Software
Houzz Logo Print
callash

Paint ceiling in a newly purchase home?

2 years ago

We just closed on a new home and are having the interior walls painted before we move in. My question is, should we also have the ceiling and trim painted while we're at it? It currently appears bright white and I can see the appeal of going with a different shade of white (BM Chantilly Lace or Decorator's White), but am not sure if it makes a big difference aesthetically. Attaching some photos so you can see that if we painted ceilings, I assume we'd pretty much have to do the full first floor due to the open layout plus all millwork, etc. I'm kind of excited by the idea but want to make sure we would notice a difference. For the walls, we'll likely go with something like BM Classic Gray, Edgecomb Gray, Silver Satin, etc. Would take any advice there as well :)





Comments (5)

  • PRO
    2 years ago

    Always a good idea to paint the ceilings if you are painting the walls. This is your one chance before furniture goes in.

    callash thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    2 years ago

    I have never had a client choose to paint the walls and not the ceiling who did not regret that decision.


    My favorite not-too-white ceiling color is PPG's Delicate White. SW and BenM both make decent copies.

    callash thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • 2 years ago

    Definately paint the ceiling and trim. For good paint adherence, wash those areas with very dilute dish soap and then rinse with clear water, using a microfiber cloth. My husband and I painted the entire inside of our home. We washed and rinsed all walls, ceilings, doors, and moldings prior to painting. It was time well spent as the paint adhered beautifully, no issues!

    callash thanked kculbers
  • 2 years ago

    Congrats on your new home. The stark white makes the ceiling above the piano area look like a paper airplane. A softer white on the ceiling will help tone that down.


    I'd encourage you to find a few complimentary greys, with subtle differences, for the first floor: One for the kitchen and connected fireplace room that really works well with the red undertones in the beautiful wood work - maybe Halo. Another for the large open spaces, like Classic Grey. And a third for the room behind the glass panel door. It is a very large space and I think a bit of difference between the spaces would be nice.


    We had an incredible color consultant do this for our entire three story home and it really helped the spaces feel connected yet each color played to the light in each of the rooms. It was such a beautiful calming progression of greys with a few more saturated choices - titanium and ozark shadows for the bathrooms.



    callash thanked Kendrah
  • 2 years ago

    Thank you so much, all! Sounds like the right decision to paint it all while we're at it.


    @kendrah, your "paper airplane" comment made me chuckle, it's so true :) Also appreciate the recommendations for slightly different tones in the 3 spaces. I'm doing a color consult this weekend and looking forward to her recommendations, but since you have such good ones I would appreciate your thoughts! Here are a few other photos so you can see the windows in the kitchen/family room. It faces southwest and gets incredible sunshine in the afternoon, and I was reading that cool undertones can be beneficial with such warmth. Any other favorite BM greiges? I've got samples of Classic Gray, Edgecomb Gray, Revere Pewter, and Coventry Gray.




Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner