this fixture be shortened?

4 months ago

So I snagged this gorgeous Chapman fixture for a song on Facebook Marketplace. The width is correct for my kitchen island, but it is still about 6 inches too long even after removing the entire chain. The wiring goes through one of the three poles that connect to the circle base. If I were to shorten the poles, then I think the entire fixture would be out of whack proportionally speaking. Unfortunately, my ceilings are 8 feet, so I don’t have any wiggle room. Thoughts? Just thought I would throw it out there to see if I was missing another creative solution. Otherwise back on marketplace it goes! Thanks for your advice. 😊

Comments (20)

• 4 months ago

• 4 months ago

Any ideas?

• 4 months ago

Paul F. I already did that. It’s still too long.

• 4 months ago

I just wanted to see if shortening those rods was even possible or if anyone had any other creative solution, I hadn’t thought of. Yes, I understand I can sell it. I just wanted to exhaust my other options first if there were any.

• 4 months ago

Doubt it can be adjusted without the risk of ruining. It also doesn’t quite feel like a pendant for over an island. It’s such an important choice and maybe look on line for inspiration and if interested, post a picture of island if you’d like suggestions.

• 4 months ago

That’s what I thought Maureen. I only have one opening from which to hang a fixture. I think the chandelier look is kind of fun over an island, but it has to be the right height. Currently my fixture is 36 inches above the island as indicated in the illustration you so kindly provided. I’m sad to part with the Chapman fixture, but it is what it is I guess.

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Can it go elsewhere - foyer or hallway for example. I’d suggest a linear style if only using one.

https://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/251-first-elle-matte-black-four-light-chandelier-2319414.html?partid=googlePLA-DataFeed-Chandeliers&kpid=2319414

• PRO
    4 months ago

IMO a poor choice for an island for 2 reasons first farbric shades in a space with steam, grease etc not good and IMO an island fixture should light the island not the ceiling . Put it somehwere else where is can work and get a btter one for the kitchen

• PRO
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

Put it over your dining table or back on Marketplace : )

An 8 ' ceiling gives you a total of 24 inches for fixture, chain, mount, at al.....

• PRO
    4 months ago

It's really nice--I'd try to use it elsewhere.

• 4 months ago

Thanks everyone!

• 4 months ago

How about one of these?

• 4 months ago

I’m seeing a lot of this style now so I’m guessing they must be trendy? I really want something traditional that’s going to last a while.

• 4 months ago

My ceilings were all too low to accommodate the other fixture. Thankfully I was able to sell it on marketplace.

• PRO
    4 months ago

You're lucky to have been able to sell the fixture.

Shows the importance of measuring when ordering items for your spaces. The numbers don't lie.

• 4 months ago

Definitely! The chain was deceiving. I just thought I would remove it and it would be fine. Nope. Good life lesson!

• 4 months ago

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your suggestions about a linear chandelier. I just ordered this one from Ballard designs. What do you think about this for over my island?

• 4 months ago

… and then I freaked out and canceled the order 🤦‍♀️. Then I ordered this fixture in both black and antique brass to compare. My island is 87 inches in length and this fixture is 50 inches. I think that would work right? I have never been so bananas and indecisive on a project before 🙄. Thanks again for following along and helping me on this kitchen update everyone!

• 4 months ago

Here is the brass one.