Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosecanadian

Sliding into Spring Seasonal Thread

rosecanadian
3 months ago

It's a little early where I live to say Spring is coming...but for many of you, it's getting closer.

Leopard's Bane from a previous spring's June. It usually blooms alone as it's such an early bloomer. Any other signs of spring to share?

Comments (1.2K)

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    last month

Yes, Diane - linaria that all came up from seed from a linaria last year. I forgot to mention there is one freesia tucked in there. This is year 2 for angel face, planted last year after drooling over your photos. I’ve tried 3 dif kinds of lilac, but none bloomed. Not cold enough, I guess.

rosecanadian thanked DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    last month

Connie’s Sandstorm, Princesse Charlene de Monaco, Our Lady of Guadalupe, and the Heuchera Wendy with Distant Drums foliage.

last month

Gabriel Oak (super fragrant) & what’s left of Veilchenblau after the deer got to it.

last month

Hmmm….guess it’s time to clean the window tracks!

• jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
    last month

Manure Time... :-)

Wonderful photos all! :-)

rosecanadian thanked jim1961 / Central Pennsylvania / Zone 6
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last month

DeborahLeah, you have some early beauties!! Still longing for an Our Lady of Guadalupe and Gabriel Is a winner.

Diane, I will get tbe zinnias outside this week and see if we cant fill them out a bit. Azalea and I started an avacado seed and it is just about ready to leaf out.

rosecanadian thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • KittyNYz6
    last month
    last modified: last month

Oh, My My, Goodness Goodness! Beautiful roses, hollyhocks, Magnolia and bouquets!!!!! Diane and Deborah!!!

And Jim, Fabulous leafed out healthy rose! Maunure time it is!!!Lol! Fun! Fun!

Lovely! Berry!

I’ll chat later !

Busy running to work for now…..

Kristine, When will we get our ordered Dahlias? I can put them outside this Monday! We want our dahlias!!!!!!!

My dahlias are growing fast indoors under grow lights….. 5 dahlias have sprouted now! 4 dahlias still sleeping in the soil. I have 4 more Dinner Plate dahlias waiting to plant in large pots outside on Monday! I have lilies & glads waiting in boxes to plant outside, too! Warm weather is upon us! I have only a few 30F night freezes coming up on calendar days in allnof April. All freezes almost gone now. YAY!

My potted roses, poppies, oeony, from kitchen greenhouse, are doing soooooo well outside on porch steps…. I brought them into the porch today, because it will be 30F tonight, maybe. 47+ today today, but sun is veryvwarm-feel like 65F. I think they will be plenty sunny & warm there! They are growing so much better outside, leafing better, some red leaves, too! Pretty to see all the new growth! No gnats outside, too!

rosecanadian thanked KittyNYz6
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

Kristine, put the zinnias in the shade to start outside. I'm sure you know this, but I have sunburned plants that weren't acclimated.

rosecanadian thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    last month

Good reminder Sheila, I would hate to do more harm than good. This weekend looks encouraging

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    last month

I actually bought dahlias and then waffled over whether to return or plant them. I suppose the experiment begins haha. I will be putting out zinnia seeds too. Can’t wait.

Deborah, your PCDM and GO are amazing. Can’t wait for mine to bloom. yes, love those colors.

rosecanadian thanked Echo_Texas_zone9a
    last month

What a depressing week on the rose forum. Sad to see the bickering

• AllSass_CA10b
    last month

Happy Spring!

Golden Celebration

Douglas Gandy

Jump For Joy

rosecanadian thanked AllSass_CA10b
    last month

Allsass, great looking roses

• susan9santabarbara
    last month

Deborah, my friend who lives up on San Marcos Pass has a vintage lilac that was supposedly brought over in a "covered wagon" in the late 1800s. It's low chill. I will be getting together with her tomorrow, so I'll ask her if she thinks it would work for you where you live :-D

rosecanadian thanked susan9santabarbara
    last month

Thanks, Susan! I tried 3 “low chill” varieties that work in Ojai, but not at my house! Still, I’d love to have a lilac!

last month

@allsass - you would not believe how many “autocorrect” adventures I’ve just had with your name! All to say LOVELY ROSES! and Diane, as always SWOON. Okay - I first typed swine. That would result in a very different message! 🫢😜😇🤪

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    29 days ago

Allsass your roses are gorgeous. Love jump for joy! Such a lovely color!

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    29 days ago

More Like No Other. I’m obsessed. love this color. Today I’m planting zinnia seeds. I’m planting Purple Prince and Benary’s Giant Wine, Oklahoma Salmon and Benary’s Giant Salmon Rose, and Floret’s Unicorn Mix. yay! Also my experimental dahlias. I did a mix from a seller I found on Instagram last year called the ”Sunset mix”,

It was a very lovely zinnia season for me last year. First time saving seeds from some HUGE blooms.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    29 days ago

I need a zinnia breeder to make a ”coneflower zinnia mix” with giant shuttlecock centers. nearly every butterfly photo I took was on this same zinnia.

29 days ago

Echo, love your Like No Other!

My favorite zinnia is Benarys Wine. It is a derp rich wine color but somehow I forgot to grab a packet if them, although it is definitely not too late.

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    29 days ago

Thank you Kristine! I just love those rich wine colors. So vivid.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    29 days ago

Houzz has been up and down for me today, with posts dissappearing. I think our Garden Roses LLC and Etsy threads have totally overwhelmed them. We are spewing out more drama than they can produce chewing gum or unroll masking tape to patch themselves back together.

rosecanadian thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    29 days ago

I noticed the same thing. Time to move on

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Echo - Your Masora is luscious!!! I love the shape of the blooms...heavenly!! Oh my word!!! Why do I not have Like No Other? Yours is luscious with wonderful berry coloring!! SWOON!!!! I hope your zinnia seeds germinate well for you and grow into beauties like last year. Your coneflower/butterfly picture is so cool!!! You should frame that! :)

Kitty - ooooh!!! Rouge de Parfum looks stunning...I hope yours performs really well too!! My goodness!!

Kristine - I'm so glad your roses are coming on Saturday!! :) :) We're still below freezing here and snowing...so I have to live vicariously through everyone's roses here. :) :)

Deborah - I love the color on your Angel Face bud...it's going to be a beauty for you!! I love your Desiree even more!!! They would look great next to each other. Your bouquet (too beautifully arranged to be a plonk) is really unique!! I love the height to it and the flowers are arranged perfectly...what a beautiful and mesmerizing bouquet! Ooooo...your Gabriel Oak is wonderful!!! I love GO's fragrance so much!! Connie’s Sandstorm is such an unusual color...it's really beautiful!! PCdM really does have a wide color variation...light pink, medium pink, and coral. :) :) Love yours!

Diane- Your Golden Celebration must be HUGE!! Your hard work on your roses will be worth it...here's a DROOL in advance. :) :) Oh, my heavens!!!!! Your last AL picture is DIVINE!!!!! DROOL!!! I chuckled over your Love Song and Angel Face doing a may pole dance. lol I love your hollyhock!! That's my favorite color of hollyhock.

Berrypie - I've never heard of a tradition of planting seeds on Good Friday. It's a beautiful idea. :) :) Score on finding the clay pots!!

Jim - vitamins for your roses!!!

AllSass - I especially love your Jump for Joy bush!! Everything looks great in your garden. It's snowing here and below freezing. Blech.

Should I start a new Spring Seasonal Thread? Does anyone else want to start it instead of me? :)

• Echo_Texas_zone9a
    29 days ago

RoseCanadian, you are too kind! I bought Like No Other after seeing it on Instagram in someone’s garden. I had seen it in the catalog and online but I really feel the product photograph really doesn’t do it justice at all. I would have never bought it otherwise. I really love seeing people’s photos and hearing their experience. It makes a huge difference. especially with color variation, different zones and growing conditions, etc.

I bought Mister Lincoln (Still wondering if thats what this rose really is) because I saw it in person:

But the other photos I had seen for Mister Lincoln looked very high centered which is not my personal preference. Even when i searched the hashtag I didn’t see one that looked exactly like this.

• KittyNYz6
    29 days ago

Kristine, Benary Wine is a gorgeous zinnia! It’s one I ordered! I can’t wait to see it’s beauty!

Echo, I ran across like no other! Wowza! What beautiful wine color! I am in love with it!

• susan9santabarbara
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Deborah, I just got back from seeing my friend, and it turns out I was confused about her lilac. It was indeed probably brought to the area in the late 1800s/early 1900s, but isn't low chill. She said it's a "double French variety" that was growing wild in the Kinevan Road/West Camino Cielo area (where she's lived since the late 60s). The locals call it the Kinevan lilac. She says it requires frosts at least, and that it looks exactly like the lilacs she grew up with in Ohio. She says that she knows of some low chill varieties for our area, but since you've tried three, that may be a dead end. So sorry for getting your hopes up :-D

Edit to add: once her lilac starts putting out leaves and buds, if there's a freeze up in the hills, she loses her bloom for the year, which I think was the reason I thought it was a low chill variety.

29 days ago

The Korean lilacs were the latest I tried. Miss Kim? Thanks for checking! I went hardcore in yard today so I could be done before rain. Of course I’m not “done” but the rain is here a couple of hours earlier than expected - ooh - just startedcoming down HARD as I type! Gorgeous LNO & zinnias. I have lime z seedlings right now.

I tried the Good Friday tradition of planting seeds today - plus planted an oriental poppy, harlequin. Excited to see how it does. Ooph-too tired to type. Good to see you back, Carol. Night all!

• judijunebugarizonazn8
    29 days ago

Deborah, have you tried the Beach Party Lilac series? I have no personal experience with them but they are supposed to bloom in Florida. I have a Lavender Lady, another low chill variety. I got it four or five years ago and it’s getting better every year. It’s just now putting out big clusters of buds.

rosecanadian thanked judijunebugarizonazn8
  • rosecanadian
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Echo - does this bloom smell like raspberries? It looks (to me) like it could be Rouge Royale. ?? What a beauty!!! My goodness!!! I agree with you about getting others' opinions and seeing their pictures before buying a rose. We are a very good resource here. :)

Thanks, Deborah! :) :) Miss Kim (I looked it up) is only good to as warm as zone 8. So it probably won't work for you.

We're getting up to 1C/34F on Sat. and then zooming up to 18C/64F on Tuesday (YES!!!), but then going more snow as we go back down to freezing. lol Tis to laugh.

• Diane Brakefield
    29 days ago

Hi Carol, glad you're back and did you have a good visit with your mom and sister? You weren't gone long, but I missed you. I nominate you to start the spring thread. We need to give you some kind of thank you gift for all this thread moderating you do. I wish I could send you seeds and roses. But the blasted border. But thank you so much for your continued thread leadership.....That's definitely not Rouge Royale above that Echo shows us in her beautiful bloom photos. RR has a much different bloom structure. I don't think it's Mr Lincoln either, but I'm just guessing on that. The color is a little different than Lincoln's. What will you do when it hits 64F? What a change. We'll be in the 65-70F range then. I need to check. But then back to freezing--what a cruel trick of the weather gods. At least you've kept your good humor about the thing.....I must be missing rose photos because I see no Desiree or Masora rose anywhere above.

Echo, your Like No Other is simply luscious and the photos belong on HMF. I think it's interesting that Wild Blue Yonder and other Carruth roses are in the parentage of this rose. I have never seen such beautiful zinnias as the Giant Salmon Rose. Stunning and such a different color. Love the butterfly attracting zinnia, too. Do you grow coneflowers? They do attract pollinators, but the bees seem more attracted to coneflowers, though lavender is their favorite.

I'm going to continue this tomorrow. I'm dwindling away. Happy Easter from Wild Blue Yonder. Diane

The one rose Easter Basket, Wild Blue Yonder

rosecanadian thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Echo_Texas_zone9a
    28 days ago

Rose Canadian, I am probably not great on my scent description, but I would say it smells like classic rose. My Alnwick has a raspberry scent for sure but I’m not picking up on that here. I found the ”Mr Lincoln” at Lowes. I didn’t think it was labeled correctly but loved this bloom.

Diane, I do not have an account on HMF but maybe I will make one. I am embarrassed to say that I didn’t realize all the features of the website for a while and only recently saw the tabs at the top where you can see the member photos and sources. I was just reading the info page for a while. I do grow coneflowers and I adore them but they don’t bloom a long time for me. I had zinnias all summer and nearly until Christmas last year. I have tried English lavender but recently learned my best bet at my location with heat and humidity is Spanish lavender which I have never tried. absolutely love lilacs too but have never seen them in my area.

The Wild Blue Yonder is very lovely. LNO resembles this very much (or even exactly) as it fades a couple days on the plant.

