Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_riley0

sliding doors for laundry “closet”

4 months ago

Ok here is what I am trying to accomplish. I want to put a stackable washer/dryer in a closet (36”
Wide) in a bathroom. I would like to put French doors (each 18”) on the closet, but I would
Like the doors to open and then pivot, sliding back INTO the closet on either side, kinda of like old tv entertainment centers used to do on either side of the tv. Any insight into what those type of doors/slides are called?!

Comments (19)

• 4 months ago

Johnson makes the 1601Full Access Bifold but it does not slide back into the opening.

I would think Hafele makes the fold slide back in type but I will have to hunt it down later for you.

• 4 months ago

Be really careful of your lateral dimensions. If the closet is 36" wide on the exterior, remember to subtract the width of the wall(s) and then the clearance for the doors. You might be out of room already. Ask me how I know. ;-)

• PRO
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

You want "pocket" doors.

Yes, I understand , like the tv armoires of old.

Easier to to do 2 full 18 inch LOUVERED doors (on a ball catch) at center for ventilation.

Why don't you show the entire bath plan,

A drawing with all the dimensions.

Is it second floor? Where is it? It's the only place?

I see no point to the pivot or pocket

What are the specs? Full size stack?

Even standard size w/d only 27 inches wide

Don't think it needs to be hard

• PRO
    4 months ago

Do you need doors at all? Whose bathroom is it--yours or a powder room? In my house those doors would never be closed!

• 4 months ago

Sorry abput the lack of soecifics…we are just in the layout stage right now, looking to do the project this summer. To answer some questions;

i have ample width to make the ”closet” as wide as needed, so I’m saying the 36” is the actual opening

The closet will be directly across from the vanity, so i will have somewhat limited space there. With the door closed it is about 40” , therefore I do not want a bi-fold door that will stick out when open

Sorry, no louvered doors! just a pet peeve of mine…

I’m really just trying to find the type of hardware so they can pivot and slide INTO the closet, on either side of the w/d

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!

• PRO
    4 months ago

Well...... You can show the space you have, what you are attempting, on flat 2 dimensional fully informed plan with every foot/inch window door , bath fixture etc and helpful suggestions may follow

Or not

• 4 months ago

https://www.partitionplus.com/product-category/hawa-sliding-door/

I think this might be what you are looking for.

• 4 months ago

Download the manuals for the stackable pair you picked out. The information about required ventilation should be there. An open or mesh area on the top or bottom of the doors may serve.

• PRO
    4 months ago

Mojavemaria - EXACTLY!! Thank you so much!!

• 4 months ago

Crystal Riley / power2sell / Crystal Riley Real Estate

Confused are you all the same people?

• PRO
    4 months ago

Yes!

• PRO
    4 months ago

What is the depth of the closet? Is there enough room for a washer/dryer and whatever mechanicals are behind it? How easy is it to vent outside? No long distances or a lot of turns.

Make sure to account for the handles since that will still be sticking out into the room.

Good luck!

• 4 months ago

I hate bi-fold doors with a passion. I'd go with pocket doors over bi-fold if the pockets can be accommodated. But yea - if it's your own private bathroom, why a door at all?

• PRO
    4 months ago

For resale value, I can't have the w/d open in the primary bath. It just isn't done in my market. It's already considered weird to have it in the primary bath, but I'm doing it in anticipation of "aging" in place, LOL.

• 4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

You don't need doors at all. Get really nice cloth drapes or shower curtain and do this:

Northside Chicago · More Info

Or a bifold barn door. This is from Wayfair--won't upload. Go to Wayfair.com then search for "bifold barn door."

• 4 months ago

"For resale value, I can't have the w/d open in the primary bath. It just isn't done in my market. It's already considered weird to have it in the primary bath, but I'm doing it in anticipation of "aging" in place"

Yes, you can. Since you intend to age in place there, you should do what works best for you and not be concerned about resale -- this is such a minor thing, a door on a laundry closet is NOT going to make or break a house sale. It just isn't. If you want it open then leave it open then stick a door on it if you ever need to sell before the undertakers come if you're that concerned about it at that time.

• 4 months ago

Is this the type of door you are wanting to have?

• 4 months ago

Yes it is!

• 4 months ago

A photo you can take to hardware shops and say ‘I want hinges that do this!’ …coz I couldn’t tell you what the hinges are. 😁