Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiffany_short31

Snout House front entry

Tiffany Short
3 months ago

I bought this home in 2019. I have since painted the trim confederate grey, remodeled the interior, and removed most of the bushes. I circled the ones i removed.

I think am going to have the siding painted as it has a pink tint in the sunlight. Should I being the front door forward? i hate that patio and walkway. I want it to look clean and bright. As you can tell, I am on a budget.

Comments (18)

• Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

This is it now. I am hoping I can tie in a new design, painting (again), and replacing some of the exterior wood as I upgrade.

• Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Sorry, Had to block my tag and business decal.

• kandrewspa
    3 months ago

If you brought the front door forward it would no longer be under a roof would it? If you come in through the garage all the time you might not care, but if visitors arrive in inclement weather that would not be welcoming. Does Amazon, etc. leave packages on your doorstep? You want those under cover if you can't bring them in right away.

I think it's a cute house. The house is Victorianish, but not really Victorian is it? If it's not really Victorian you have more latitude with the exterior. You don't need to outline the windows and garage door in a darker color. The vertical trim boards don't need to be highlighted at all. I would either reduce the contrast between the trim and the body color or paint the trim white and have a gray, greige or taupe body color. The roof is a great color. The body color could be blue, green or yellow if the trim were white. While the houses in the pictures below aren't exactly the same style as yours, I am including them so you can see the colors I'm thinking of.

Bluegrass Living · More Info

Modern Bungalow · More Info

Craftsman Home Remodel · More Info

Tiffany Short thanked kandrewspa
  • Kendrah
    3 months ago

The house looks fantastic. You have done a great job. I would not change the siding or the front door. I'd invest in landscaping and driveway paving.

Tiffany Short thanked Kendrah
  • Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Thank you all! What do you think of adding an extended porch:

• deegw
    3 months ago

Your changes look good. I think investing in the hardscape and landscape would give you the biggest bang for your buck.

-Pressure wash and edge the driveway. Pull out the concrete walkway and replace it with a wider, longer stone walkway that curves toward the driveway. It will help ground the front of the house and draw the eye to the entry.

-Pull out the big bush and replace it with a tree.

-A bright color for the door would add curb appeal as well. I'm thinking orange or a bright blue/gray.

• Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago

You can’t tell in the photo but the door is brick red.

• deegw
    3 months ago

I can see it, I think you can use a bolder, brighter color that will help counteract the shadows in the entry.

• Paul F.
    3 months ago

I don't think the big leaf plant is doing anything for the curb appeal there. Landscaping is the key here.

• tozmo1
    3 months ago

Definitely landscaping. If I were on a budget, that's where I'd start. And begin to save up for a new driveway. They are pricey.

You could include in your landscaping plan adding some kind of gate or iron door to the front of the sidewalk heading to the door. These are tied to some kind of walling or fencing but there's no reason you couldn't, with the proper landscaping plan, give that illusion.

Boca Raton, FL · More Info

Los Altos · More Info

French Cottage Arcadia · More Info

• cebehatz
    3 months ago

I think nice landscaping is all you need. I agree with changing the siding and maybe some side lights on the garage.

• Mrs. S
    3 months ago

What you might consider is what's become VERY popular here in the suburbs of SoCal, and that is creating a courtyard with an entry. It can be done with fencing. Your entry, from the street, would look completely different. And there are other benefits, like package delivery, keeping salespeople from your front door, etc.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

You did a great job on the exterior! Barely looks like the same house.

Don’t bring the door forward or encase it in fencing. MAYBE, think about a bright yellow for your door and stronger bulbs for any outside fixtures in that area. Can you post what lighting you have in the outside entryway?

You need to spend your money and attention on the driveway and landscaping. There are ways to landscape so the walkway says “Welcome - come this way” without spending a ton of money. Look at driveway-to-walkway ideas.

• Sigrid
    3 months ago

I would not remove any plants, but add a lot more. I don't think painting trim at the corners a contrasting color makes sense. It's often placed there because vinyl siding needs those verticals, but it makes the house look choppy. If it's possible to do without damaging it, I might move the tree philodendron to the right corner of your house. I'd put a flowering tree in the center of the front yard.

If you can grow a tree philodendron outside, you have no excuse for not having a flourishing garden full of beautfiul flowers.

• Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I live in SE Ga about 3 miles from Florida. It’s so easy to get things to grow. I have been thinking about landscaping ideas. The philodendron has a sister on the other side of the drive. I am not a huge fan of them. I have thought of trenching the sides of the drive and adding mulch and lighting

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

I like the driveway lighting idea!

You may want to search southern landscape designs. I moved south from NY and some of my favorites don’t do as well here. I can see some azaleas along the driveway, or knockout roses. Or you can plant annuals in-between the lights every year.

• Tiffany Short
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Good idea! Landscaping is slow. I had 9 holly bushes, 3 dying trees, a juniper tree, 2 fig bushes, and 4 other unknown shrubs. All but 3 holly bushes and the two fig bushes are gone. I am doing this myself so it gets done as I have time lol. I also have 3 HUGE oaks on the left side of the yard. 2 of 3 need to come down. That explains the need for a new driveway