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    28 days ago

Echo,

I think your rose is really Mister Lincoln, I grew it for many years in Texas and sometimes it looked just like that.

rosecanadian thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Echo_Texas_zone9a
    28 days ago

Ben, thank you for sharing that. Its very large like ML, probably 5 inches across. just thought the bloom looked very different from what ive seen previously and online.

• KittyNYz6
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

HAPPY EASTER!

It’s a sunny 50F tiday!

My kitchen roses/ poppies are staying outside on the porch loving the weather, growing the best iof any of my roses! Of course they had warmth & grow lamps during winter! They get a jump start into soring! ! I mau not take them inside anymore. Princess Butterfly rose has 2 buds opening!

YESTERDAY!

I bought Calla Lilys, hyacinth and pansies yesterday at the grocery store for Easter! Nice seeing blooming flowers on the front porch! Photos coming later….

Carol, Thank you! I am wxcited about it warming for you! Soon to put your rises outside?

Diane, Beautiful Easter W B Yonder! Are you feeling beeter? Hiw are your temps?

Loving everyone’s roses and dahlias!

Echo, Gorgeous M Lincoln!

I am a little distracted this week. Very busy….

Echo, Gorgeous dahlias! It will be fun seeing them grow in Texas! Keep them in the shade when it gets over 80F. I am having dahlia fever. right now!!!!!!…. I have 9 dahlias potted and more to pot….21 total dahlias I will pot first, then put in ground later!!!! Pretty excited! I soent an hour this morning thinking where/how to pot that many dahlias!

I know potting soil seems to give them a jump start…. so I will pot them all. In May many of the dahlias will go in the ground. (Although, some peiple just straight out plant them.)

28 days ago

Echo, beautiful Mr Lincoln! Mine looked just like that.

House next door is getting some landscaping done. First to be yanked was a very old Crystler Imperial and a Tropicana. There sre a bunch of trees to go but right now they all have nests.

Easter Basket rose

28 days ago

70+ degrees today and perfect for-the egg hunt and arrival of my Palatine order.

Carol, yes plesse on the hostessing of the new spring thread. Thank you!

• KittyNYz6
    28 days ago

Carol, Yes for me , too, for a spring thread.

Kristine, Pretty Easter Basket rose! Yay! For new lanscaping! Sorry to see the 2 roses go…..How is your Palatine order? What do they look like and what did you order? 70F+ is heavenly-my fav temp! Enjoy your gardens!

WARMING WEATHER!!!

DAHLIAS/RANUNCULUS?

Today…. looking at weather for April month, there are only 4 separate nights of 32F in the whole month!!! The rest of my days/ nights from now on are warm!!!! Day temps 40-67F April! I am thinking about putting my ceramic pots, ranunculus and dahlia pots outside soon???? Or should I wait 2 weeks? To be certain?

UPDATE: I think I will wait at least 1 week. I plan on pruning & seed planting this M/T-much already to do on my weekend M/T!

BULBS/FLOWERS BLOOMING!

I have a few bulbs blooming and my pansies. I also have recent bought pansies & calla lily blooming! Daffodils are blooming now on my property 2-3 weeks earlier than last year!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Diane - Yes, we did have a good visit. :) :) I'm really glad we went. My mom is 88 and you never know which trip that Kedra goes to see her will be the last trip. Mary is doing a bit better with her rheumatoid arthritis and can bend her fingers a tiny bit. I missed you too!! Okey-dokey, I will start the new thread tonight. :) :) And you're most welcome. :) :) :) We're -7C/19F right now and it snowed a lot last night. Tomorrow is 4C/39F and then 3 days of roses outside(YAY)...then 3 days of snow. Then, hopefully, we've broken winter's back. Happy Easter back to you and WBY...oh, my...yours is luscious!!!! :) :) That color is incredible...Diane...Queen of the Purples!!

Echo - no raspberry scent...yeah, like others say here, probably not Rouge Royale. I googled Spanish lavender...it's beyond lovely!

Kitty - Happy Easter!!! You're having wonderful weather and your roses are rejoicing!! My roses will go outside for 3 days starting Monday, and then lower temps and 3 days of snow will force them back inside. Almost at the point where they'll start again their migration in/out of garage. :) Wow!! You have 21 new dahlias...oh my goodness...they're going to be amazing for you !! I can hardly wait to see pics!!!

Kristine - That's great to hear that they've progressed to landscaping. When they have it on the market, please go inside and take pics for us! :) :) Your Easter Basket is doing well...there's blooms and buds...lovely! Egg hunt...so much fun for Azalea...I take it your family is over the cold you had? Oh, yes!!! Your Palatine order comes today!! AWESOME!!

New thread tonight. :) :)

28 days ago

Havent seen my irder yet but its ok, baking a lemon poke cake and a turkey. Still have colds but life goes on. We went to a lovely event put on by the Foster parent Association. Boy did she ( and us ) Score.The event is always bittersweet because if the hundreds of precious children in foster care. I am grateful for the wonderful families who are loving on these precious kids.

28 days ago

I checked on the removed roses next door and the roots are still there and are about 12 inches across or more. They will need a back hoe to pop them out . And their Blue Spruce needs to go which will give me a lot more sun, after afternoon sun unfortunetely. Poor guy doing it all is family, in is mid 60s and works full time as a chief. This could take a while.

• elenazone6
    28 days ago

78F in Cincinnati! Glad that Menagerie did not combined my orders and got only 6 roses in first shipment, all planted! The next 10 coming on Tuesday. Happy Easter!!

rosecanadian thanked elenazone6
  • Soozie Q, zone 10b
    28 days ago

Happy Easter from my lawn cranes! It's raining all day here & likely tomorrow, hope the rest of you have a nice sunny weekend!

rosecanadian thanked Soozie Q, zone 10b
    28 days ago

Just got NWS alert for flooding - we must be under a cell right now - tons of thunder shaking the house. Predicted 2” of rain, but this AM both rain gauges over 3” and lots of rain today. May float away. My poor seedlings! Just learned about the Miserere composed for 3 days leading up to Easter and sung in Sistine Chapel ONLY until 14-year old Mozart transcribed it from memory & let it loose in the world. Worth listening to on a rainy Holy Saturday. Got story from Lectio 365.

Anyway - hope all my so cal & coastal neighbors enjoy the rain without flooding.

🐣💐🌸🌺🌷🥀🌹

• susan9santabarbara
    28 days ago

Deborah, an hour or so ago my husband was in bed watching The Ten Commandments when I went back there and he told me there was a waterspout/tornado warning on the TV. About the same time, I saw lightning and heard thunder. And just now, one of our phones had the screaming siren alert of a flood warning. The rain has subsided a lot here at the moment :-D

28 days ago

Yup - we got all the same warnings. But it just let up a bit so I quick walked the dog & delivered Easter eggs before it gets bad again! Some people got penny sized hail! For those of you in other parts of the world - tornadoes are exceedingly rare & thunder is not common.

• KittyNYz6
    28 days ago

Happy Easter

New flowers in my garden

Calla Lilies

Pansies

Calla lily

A pansy that bloomed all season & under snow through winter to now!

Daffs blooming

Crocus

Another pansy bloomed through winter…

Stardrift

A few daffs blooming

Blessings to Deborah and Susan in CA duting the floods.

Carol, Thank you! It’scexciting that your roses will finally go outside! Woohoo!

Kristine, Lemon cake and Turkey! Yum! You are busy! What a lovely Easter you will have! The renovations next door and landscaping still sound wonderful! More sunshine for you! Woohoo!

Soozie, Sweet Easter cranes!

• seasiderooftop
    28 days ago

Happy Easter everyone!

I hope you all have a great weekend with friends and family and delicious easter treats!

Thank you all for sharing your wonderful pictures here!

• rosecanadian
    Original Author
    28 days ago

Kristine - Your roses didn't come? Maybe Monday, I guess. Mmmmm....I love lemon cake!!! I had to google what a poke cake is. It sounds utterly delicious!! Colds are no fun, that's for sure...hopefully you're on the way out of this cold. I'm glad for Azalea that you always go to the Foster Parent/kids events. :) :) That does sound like a lot of work for one older guy to do. Ugh.

Elena - Happy Easter to you too!

Soozie - I really love how you decorate your cranes...it's really fun to see what you come up with. :)

Susan and Deborah - it sounds scary to be where you live. I hope the worst is over and you can rest easier.

Kitty - Yes, it still looks like Monday is a go for the roses!! YES!! Woo hoo!! You're actually getting flowers!! Way to go!!!! I especially love your crocus and your Calla lilies!! I can't imagine having temps that allow a pansy to bloom under the snow. lol That's cool!!

HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE!!!